Shin Godzilla Home Video Release

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Shin Godzilla Home Video Release

Post by miguelnuva »

Just ordered from rightstuf. If they do like every other pre order I'll have the film at the end of July.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I saw Funimation's limited release in the theaters back in October, but I can't remember if the in-film title card said "SHIN GODZILLA" in the tall thin lettering or "シン・ゴジラ" in the blocky katakana with a subtitle? Does anyone recall what was shown?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It was the Japanese version, complete with the katakana titles.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:TV MA rating? Why that? I almost hope Funi dubs over the English actors too. Outside of the Engrish the American actors were definitely the cringiest thing about the film. At the same time I kinda hope the other foreign actors aren't dubbed. Just to add a more "international" feel to the film.

Added in 11 minutes 47 seconds:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:Might be interesting to find some other clips of the dub cast's other work. I know some anime fans probably know these names, but none of them are familiar to me.
Lets see...

Kent Williams is Dr Gero, Android 13, Old Kai and Supreme Kai in Dragonball Z and George the Ogre in Yuyu Hakusho

J Michael Tatum is Zarbon in Dragonball Kai

Jeremy Inman is Android 16 in Dragonball Z

Todd Haberkorn in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman in Dragonball Super and Dragonball Z: Resurrection F

R. Bruce Elliott is the current voice of Captain Ginyu

Of course John Burgmeier is Tien in Dragonball and most famously Kurama in Yuyu Hakusho
Ian Sinclair, dub voice for Whis is also there.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ah yes! I knew the name I just couldn't remember who he voiced.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Biollante_lover
Ronin

Post by Biollante_lover »

I thought TV MA was used for television shows not movies. I've watched shin Godzilla, and its nowhere close to TV MA.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Biollante_lover wrote:I thought TV MA was used for television shows not movies. I've watched shin Godzilla, and its nowhere close to TV MA.
It's the blood. Ratings boards get colossal conniption fits over red blood.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

For monster blood and Anne Patterson's hot ass

EDIT: NINJA'D
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah its probably the blood. That's why Pacific Rim colored their kaiju blood neon blue.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Biollante_lover
Ronin

Post by Biollante_lover »

NSZ wrote:
Biollante_lover wrote:I thought TV MA was used for television shows not movies. I've watched shin Godzilla, and its nowhere close to TV MA.
huh. interesting. still doesn't explain why its TV MA and not R. I've never seen a movie rated TV MA before.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Biollante_lover wrote:
NSZ wrote:
huh. interesting. still doesn't explain why its TV MA and not R. I've never seen a movie rated TV MA before.
Funimation probably uses TV ratings as their default rating system because they mostly release TV shows. Even the AoT films were TV-MA, but of course, that was more justified.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

August 1st. Excellent!

My initial gauging was 'Well, look at the Attack on Titan films, took them over a year'.....then when I heard rumblings of "August"....I of course expected the worst cast scenario of the LAST Tuesday in August, the 29th.

But August 1st, a pleasant surprise. Hot damn I can't wait. Also very happy that Funimation is at least including SOME semblance of a "bonus feature" on the disc, instead of just making it blatantly bare bones.

As a Godzilla fan in North America, the discs we get are typically barren, so ANY modicum of 'bonus features' is always something I cherish.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I would suggest that the reason why Funimation used the TV Parental Guidelines (TV-Y, TV-V7, TV-G, TV-PG, TV-14, TV-MA, Descriptors D, L, S, V and FV) is because they can rate their own program. Getting a theatrical rating (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17) means submitting the film to the MPAA and waiting for a decision. For a small company, that may take a while.

I saw nothing in Shin Godzilla that would warrant an R or a TV-MA. A PG-13 or a TV-14 would be an appropriate rating. While Godzilla does gush a lot of blood during this film, there isn't any gore to speak of.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Yeah, there isn't anything about Shin that warrants beyond a PG-13 rating.

Lord Krit
Samurai

Post by Lord Krit »

I've looked into the cast. What was interesting is that this will be Ed Blaylock's (Sengoku, King Bradley) last film role, he will play Azuma.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

An unfortunate side effect of the enormous cast in a foreign film, featuring many actors who are basically unknown in the US and English cast listings that have very scant details for a lot of minor characters, is that I wasn't able to match all the VAs to their characters. I managed to match all but one of them to the names of their characters and original actors when I was adding the dub cast to IMDb, but I don't know who all of them actually are.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

I'm really excited that we technically finally have an R Rated Godzilla movie. I'm gonna tell all my friends that think all Godzilla movies are cheesy (not all of my friends do, one of my friends is a huge G fan, some of them though), I'm gonna tell them that this movie is Rated R.

Before you say...BRUH IT'S TV-MA!

They don't need to know that :D
LONG LIVE THE KING

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

So apparently the retail price is nearly $35? I feel like that's a little overpriced. At least, that's what it said on the funimation pre-order page.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Monster Zero wrote:So apparently the retail price is nearly $35? I feel like that's a little overpriced. At least, that's what it said on the funimation pre-order page.
Then DON'T order it from FUNimation. Wait for Wal-Mart - or some other big discount B&M chain - to get it in. I doubt that it will be much more than what AoT Pt. I or II were...

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

MandaSaurus wrote:
Monster Zero wrote:So apparently the retail price is nearly $35? I feel like that's a little overpriced. At least, that's what it said on the funimation pre-order page.
Then DON'T order it from FUNimation. Wait for Wal-Mart - or some other big discount B&M chain - to get it in. I doubt that it will be much more than what AoT Pt. I or II were...
Okay, I see. I thought that when they said retail that it meant all stores that would be selling it later in August. I guess I didn't realize right away that the prices would be different... Whoops, my bad. :-x