Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: One thing that took me too long to realize about POTM, is that I like how it showcases how pointless war can be. They waste all this time, resources, and lives to kill "Godzilla", only to pay the price as Godzilla Earth awakens to curbstomps everything. Felt right at home with the anti-war themes of some of the Showa Godzilla entries.
Especially with the end and the nuclear bomb symbolism.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I just want to see all three of these films get an official U.S. Japanese version/American version combination home video release somewhere down the line so that I can finally see them.
Most likely that’s never going to happen. The films are tied to Netflix. Honestly wouldn’t it be cheaper to just get a month of Netflix then get some expensive overpriced Blu-ray?
Some of us don't have interest in purchasing a Netflix subscription for various reasons. Thankfully, there's a way to find them online that every anime fan knows of, so I would just get them from there, both the dubs and subs are available.

Personally, I just want to have them physically on the shelf next to all my other Godzilla films like the collector I am. I'd gladly pay for them, but people seem to loathe physical media nowadays.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Meh 7 dollars for a month subscription isn't the worst thing in the world, a blu ray of all 3 would end up running you $40+ anyway.

Physical Media over Digital all day though.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just think it’s a tad ridiculous for people to complain about not seeing the anime films for financial reasons, and then say they’d shell out substantially more money for a Blu-ray that most likely won’t exist. I get if you have no interest in seeing the films, and I also don’t want to shame anyone who doesn’t have a lot of extra spending money, but don’t act like 7$ is a crazy amount to see the anime trilogy and ton of other stuff on Netflix.

And really, if money is that big of an issue, hey there’s always “other methods”.

What I’m trying to say is I think it’s a little crazy to say you’re waiting to see the anime trilogy because it’s not on physical media.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Everybody knows someone with Netflix. If you don’t wanna pay for your own subscription ask a friend or family member if you can use theirs to watch three Godzilla movies. That’s what I did.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I have Netflix and watched Planet of the Monsters some time ago, but I did not get around to watching City on the Edge of Battle or The Planet Eater until today. After finishing Planet of the Monsters and I didn't say "I can't wait until I can see the next one." Now having watched the trilogy, I think Planet of the Monsters was the best of the bunch. City on the Edge of Battle and The Planet Eater are a pair of talk-fests with endless attempts at "profundity speeches" that your average 12-year old could see through.
Spoiler:
There isn't a lot of action in either film, especially compared to the 1st film. Godzilla just gets pounded on by the Vultures and the City in the 2nd film and gets sucked dry by Interdimensional Ghidorah in the 3rd film.
I think that belief was too strained in the motivations of the two alien races, the Exif and the Bilusaludo. The Exif are doomsday worshippers, it's surprising they haven't sacrificed themselves to Ghidorah long before now. The Bilusaludo seem all too willing to embrace the nanometal, even though its continued spread will kill the planet they want to colonize. They reminded me of Elves and Dwarves from Tolkien, so I cannot give the filmmakers credit for any originality.
Spoiler:
One particular low point includes the "Mechagodzilla City". When you utter Mechagodzilla in a Godzilla film, I expect to see Mechagodzilla, not some metal city with create-your-own defense scheme. As the nanometal could be worked into any shape, why not work it into a new Mechagodzilla? But the final end resolution is more ridiculous. Apparently all that's needed to maintain Ghidorah's impermeability is a small rock talisman. Yet it takes Haruo ages to gather the will to break it and Metphies doesn't even put up a fight.
Last edited by Great Hierophant on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

I never noticed before but... is the humans/aliens encountering the Mechagodzilla head destroyed from his body a reference to Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II with the Mecha-King Ghidorah head? Even the shots are similar.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

ReiwaGodzilla wrote:I never noticed before but... is the humans/aliens encountering the Mechagodzilla head destroyed from his body a reference to Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II with the Mecha-King Ghidorah head? Even the shots are similar.
That's... certainly interesting, and yes, you might be right. I just assumed the reference ended with MechaGodzilla decapitated as a nod to the original MechaGodzilla having the same fate.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So the Manga this was adapted into just arrived. I have a feeling that the manga might be better than the anime. I looked through it and it looks like there's more development, and more action.

For example, in the Monster Planet section, the Servum section is way longer and has more of an impact. At one point, a visably bigger Servum stares down the group.

While seemingly minor, this fixes a lot of issues the anime has. In the anime, it feels like the Servum are supposed to be a big deal, but only have one small scene devoted to them. Rather than what should be a big mid film set piece in one, they're a quick brushover.

