Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Godzilla Resurgence and Toho films after 2015.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding - Shin Godzilla Spoilers, Leaked Content and Cam. Rip Content", linked below. Thank you!

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 40&t=25380
Jomei
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Postby Jomei » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:28 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Jomei wrote:More on my blog (some details, another video, promotional poster with awesome art), but check out this new VR game attraction featuring Shin Godzilla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIQ3HKjLZ10

I want it now. That looks skreeonking awesome! Oh do you know what happened to that Universal Studios Japan Shin Godzilla ride? I can't find anything on it.

It was less of a ride than a 4D show (which does mean moving seats, sprays of water, wind, etc.) in their special theaters. They rotate new shows in every year as part of their Cool Japan section. I was lucky enough to attend while it was operating and also saw an Evangelion and an Attack on Titan show.

I have a bunch of coverage of the USJ Godzilla stuff.
Last edited by Jomei on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anguirus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Anguirus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Rewatching Shin, this time the dubbed version, man the dubbing is awful.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 am

Wow.... it's already been two years since the release of Shin as of today. I still remember the hype and speculation leading up to it. Man those were the days.

11 hours later: No one really? I thought more people would reflect on this mastapiece of an edition to the franchise after a whopping two years :D No? Allllllrighty then.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

OneMillionTomsBC
Samurai

Postby OneMillionTomsBC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:05 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Wow.... it's already been two years since the release of Shin as of today. I still remember the hype and speculation leading up to it. Man those were the days.

11 hours later: No one really? I thought more people would reflect on this mastapiece of an edition to the franchise after a whopping two years :D No? Allllllrighty then.

I still really dig it. Seeing it in theaters was magical. :huge:

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:18 am

I wonder if Anno and Sagisu had Kaoru Wada's re-recordings of the Godzilla (1954) soundtrack available to them during the production of this movie. If so, it was kind of a missed opportunity. Compare the original recording to the latest one.

ApexOversteer
Ronin

Postby ApexOversteer » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:11 am

Still in my heavy re-watch rotation, only modern (post-Showa) Godzilla film that is...

GFAN198423
EDF Soldier

Postby GFAN198423 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:37 pm

PineappleProducer
Samurai

Postby PineappleProducer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Is that supposed to be a figure? Cuz if it is, I want it.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:26 pm

It’s just a new promo picture.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my YouTube channel CinemaGoji for all things kaiju!

KaijuCanuck
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:15 pm

There’s so much I love about this film, but I think my favourite pet might be actually be near the beginning when the situation starts to become more serious - the way the music (Persecution of the Masses, I think?) moves the tone from one of comedic satire to one of unfolding tragedy is honestly masterful.
Image Image

The myth. The reality.

November 11, 2018 will mark 100 years since the end of World War 1. Never forget.

Titanoterror98
Samurai

Postby Titanoterror98 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:49 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:There’s so much I love about this film, but I think my favourite pet might be actually be near the beginning when the situation starts to become more serious - the way the music (Persecution of the Masses, I think?) moves the tone from one of comedic satire to one of unfolding tragedy is honestly masterful.

^This guy right here!
I think that the movie is one of the best takes on Godzilla in a long time, not just because it goes back to the darker, scarier roots of the series, or because of the insanse action scenes--though those were certainly part of it--but because it was the most effective uses of Godzilla as a metaphor for the mistakes of both science and society in a long time.

And I agree with you, KC, the music is one of the best parts; to me, it's got some of the best music from classic Godzilla movie soundtracks and Shiro Sagisu, himself! The original pieces are what really makes the movie for me: Persecution of the Masses sends shivers down my spine and sets the tone for tragedy, Who Will Know is a haunting blend of horror and sorrow, and Under a Burning Sky (which I feel doesn't get enough love) gives off a great "impending doom" feeling.

Plus, this movie won the Japanese Academy Award for Best Picture! How many kaiju movies--no, how many monster movies, of any kind, have gotten that kind of recognition? This movie is just a great example of everything I love about kaiju movies: you can have intellectual discussions on social-political issues AND giant monsters blowing stuff up with lasers.
"Kaiju are underrated."

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Grasper

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:37 pm

milkjugs wrote:When oedipus reached thebes, he countered a sphinx. "If you want to pass this point alive, you must answer my riddle: why do monsterverse fans resort to hyperbole and whataboutisms?" It was at this time oedipus knew he was in trouble.

Gojira18
Interpol Agent

Postby Gojira18 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:51 pm

So when I first saw Shin Godzilla, I thought it was just ok. But after taking a look at it again and comparing it to the Anime trilogy, MAYBE I didn't give it as much credit as I should have. It's REALLY grown on me.

Return to “"Shin" and Beyond (2016-Current)”