Shin Godzilla Home Video Release

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shin Godzilla Home Video Release

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I still wish we would've gotten some more special features. Haven't watched the Godzilla vs The Nerds thing yet- how good is it?

Overall the dvd is pretty good.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I still wish we would've gotten some more special features. Haven't watched the Godzilla vs The Nerds thing yet- how good is it?

Overall the dvd is pretty good.
It was okay. It's just Matt Frank and some Funimation guys talking about Godzilla for a half an hour. Nothing special. Would've been better if they got some of the previs stuff at least.

The Kongfather
Yojimbo

Post by The Kongfather »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Jory wrote:I just noticed the Blu-ray has reversible cover art. Nice touch. :mrgreen:
Not really, it's more like transparent art for the inside of the case (apparently Funimation forgot to make the case transparent). The reverse side doesn't have the title on the spine and the logo is cut off on the front side.
Yeah, I don't get why so many Blu-rays have reversible covers that aren't actually covers, but I still flipped mine for the hell of it since it's hidden by a slipcover anyway. I wish the Toho Godzilla Collection Blu-rays had the titles on the reversible cover's spine because the poster art is awesome.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Can the Ultraviolet only be redeemed with Vudu?
No Flixster or etc lol?
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Haven't watched the Godzilla vs The Nerds thing yet- how good is it?
Terrible. They really shouldn't have used Funimation employees to make up 75% of the panel when LA is full of people with a lot more credentials for talking about Godzilla. Almost nothing of substance is said; their analysis mostly consists of, "Remember the part where that thing happened? That was cool."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Haven't watched the Godzilla vs The Nerds thing yet- how good is it?
Terrible. They really shouldn't have used Funimation employees to make up 75% of the panel when LA is full of people with a lot more credentials for talking about Godzilla. Almost nothing of substance is said; their analysis mostly consists of, "Remember the part where that thing happened? That was cool."
Yeah, it's a bunch of wannabe otaku's talking about things they know next to nothing about.

Basically, it's like listening to the average joe talk about Godzilla. Plus Matt Frank.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Showa Gyaos wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Yeah, it's a bunch of wannabe otaku's talking about things they know next to nothing about.

Basically, it's like listening to the average joe talk about Godzilla. Plus Matt Frank.
Well it'll be cool to see Matt Frank since I met him once.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I watched it last night and it was like a video tape of a forum conversation almost and people didn't even know what they were talking about, one guy referred to SpaceGodzilla while talking about the Millennium series.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Matt's a cool guy; I don't know if I'd call the interview your "average Joe" talking about Godzilla per se, but more like your average casual fan. It kind of just felt like one of those mainstream geek culture YouTube videos where three to five guys who are into moderately nerdy stuff sit around a table and talk about something on a really superficial level - the kind of guys Red Letter Media like to make fun of - with Matt Frank stuck in the middle biting his tongue as this other guy practically in the same breath says past Godzilla movies haven't really had good female characters and then names Kiryu as his favorite monster.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Matt's a cool guy; I don't know if I'd call the interview your "average Joe" talking about Godzilla per se, but more like your average casual fan. It kind of just felt like one of those mainstream geek culture YouTube videos where three to five guys who are into moderately nerdy stuff sit around a table and talk about something on a really superficial level - the kind of guys Red Letter Media like to make fun of - with Matt Frank stuck in the middle biting his tongue as this other guy practically in the same breath says past Godzilla movies haven't really had good female characters and then names Kiryu as his favorite monster.
Yeah, your description is better and more accurate.

I may or may not have been salty throughout the day when I typed that post up. I don't remember, honestly.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Yeah that nerd feature was really off putting imo. I for one am tired of the geek culture in general. It's just like the whole time I was thinking come on dude this just killed the whole badassness of the blu ray experience.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I'm just puzzled why Funimation felt that would add any value to the release, most Godzilla releases have no features and we buy anyway.

Also, trailers feature is annoying, it's not Shin Godzilla trailers it's Funimation release trailers.

Biollante_lover
Ronin

Post by Biollante_lover »

so I just bought shin Godzilla and its rated TV-14. whatever happened to it being rated MA?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Who knows? Maybe the original rating was a mistake; maybe they changed something. My guess is you don't have to go through the same kind of process with TV content ratings that you do with movies, so they just rated it themselves as they saw fit instead of going through the hassle and expense of getting an MPAA rating.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

eabaker wrote:
Well, in fairness, we filmed this in Dallas, not LA ;)
Trust me, I would have loved to have gotten more folks together, but it was pretty short notice. As I understand it, Funimation just couldn't get any special features in time for the release, so they wanted to put something together. I was really happy to be on it but I will admit, I was trying very hard not to bowl over these 3 super nice guys who I had literally just met for the first time who all liked Godzilla, but didn't have the brain-destroying fountains of information pouring out of their heads like I did.

Regardless, I'm hoping that a "special edition" is made available sometime soon! Maybe they'll use the poster I made for them as an additional DVD cover!
Last edited by Kaijusamurai on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Kaijusamurai wrote:Well, in fairness, we filmed this in Dallas, not LA ;)
Trust me, I would have loved to have gotten more folks together, but it was pretty short notice. As I understand it, Funimation just couldn't get any special features in time for the release, so they wanted to put something together. I was really happy to be on it but I will admit, I was trying very hard not to bowl over these 3 super nice guys who I had literally just met for the first time who all liked Godzilla, but didn't have the brain-destroying fountains of information pouring out of their heads like I did.

Regardless, I'm hoping that a "special edition" is made available sometime soon! Maybe they'll use the poster I made for them as an additional DVD cover!
It would be nice to see another version come out; I'd love to see some of the Japanese extras translated and perhaps a commentary track if they can find an older Godzilla scholar type who didn't hate the movie. I'm also not a terribly big fan of the "Godzilla in profile against a red background" design, so some other artwork would definitely be nice. It's odd that time came to be such a factor in it; obviously Toho can be a difficult company to deal with, but Funimation had nearly a year between securing distribution rights and the home release date - hell, Sony included behind-the-scenes material for TSOS and Final Wars in a similar time frame, and they certainly don't seem to care a whole lot for these movies. I've never had to haggle with corporate lawyers, though, so obviously my opinion on this isn't terribly informed.

As a side note, I find it interesting that at least two really prominent anime distributors have been based out of Texas of all places. I even looked up Funimation to see if it was one of those companies that sort of formed in the aftermath of ADV shutting down, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

No but Funimation did buy up a lot of the properties that ADV held and several of their voice actors as well. Funimation has existed every bit as long as ADV has. Hell they started dubbing Dragonball back in the mid 90s.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Kaijusamurai wrote:

Woah its Matt Frank!!! :D To be honest I don't think I would of had the patience to not correct thoss guys :lol: .

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaijusamurai wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought Funimation was based out of LA. Probably just my arrogant LA-centricity. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

eabaker wrote:I stand corrected. For some reason, I thought Funimation was based out of LA. Probably just my arrogant LA-centricity. :)
From a quick survey of American anime distributors on Wikipedia whose names I recognized, there are a few in California, but it looks like mostly in SF or outside of LA proper. Media Blasters is in NYC. However, Funimation, ADV and Sentai Filmworks (which was one of ADV's successors) are/were all in Texas, and there are a couple others in odd places like North Carolina and Florida as well.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon