Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Apgigan
Monsterland Worker

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by Apgigan »

This has probably been said a million times but I feel like the anime is ok for what it is but honestly I feel like it was a huge missed opportunity. It’s definitely a disappointment in many ways, but it isn’t the huge garbage fire as people make it out to be.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Well today marks the day the anime trilogy hype officially ends for me. Planet Eaters blu ray came in the mail today. I got all the special addition blu rays and the 30cm X-Plus figure. A nice haul for the trilogy. Now all focus goes back to the Monsterverse.

My last thoughts are that I really enjoyed this trilogies uniqueness, but definitely recognize missed opportunities in a anime format. That has to do with the TYPE of cgi anime they used.. as there’s limits there. The cgi was just ok... looked good in moments and sluggish in moments. I enjoyed the story.
Last edited by Cookson on Thu May 23, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I really appreciated this trilogy for being so unique and different. I LOVE KOTM but it doesn't add any new ideas to the series which isn't a bad thing at all. It just means that I appreciate having this trilogy as an alternate take on Godzilla.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

cloverfan98 wrote:I really appreciated this trilogy for being so unique and different. I LOVE KOTM but it doesn't add any new ideas to the series which isn't a bad thing at all. It just means that I appreciate having this trilogy as an alternate take on Godzilla.
yeah, i didn't like the films themselves but they had some really good ideas. both the anime films and shin proved that it's possible to take the big G out of his element, but the former just couldn't land the hit.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by American Godzilla »

I have voluntarily deleted my comments.
Last edited by American Godzilla on Sun May 26, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

American Godzilla wrote:I appreciated Toho trying to take a stab at putting Godzilla in an Anime film. Many of their creature concepts were intriguing, but fell short of being as good as I would have liked or expected them to be. For example...

1: Their MechaGodzilla was made up of these (to me) dangerous nanometal technology (so dangerous that I would NOT want the Star Trek Borg to learn of this technology... the Federation would be in soo much trouble). But making MG as a city to fight Godzilla was a huge disappointment.

2: Their Anime/Void Ghidorah had a lot of Lovecraftian themes (a creative twist on the monster, one I thought a positive one when I heard of it before seeing the film). That being said, the final product seen in the movie was also a HUGE disappointment. Despite being Cthulhu-like, to me it's weaker than Cthulhu as it has the world's biggest weakspot, a fragile eye-piece that enables Ghidorah to see in our realm but if destroyed he's weaker than a Zilla! If any Kaiju knew about this eye-piece, even the ShoudaiGhidorah could take on Anime Ghidorah.

