Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Toho's film, Shin Godzilla.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding - Shin Godzilla Spoilers, Leaked Content and Cam. Rip Content", linked below. Thank you!

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 40&t=25380
User avatar
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2446
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Underworld54 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:55 am

Whomever is seeing it tonight I hope you enjoy it, I know most of you are off the wall excited for it. I hope it exceeds your expectations.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

User avatar
3000
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3456
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby 3000 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:14 pm

I'm really interested to hear how the western audience as a whole reacts to this one. Cant wait to hear all of your reactions!
Member of TK Since 2006

User avatar
GFAN198423
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4090
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby GFAN198423 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:47 pm

Don't know who'll bother to read it but I plan to do a full review and include comparison to Gojira as two movies out to use giant monsters as social commentary and to Godzilla 2014 as two current era films starting the franchise up again.

User avatar
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2446
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Underworld54 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:57 pm

GFAN198423 wrote:Don't know who'll bother to read it but I plan to do a full review and include comparison to Gojira as two movies out to use giant monsters as social commentary and to Godzilla 2014 as two current era films starting the franchise up again.

I'll bother, sounds interesting.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

User avatar
eabaker
Keizer
Posts: 7619
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby eabaker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:03 pm

GFAN198423 wrote:Don't know who'll bother to read it but I plan to do a full review and include comparison to Gojira as two movies out to use giant monsters as social commentary and to Godzilla 2014 as two current era films starting the franchise up again.


I will absolutely read it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
goji89
Kwaidan
Posts: 6097
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby goji89 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Underworld54 wrote:Whomever is seeing it tonight I hope you enjoy it, I know most of you are off the wall excited for it. I hope it exceeds your expectations.


Or at least meet their expectations. The Hype for this movie is off the charts. Hope they enjoy it.

User avatar
Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2446
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Underworld54 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:00 pm

goji89 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:Whomever is seeing it tonight I hope you enjoy it, I know most of you are off the wall excited for it. I hope it exceeds your expectations.


Or at least meet their expectations. The Hype for this movie is off the charts. Hope they enjoy it.

Yes, let's hope it at least meets it. But I won't expect true reactions until the movie has sunk in for a few days for people. Initially I expect a bunch of "Best movie ever" and "such an amazing film" comments.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

User avatar
goji89
Kwaidan
Posts: 6097
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby goji89 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Underworld54 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:Whomever is seeing it tonight I hope you enjoy it, I know most of you are off the wall excited for it. I hope it exceeds your expectations.


Or at least meet their expectations. The Hype for this movie is off the charts. Hope they enjoy it.

Yes, let's hope it at least meets it. But I won't expect true reactions until the movie has sunk in for a few days for people. Initially I expect a bunch of "Best movie ever" and "such an amazing film" comments.


Well yeah that's a given. Mostly positive. People want to really believe this is the next Gojira so.....

User avatar
miguelnuva
Keizer
Posts: 9337
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:56 pm

I can tell you guys now this isn't going to be anywhere near the best Godzilla film.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Rodan
Futurian
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Rodan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:27 pm

miguelnuva wrote:I can tell you guys now this isn't going to be anywhere near the best Godzilla film.

I don't doubt that, but only because the first entry in the series is an irreproachable classic.

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8025
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby SpaceG92 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:34 pm

miguelnuva wrote:I can tell you guys now this isn't going to be anywhere near the best Godzilla film.

Resized Image
TRIGGERED


We'll see. Though i'd personally put it up pretty high on the list.

Xagzan
Samurai
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Xagzan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Is this the right thread to post our reactions? Cause I just saw it.

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8025
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby SpaceG92 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Xagzan wrote:Is this the right thread to post our reactions? Cause I just saw it.

Yes!

You can post in the General non spoiler thread as well - though make use of the [spoiler] tag in there for a bit. Some people won't be seeing it for a couple more days.

Xagzan
Samurai
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Xagzan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:55 pm

SpaceG92 wrote:
Xagzan wrote:Is this the right thread to post our reactions? Cause I just saw it.

Yes!

You can post in the General non spoiler thread as well - though make use of the [spoiler] tag in there for a bit. Some people won't be seeing it for a couple more days.


Ok thanks. And we don't also have to use the spoiler tag in this thread, right?

User avatar
Breakdown
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5359
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: The Hollow

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Breakdown » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Just got back from seeing it. Lots of political commentary to be seen here, especially in regards to US-Japan relations. The US was really the true "antagonist" of the film in many regards, having known about Godzilla all along and may have even had a hand in creating him. The effects where good for the most part, except for when Godzilla's second form makes landfall the CG is cringeworthy as he waddles down the street. I loved the use of classic sound effects and roars too, and the older music fit in rather well.

Also there was tons of applause when the Toho logo appeared on screen and during the end. There was some occasional laughs and snickers when Godzilla went full on rave laser light show but generally the audience seemed to like it. My theater was relatively packed, I was honestly surprised. I wouldn't rate it above Gojira, but I feel like it sits comfortable among the best in the franchise.


Also for those interested, this Godzilla is probably the strongest incarnation to date. Just the charge-up blast alone from his breath weapon annihilated entire city blocks and his actual beam sliced through multiple skyscrapers at once. As for durability, he only really gets hurt when US stealth bombers drop JDAMS into the open wounds on his back. He tanks pretty much everything thrown at him, including having multiple skyscrapers dropped on him (Take THAT, Heisei and legendary Godzillas ;D)
Image
Boo-Hoo, I'm leaking lubricant!

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8025
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby SpaceG92 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Xagzan wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:
Xagzan wrote:Is this the right thread to post our reactions? Cause I just saw it.

Yes!

You can post in the General non spoiler thread as well - though make use of the [spoiler] tag in there for a bit. Some people won't be seeing it for a couple more days.


Ok thanks. And we don't also have to use the spoiler tag in this thread, right?

Nope - this is the spoiler thread. Don't hold back :P

User avatar
Castellan Zilla
Keizer
Posts: 8171
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am
Location: Inside Source

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Castellan Zilla » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Best Godzilla film. Even better than the original. Fight me.

User avatar
Breakdown
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5359
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: The Hollow

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Breakdown » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:10 pm

Castellan Zilla wrote:Best Godzilla film. Even better than the original. Fight me.

Them's fightin' words.
Image
Boo-Hoo, I'm leaking lubricant!

User avatar
Godzilla2000Zero
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Godzilla2000Zero » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:11 pm

WOW JUST WOW LOVED IT.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

User avatar
Shazam14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Postby Shazam14 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:11 pm

That was a lot of damn fun and seeing how the Japanese would react to an actual Godzilla attack was very interesting. As much as I loved Legendary Godzilla, Shin was just far too good. Plan to see it again tomorrow.


Return to “Shin Godzilla (2016)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest