Shin Godzilla Home Video Release

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Re: Shin Godzilla Home Video Release

Post by Kaijusamurai »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaijusamurai wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Haven't watched the Godzilla vs The Nerds thing yet- how good is it?
Well, in fairness, we filmed this in Dallas, not LA ;)
Trust me, I would have loved to have gotten more folks together, but it was pretty short notice. As I understand it, Funimation just couldn't get any special features in time for the release, so they wanted to put something together. I was really happy to be on it but I will admit, I was trying very hard not to bowl over these 3 super nice guys who I had literally just met for the first time who all liked Godzilla, but didn't have the brain-destroying fountains of information pouring out of their heads like I did.

Regardless, I'm hoping that a "special edition" is made available sometime soon! Maybe they'll use the poster I made for them as an additional DVD cover!
Woah its Matt Frank!!! :D To be honest I don't think I would of had the patience to not correct thoss guys :lol: .
LOL well they're good guys and they were correct on most of their stuff. I just didn't want to be a dick and bowl them over because then I'd be "that guy."

Added in 10 minutes 55 seconds:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Kaijusamurai wrote:Well, in fairness, we filmed this in Dallas, not LA ;)
Trust me, I would have loved to have gotten more folks together, but it was pretty short notice. As I understand it, Funimation just couldn't get any special features in time for the release, so they wanted to put something together. I was really happy to be on it but I will admit, I was trying very hard not to bowl over these 3 super nice guys who I had literally just met for the first time who all liked Godzilla, but didn't have the brain-destroying fountains of information pouring out of their heads like I did.

Regardless, I'm hoping that a "special edition" is made available sometime soon! Maybe they'll use the poster I made for them as an additional DVD cover!
It would be nice to see another version come out; I'd love to see some of the Japanese extras translated and perhaps a commentary track if they can find an older Godzilla scholar type who didn't hate the movie. I'm also not a terribly big fan of the "Godzilla in profile against a red background" design, so some other artwork would definitely be nice. It's odd that time came to be such a factor in it; obviously Toho can be a difficult company to deal with, but Funimation had nearly a year between securing distribution rights and the home release date - hell, Sony included behind-the-scenes material for TSOS and Final Wars in a similar time frame, and they certainly don't seem to care a whole lot for these movies. I've never had to haggle with corporate lawyers, though, so obviously my opinion on this isn't terribly informed.
Unfortunately the "Godzilla against the red background" was all Toho would give them aside from the reverse-blu-ray cover image.
Trust me, this stuff can take a WHILE. I did this poster for Funimation last August and Toho didn't fully approve it until June :huge: That's just how it goes sometimes!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^Thats epic!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That's the thing though; that reverse image would've been a much better cover IMO! It looks a lot more impressive, and yet it was only used for a virtually invisible reverse image that can't double as a cover, and a slipcover variant in Australia.

Don't get me wrong, though; I do appreciate Funimation doing what they could! It's just a bit disappointing that they had such severe limitations placed on them.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The Australian Blu Ray does have the Japanese titles right?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The Australian Blu Ray does have the Japanese titles right?
If you mean the ones used to name the characters and locations, no. They're handled the same way as in the US release.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: It would be nice to see another version come out; I'd love to see some of the Japanese extras translated and perhaps a commentary track if they can find an older Godzilla scholar type who didn't hate the movie.
I do not think that a critical commentary could do the film justice unless the commentator was familiar not only with the Godzilla series but Anno's oeuvre and the contemporary issues both in and outside of Japan which the movie attempts to address. I'd fail on the second requirement.

I am not sure that Funimation was especially committed to putting out well-featured discs, their previous live action releases for the Titan films weren't meaty either.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

G-Matt wrote: If you mean the ones used to name the characters and locations, no. They're handled the same way as in the US release.
That's a shame. Might as well just torrent the film then.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Great Hierophant wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote: It would be nice to see another version come out; I'd love to see some of the Japanese extras translated and perhaps a commentary track if they can find an older Godzilla scholar type who didn't hate the movie.
I do not think that a critical commentary could do the film justice unless the commentator was familiar not only with the Godzilla series but Anno's oeuvre and the contemporary issues both in and outside of Japan which the movie attempts to address. I'd fail on the second requirement.

I am not sure that Funimation was especially committed to putting out well-featured discs, their previous live action releases for the Titan films weren't meaty either.
Those were also Toho releases; they're not exactly the best thing to go by. I don't own any other Funimation releases myself, but from the reviews I've read it sounds like the Rebuild of Evangelion films at least have a good deal of extras included - trailers and TV spots at least, some behind-the-scenes material too.

As for a critical commentary, I'm sure you could find someone with the requisite knowledge on all the points you just described. Hell, you could probably find plenty of people on this board alone who could tell you all about both Godzilla and Anno's previous work; finding an academic or a critic who also knows Japanese politics isn't that much of a stretch, it would just mean going beyond the usual pool of old guard big name fans.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Demiurge
Ronin

Post by Demiurge »

Manga UK via Facebook:
Want the lowdown on our Shin Godzilla release, coming December 4th? Look no further!

Our Shin Godzilla DVD and Blu-ray releases will both be comprised of two discs each -
Disc One: Original Japanese Version with JPN audio, untouched JPN on-screen text and ENG subtitles
Disc Two: ENG audio & localised ENG on-screen text

Housed in on-theme black cases, both DVD & Blu-ray will also include over an hour of extras in the form of ‘Pre-visuals & Outtakes’, a ‘Pre-visual Reel’ and ‘Making VFX - Shin Godzilla Visual Effects Breakdown’.
Same special features as the Australian release, and I believe it's also the first English-friendly home video release that preserves the Japanese on-screen text.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Hopefully that BR is Region A so I can import it and dump the Funimation release.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

UltramanGoji wrote:Hopefully that BR is Region A so I can import it and dump the Funimation release.
It's a different Region because it's in Europe

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzillian wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Hopefully that BR is Region A so I can import it and dump the Funimation release.
Not always the case. Some UK releases are Region A. They're completely different from DVD regions.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Not always the case. Some UK releases are Region A. They're completely different from DVD regions.
Actually, you don't have to enforce region encoding on a Blu-ray and many more Blu-ray discs do not compared to DVD discs. But if a true U.K. (and not an import) disc enforces a region, it will be Region B, not Region A.

Demiurge
Ronin

Post by Demiurge »

A guy on Facebook asked "Is it region free?" and Manga replied "No, Region 2/B", so it would seem it will be Region B-locked. No surprise, since that's how it usually goes with smaller companies licensing titles from bigger studios. They're required to lock their editions as they only acquire the rights to release these films in their specific territory.

I realize funds and priorities are going to vary from person to person, but if you can it's worth investing in a multi-region player, they can be found pretty cheap now. Going region free really opens up a whole new world of film collecting possibilities.