3: 'Godzilla Earth' was also a mix bag here to me. Being part plant is a huge departure from Godzilla's origins and species, something I didn't care for. That said I liked its large breath range. However, like the Anime Ghidorah, take away its 'invulnerability' (for Ghidorah it was its intangibility, for Godzilla it was his shield) and he seems not as durable as other Gojiras of similar size/weight. Plus this Godzilla is really slow! Being 318 meters tall is a plus for long-ranged attacks, but up close against (say) 2019 Godzilla and Anime Gojira would have a tough time hitting the Legendary Godzilla. In a nutshell, without Anime Gojira's shield, other Godzillas could take it down (2019 Gojira, Burning Gojira).
2019 Godzilla could not take down Anime Godzilla lol. Anime Godzilla would just punt him away with his tail and regenerate from any damage (if G2019 could even hurt him), discounting the fact that he could probably just, uh, LOOK DOWN and shoot his atomic breath. Anime Godzilla tanked 2,000 nuclear warheads and was crushed under a tectonic plate at 50 meters, not to mention being hit by his own breath and suffering a non-permanent injury. The only weapon we see in the films to actually hurt him is the nanometal harpoon, which had to hit him in a weakspot to hurt him and is specially designed to counteract his fast healing. LegendaryGoji and AnimeGoji are on 2 different levels of power, they're not even comparable. The only Godzillas that could possible challenge AnimeGoji would be Shin (if he evolved), Burning, and Powered-Up Final Wars.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
American Godzilla wrote: 3: 'Godzilla Earth' was also a mix bag here to me. Being part plant is a huge departure from Godzilla's origins and species, something I didn't care for. That said I liked its large breath range. However, like the Anime Ghidorah, take away its 'invulnerability' (for Ghidorah it was its intangibility, for Godzilla it was his shield) and he seems not as durable as other Gojiras of similar size/weight. Plus this Godzilla is really slow! Being 318 meters tall is a plus for long-ranged attacks, but up close against (say) 2019 Godzilla and Anime Gojira would have a tough time hitting the Legendary Godzilla. In a nutshell, without Anime Gojira's shield, other Godzillas could take it down (2019 Gojira, Burning Gojira).
2019 Godzilla could not take down Anime Godzilla lol. Anime Godzilla would just punt him away with his tail and regenerate from any damage (if G2019 could even hurt him), discounting the fact that he could probably just, uh, LOOK DOWN and shoot his atomic breath. Anime Godzilla tanked 2,000 nuclear warheads and was crushed under a tectonic plate at 50 meters, not to mention being hit by his own breath and suffering a non-permanent injury. The only weapon we see in the films to actually hurt him is the nanometal harpoon, which had to hit him in a weakspot to hurt him and is specially designed to counteract his fast healing. LegendaryGoji and AnimeGoji are on 2 different levels of power, they're not even comparable. The only Godzillas that could possible challenge AnimeGoji would be Shin (if he evolved), Burning, and Powered-Up Final Wars.
Not to mention Godzilla Earth took out three black holes in succession with his normal atomic breath, a pretty incredible feat. Barely anything can survive that, much less when he glows red and charges it. Or his tail beam thing could decimate anything within its range, for example it destroyed a forest made out of his skin. His oscillatory roar is another weapon to be weary of.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

I have voluntarily deleted my comments.
Last edited by American Godzilla on Sun May 26, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

HGDFDF

Added in 20 minutes 22 seconds:
American Godzilla wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
American Godzilla wrote:I appreciated Toho trying to take a stab at putting Godzilla in an Anime film. Many of their creature concepts were intriguing, but fell short of being as good as I would have liked or expected them to be. For example...

1: Their MechaGodzilla was made up of these (to me) dangerous nanometal technology (so dangerous that I would NOT want the Star Trek Borg to learn of this technology... the Federation would be in soo much trouble). But making MG as a city to fight Godzilla was a huge disappointment.

2: Their Anime/Void Ghidorah had a lot of Lovecraftian themes (a creative twist on the monster, one I thought a positive one when I heard of it before seeing the film). That being said, the final product seen in the movie was also a HUGE disappointment. Despite being Cthulhu-like, to me it's weaker than Cthulhu as it has the world's biggest weakspot, a fragile eye-piece that enables Ghidorah to see in our realm but if destroyed he's weaker than a Zilla! If any Kaiju knew about this eye-piece, even the ShoudaiGhidorah could take on Anime Ghidorah.

3: 'Godzilla Earth' was also a mix bag here to me. Being part plant is a huge departure from Godzilla's origins and species, something I didn't care for. That said I liked its large breath range. However, like the Anime Ghidorah, take away its 'invulnerability' (for Ghidorah it was its intangibility, for Godzilla it was his shield) and he seems not as durable as other Gojiras of similar size/weight. Plus this Godzilla is really slow! Being 318 meters tall is a plus for long-ranged attacks, but up close against (say) 2019 Godzilla and Anime Gojira would have a tough time hitting the Legendary Godzilla. In a nutshell, without Anime Gojira's shield, other Godzillas could take it down (2019 Gojira, Burning Gojira).
Anime Gojira might not be able to 'punt 2019 Godzilla' away so easily. If the trailers are any indication the 2019 Godzilla seems to be able to run at a good clip (well, for a nearly 100k ton kaiju). Now he's no 1998 Godzilla who could run at 300 mph, but 2019 Godzilla is still faster than the iceberg of a kaiju Anime Godzilla. The Anime Godzilla's shielding is impressive durability wise, but you see Anime Godzilla uses that shield for defense way more than his own armor hide and regeneration. If Anime Gojira's own armor skin was as good as the shield, he wouldn't need it... so I therefore assume that Anime Gojira's armor skin is not nearly as tough as the shield. Look at scifi movies/shows, like the classic Independence Day movie or the Star Trek series for instance. Their shielding are so tough that they can tank nukes too, but the armor plating of said ships are rather poor in comparison to their shields. If an animal evolves to have a shield, it's not going to develop a very tough hide as a result (kind of like Anime Ghidorah, who evolved to have intangibility so why would you need armor hide).