I think a lot of people would have less of an issue with Monster Planet if they did more with the Servum in volume one.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mechagodzilla City reminds me of the Asuka Fortress.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I hate to make comparisons to other works, but I just dove head first into watching all of Miyazaki's films after having them recommended to me for like 15 years.

I look at something like Naausica and I can't help but think "Man...why couldn't Godzilla's animated post apocalyptic story look like this?".

Same goes for other things I've watched like Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop or Attack on Titan or heck, even the Netflix Castlevania show. Why couldn't the animated Godzilla movies look this cool?

The visual style of the Anime trilogy just never won me over. Deep down I always wanted something that looked like traditional great Japanese animation...but maybe I'm just an old fart like that.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

GojiDog wrote:The visual style of the Anime trilogy just never won me over. Deep down I always wanted something that looked like traditional great Japanese animation...but maybe I'm just an old fart like that.
Oh, you're absolutely not alone! Didn't matter the age, one of the most common complaints I saw was how people really wanted to see a more traditionally animated Godzilla series of movies. But as far as the 3D animation goes, I was hoping for something much more extreme to take advantage of the medium, something along the lines of this:

What we got ended up being so reserved... There're so many new things that could be done in animation, 2D or 3D.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

It's ironic Godzilla and co movements seemed even more limited in a medium not plagued by the limitations by suits. Probably because it's plagued by a budget, so not enough to pay animators for everything you want? Don't expect to see the monsters move a lot.
GojiDog wrote:I hate to make comparisons to other works, but I just dove head first into watching all of Miyazaki's films after having them recommended to me for like 15 years.

I look at something like Naausica and I can't help but think "Man...why couldn't Godzilla's animated post apocalyptic story look like this?".

Same goes for other things I've watched like Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop or Attack on Titan or heck, even the Netflix Castlevania show. Why couldn't the animated Godzilla movies look this cool?

The visual style of the Anime trilogy just never won me over. Deep down I always wanted something that looked like traditional great Japanese animation...but maybe I'm just an old fart like that.
Believe, I'm a broken record on this. I would have loved to see Madhouse tackle a Godzilla anime with their art style. Or heck give it the art style of the original Ghost in the Shell movie or Gundam Wing.

The_Human_Vapor
Yojimbo

Post by The_Human_Vapor »

Considering how Stranger Things and Fuller House have Blu-Ray releases, I wonder how long 'till the anime trilogy finally gets the same treatment. I recall seeing indevidual bootlegs for these popping up on eBay, anyone here check those out?
Have a spare NECA Rodan 2019 in box, DM me if interested.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

The more I think about how it all ends the more I am rubbed the wrong way. I do not like the idea of abandon all technology because all tech is "evil" mentality. Yes technology and science has causeed great harm to our world in the past. However science and technology is being used today to undo the damages we have cause to nature, even now technology is being made and used to combat climate change and pollution and even radioactive fallout.

I believe science & technology can co-exist with nature.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Living Corpse wrote:The more I think about how it all ends the more I am rubbed the wrong way. I do not like the idea of abandon all technology because all tech is "evil" mentality. Yes technology and science has causeed great harm to our world in the past. However science and technology is being used today to undo the damages we have cause to nature, even now technology is being made and used to combat climate change and pollution and even radioactive fallout.

Still the best, 1955... 8-)

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I read some essays on here and listened to some video essays by Dman and Co and found a new light. I love this trilogy now and it's super deep themes and symbolism!
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I read some essays on here and listened to some video essays by Dman and Co and found a new light. I love this trilogy now and it's super deep themes and symbolism!
This comment was typed in such an off fashion i can't tell if this is suppose to be sarcasm or not.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:The more I think about how it all ends the more I am rubbed the wrong way. I do not like the idea of abandon all technology because all tech is "evil" mentality. Yes technology and science has causeed great harm to our world in the past. However science and technology is being used today to undo the damages we have cause to nature, even now technology is being made and used to combat climate change and pollution and even radioactive fallout.

flattering gif
Nah, I just think the Chozo from the Metroid games are good role models. They had advance tech & science but also lived peacefully with nature and were open minded about religious beliefs. There was a time they were not peaceful and they feel great shame in that, so much so they go to other worlds try to promote peaceful existence so other civilizations don't repeat their mistakes.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Are any of these available on DVD or Blu-ray in the US yet?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.