Because the movie makers never gave us a proper kaiju brawl in the Anime Trilogy (as promised), it's hard to really gauge how good Anime Godzilla's armor skin and regeneration are. For 2019 Godzilla, which according to recent trailers seem to have confirmed, gets dropped from the stratosphere (the bottom layer is 6 miles above the ground, upper layer is 31 miles). So we know that 2019 Godzilla has a very epic armor hide for Ghidorah to drop him like this in the first place. It is with the above reasons that I believe that in a brawl 2019 Godzilla would have the edge once Anime Gojira's shields were down. To make it a 'fair fight', I would believe that if Anime Gojira's own atomic breath can cancel out its shield then the same would be true for 2019 Godzilla's breath weapon.

I still say that Anime Gojira's super tall stature, while provides him with VERY long ranged attacks, is DISADVANTAGEOUS for melee combat against someone small enough to hide in Anime Gojira's blind spots, making Anime G not as effective in close combat vs a Kaiju who is just as strong (and weight) as the big Anime plant monster.
ANimeGoji moves deceptively quickly-G:COTEOB states he moves at 37 KM/H, and he was able to very quickly swing his tail around to slap Mechagodzilla city and launch his tail shockwave attack. KOTM Godzilla wouldn't stand a chance in a melee with Godzilla earth as Godzilla earth is too durable and regenerates too quickly.

Just because Anime Godzilla uses his shield more than he does his regeneration does not mean his durability is weak without the shield. It's a philosophy used by tanks in the modern age: Even if you have fantastic armor, having countermeasures to make sure that you don't even get hit is better. To wit: The latest Russian MBT, the T-14 armata, has some of the best armor in the world, capable of soaking up rounds from almost all western designed tank cannons without damage. However, it also has active protection systems such as afghanit which prevent projectiles from even hitting it in the first place. Taking proactive measures against enemy fire does not mean something has weak armor, that means it only has even better defenses. The prequel novels state that Anime Godzilla has layer upon layer of armored skin that can recover from being turned to plasma by a nuclear weapon in seconds, and that to pierce Godzilla's skin, Nanometal (which was designed specifically to counter Godzilla) would have to harden to 10X the hardness of diamond PLUS have momentum from dropping through the atmosphere to penetrate Godzilla's flesh. As seen in the trailers for KOTM, Godzilla's regeneration there is not nearly as good as that of the Toho Godzillas (In one shot he's missing a part of his forehead). He also has noticeable wounds after his fight with MUTO prime. Anime Godzilla stomps in terms of durability both with and without the shield.

You're inferring and assuming way to much without evidence or research. Anime Godzilla's beam is a bio-electrical particle beam, while KOTM's is simply a wave on nuclear energy created by exhaling after charging up. They're 2 completely different things, so there's no reason why KOTM's beam should be able to penetrate AnimeGoji's shield. According to reviews of KOTM,
Spoiler:
this drop that KOTMGoji survived also knocked him completely out of the fight, and he would have died if not for Mothra's intervention.
As a baby, Godzilla Earth survives exposure to 2000 nuclear weapons without the shield as well as being crushed beneath a tectonic plate, which weighs around 40 sextillion kilograms. Anime Godzilla would win in either a brawl or a long-range beam spam, as he has more going for him in a fight:

ANIME GODZILLA
+Regeneration
+Offensive capability
+Durability
+Active protection
+Intelligence
+Size

KOTM GODZILLA
+Speed
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sun May 26, 2019 11:50 am, edited 5 times in total.

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

Gawdziller1954 wrote:HGDFDF

American Godzilla wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: ANimeGoji moves deceptively quickly-G:COTEOB states he moves at 37 KM/H, and he was able to very quickly swing his tail around to slap Mechagodzilla city and launch his tail shockwave attack. KOTM Godzilla wouldn't stand a chance in a melee with Godzilla earth as Godzilla earth is too durable and regenerates too quickly.

Just because Anime Godzilla uses his shield more than he does his regeneration does not mean his durability is weak without the shield. It's a philosophy used by tanks in the modern age: Even if you have fantastic armor, having countermeasures to make sure that you don't even get hit is better. To wit: The latest Russian MBT, the T-14 armata, has some of the best armor in the world, capable of soaking up rounds from almost all western designed tank cannons without damage. However, it also has active protection systems such as afghanit which prevent projectiles from even hitting it in the first place. Taking proactive measures against enemy fire does not mean something has weak armor, that means it only has even better defenses. The prequel novels state that Anime Godzilla has layer upon layer of armored skin that can recover from being turned to plasma by a nuclear weapon in seconds, and that to pierce Godzilla's skin, Nanometal (which was designed specifically to counter Godzilla) would have to harden to 10X the hardness of diamond PLUS have momentum from dropping through the atmosphere to penetrate Godzilla's flesh. As seen in the trailers for KOTM, Godzilla's regeneration there is not nearly as good as that of the Toho Godzillas (In one shot he's missing a part of his forehead). He also has noticeable wounds after his fight with MUTO prime. Anime Godzilla stomps in terms of durability both with and without the shield.

You're inferring and assuming way to much without evidence or research. Anime Godzilla's beam is a bio-electrical particle beam, while KOTM's is simply a wave on nuclear energy created by exhaling after charging up. They're 2 completely different things, so there's no reason why KOTM's beam should be able to penetrate AnimeGoji's shield. According to reviews of KOTM,
Spoiler:
this drop that KOTMGoji survived also knocked him completely out of the fight, and he would have died if not for Mothra's intervention.
As a baby, Godzilla Earth survives exposure to 2000 nuclear weapons without the shield as well as being crushed beneath a tectonic plate, which weighs around 40 sextillion kilograms. Anime Godzilla would win in either a brawl or a long-range beam spam, as he has more going for him in a fight:

ANIME GODZILLA
+Regeneration
+Offensive capability
+Durability
+Active protection
+Intelligence
+Size

KOTM GODZILLA
+Speed
1: Sorry if I got you upset about this topic (if I did), that was not my intention. I was simply trying to have a friendly debate.

2: I had not read the prequel novels as they were in Japanese (last I remembered) so all of my knowledge was from the Anime films. You do bring up some good points about Anime Gojira. It was wrong of me to assume much without knowing the books and the movies as I only knew the movies.

3: The only reason I said 2019 Gojira's breath hurting Anime Gojira despite the shield was to start a 'friendly debate' on "If the Anime Godzilla did not have its shielding, would the 2019 Godzilla have a chance at victory?" We can ignore this for a "Fantasy Match" page.

Again, I am sorry for my lack of info when making my assumptions. I didn't care for the Anime films overall, they tried to be good but to me Toho missed a lot of opportunities to make them even better.

I will bow out of this thread, or at least erase my wrong posts from this thread, and not mess things up here again. Thank you again for informing me more on the Anime Godzilla (I had let my dislike for the films, for a moment, to make me have a lower opinion on its monsters. Anime Ghidorah for instance is a tough one... until you know its weakness and it's easier to kill than a 1998 Zilla. To me it felt like the Godzilla Filius was killed by "conventional means" by the humans when I thought it always took humans to use futuristic and very dangerous weapons just to take-down/rival Godzilla. That to me was extremely disappointing, I was hoping for the Anime counterpart to the "oxygen destroyer" or something like that).
Last edited by American Godzilla on Sun May 26, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

American Godzilla wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:HGDFDF

American Godzilla wrote:
1: Sorry if I got you upset about this topic (if I did), that was not my intention. I was simply trying to have a friendly debate.

2: I had not read the prequel novels as they were in Japanese (last I remembered) so all of my knowledge was from the Anime films. You do bring up some good points about Anime Gojira. It was wrong of me to assume much without knowing the books and the movies as I only knew the movies.

3: The only reason I said 2019 Gojira's breath hurting Anime Gojira despite the shield was to start a 'friendly debate' on "If the Anime Godzilla did not have its shielding, would the 2019 Godzilla have a chance at victory?" We can ignore this for a "Fantasy Match" page.

Again, I am sorry for my lack of info when making my assumptions. I didn't care for the Anime films overall, they tried to be good but to me Toho missed a lot of opportunities to make them even better.

I will bow out of this thread, or at least erase my wrong posts from this thread, and not mess things up here again. Thank you again for informing me more on the Anime Godzilla (I had let my dislike for the films, for a moment, to make me have a lower opinion on its monsters. Anime Ghidorah for instance is a tough one... until you know its weakness and it's easier to kill than a 1998 Zilla. To me it felt like the Godzilla Filius was killed by "conventional means" by the humans when I thought it always took humans to use futuristic and very dangerous weapons just to take-down/rival Godzilla. That to me was extremely disappointing, I was hoping for the Anime counterpart to the "oxygen destroyer" or something like that).
1. What? HGHDF Was some wierd vomit that got posted instead of the original quote.

2. There's plenty info on the novels on Wikizilla as well as Godzilla himself there.

3. Ghidorah incorrectly manifested BTW: Had Haruo actually agreed to Metphie's plan Ghidorah would have been able to fully manifest correctly. Metphies was too weak a host to allow it to manifest.

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

I have a question... does anyone have the booklet seen in this image

All I want to see, in clear and not angled, is that page of the Void Ghidorah showing its top and side views. I absolutely love this version Ghidorah (if it can KO Godzilla Earth, as long as Gojira doesn't receive help) then it can take on any Toho Kaiju! I have not (yet) been able to find this image online.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

American Godzilla wrote: That being said, the final product seen in the movie was also a HUGE disappointment. Despite being Cthulhu-like, to me it's weaker than Cthulhu as it has the world's biggest weakspot, a fragile eye-piece that enables Ghidorah to see in our realm but if destroyed he's weaker than a Zilla!
-laughs-

Cthulhu himself is weaker than Zilla. The guy was defeated by being rammed with a ship.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
American Godzilla wrote: That being said, the final product seen in the movie was also a HUGE disappointment. Despite being Cthulhu-like, to me it's weaker than Cthulhu as it has the world's biggest weakspot, a fragile eye-piece that enables Ghidorah to see in our realm but if destroyed he's weaker than a Zilla!
-laughs-

Cthulhu himself is weaker than Zilla. The guy was defeated by being rammed with a ship.

For Cthulhu that's different. See the cultists were heading for R'lyeh before they were intercepted and killed by strangers/investigators. Why Cthulhu left after getting hit on the head (even with him regenerating his head after that hit by the boat) had nothing to do with the boat.

I have always interpreted it as this: The cultists were heading for the island to perform a ritual to summon Cthulhu, that way the "stars would be right" and the world would belong to Cthulhu. Because he was NOT summoned/awakened by some ritual but by strangers who didn't know what they were doing, Cthulhu was not at full power and the "stars were not right". Cthulhu didn't realize this until the boat hit his head, which is why he and the island sank into the sea.

So in this sense, Void Ghidorah (to me Eldritch Ghidorah) is akin to Cthulhu in this respect. When not summoned properly (in this case, someone who has a hate for something/someone to kill and has that Captain Ahab mentality) to let Ghidorah be at full power and emerge in our realm with its whole body. Can you think of another version of Ghidorah (or Cthulhu for that matter) who can instantly destroy the Earth just by being summoned as Ghidorah would have been if Haruo called for him?

The Exif were Vulcan-like to me in that they didn't seem to have a lot of emotion, so they despite having the desire to follow Ghidorah could not properly summon him on their own. Even with the eye-piece bit, this Ghidorah displayed a LOT more power and danger than Cthulhu did when not properly summoned.

Remember, both Cthulhu and Eldritch Ghidorah are immortal so they're not dead (in our sense) but waiting for the next time "the stars are right" to take over the planet and turn us into Deep Ones/fish-folk (or instantly devour us all if Ghidorah emerges before Cthulhu)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

American Godzilla wrote:I have a question... does anyone have the booklet seen in this image

All I want to see, in clear and not angled, is that page of the Void Ghidorah showing its top and side views. I absolutely love this version Ghidorah (if it can KO Godzilla Earth, as long as Gojira doesn't receive help) then it can take on any Toho Kaiju! I have not (yet) been able to find this image online.
No but they`re easily listed on the Godzilla store in Japan.
https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSB0010043/

I could order these very easily, but I`m not dropping that much money on a movie that I can see on netflix for free just for a few pamphlets.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

I had a thought(s) about the "Planet Eater" film...

...if their Ghidorah is a very Lovcraftian entity, then shouldn't they have made it with some more Lovecraftian themes? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the fact that they turned Ghidorah into a Lovecraftian entity! All I am saying is that the creature itself, and the movie, to me had room to add even more Lovecraftian themes than it did (and to me make the movie even better).

For one thing, entities like Cthulhu cannot be stopped from bringing doom to our species only delayed. To me, Toho should have not had the whole eye-piece bit and instead made Ghidorah fully emerge into our realm, but cannot stay long as he was "not properly summoned". To put it in Lovecraftian terms the "stars were not right" (as in the "Call of Cthulhu" story, because the cultist did not reach R'lyeh to perform the ritual to awaken Cthulhu but instead strangers woke him up, the stars were not right and thus Cthulhu realized he couldn't remain awake for long after being hit by that boat).

Even with this Ghidorah being only partially summoned, he's still WAY too much for Godzilla Earth to stop him. Even Mothra (who to me actually hatches, resembles the Monsterverse Mothra, and flys to Godzilla's aid) fails to stop Ghidorah. In fact, both are devoured by the Eldritch Ghidorah! Still, with a fully emerged Ghidorah I would have the fight be entertaining to watch as Ghidorah, besides killing Godzilla, is driving him insane with a LOT of space-time manipulations (and just staring at Ghidorah can slowly do this as well, but having Ghidorah staring at you directly drastically increases your sanity dropping!).

In Lovecraftian tales, even if an entity is stopped for the time being, their Cult will always be around! In fact the entities gain new Cults by talking to them in their dreams, sending them messages and strange images while they sleep. Under this scenario, then wouldn't it have been better for the film's ending to see some of the Mothra-folk and the surviving humans are now secretly serving Ghidorah as his new cult?

As a "just because it would be funny" idea, if Mothra has the "Mothra Twins", then shouldn't Ghidorah have the triplet "Dorat Sisters"? The Dorat Sisters would look something like this...
Last edited by American Godzilla on Wed May 29, 2019 8:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

While I did not like this trilogy I LOVED the unique take on Godzilla and the backstory. Everything from the future setting to Godzilla's unique abilities. An evolved plant that can activate shields and terraform an entireplanet? Sounds weird but as a standalone incarnation it works. I've always hoped for a film set far in the future showing that even humanity at their peak is no match for Godzilla. I like when something different is done every now and then, like GMK and Shin Godzilla for starters.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Omegazilla wrote:While I did not like this trilogy I LOVED the unique take on Godzilla and the backstory. Everything from the future setting to Godzilla's unique abilities. An evolved plant that can activate shields and terraform an entireplanet? Sounds weird but as a standalone incarnation it works. I've always hoped for a film set far in the future showing that even humanity at their peak is no match for Godzilla. I like when something different is done every now and then, like GMK and Shin Godzilla for starters.
Yeah, these movies were full of interesting concepts. They just weren't executed in a particularly compelling or involving way.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Part of me thinks if the trilogy came out in the 90s or very early 2000s it would be fondly remembered as a diamond in the rough that daringly reinterpreted the Godzilla mythos at a time when Toho was strictly playing it safe. Of course, if it came out back then, it would have been done in 2D animation- and thus it would be much better looking and easier to love!

Shin proved that Godzilla could do something new and different and still be well received, it's kind of frustrating that the first project riding that creative wave is widely considered a failed experiment.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

Finally saw the anime trilogy and it wasn't the "dumpster fire" people make it out to be. It was exposition heavy but the action scenes felt tense and the world building was really engaging. I think the movie's anime tropes are what bother people the most since anime tropes are different from typical Godzilla tropes. I would watch the film's again but dubbed this time so I can see all the pretty scenes.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.