Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Shin Godzilla - The Spoilerific General Discussion Thread

Post by Rodan »

Gerdzerl wrote:*50-meter Godzilla image*
Going off of this, the second form (A.K.A. Kaiju B) seems to be about this big.
I have legitimately wanted to see a movie about a 50-meter Godzilla re-emerging in present day, dwarfed by modern cities, for a long time.

It'll never happen, but I'd watch it.

Also, the younger Godzilla forms are kind of adorable.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

NSZ wrote:
KotM311 wrote:^^
Very True Maverick

Cool idea, but not Godzilla. What a move if the real Godzilla fought this thing, it´s like the Icon he became fighting the horror he was meant to be.
You people keep using this term. I don't think it means what you think it means.
You'd think one of the multiple meanings behind "Shin" in Shin Gojira would be a solid hint, but that's apparently not the case.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

No becuz if u dun think shin goejeera is vomit trash then ur not a T R U E F A N.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Ok... :/
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Skeleturtle
Monsterland Worker

Post by Skeleturtle »

True Godzilla is not a thing. All Godzillas are beautiful.

On-topic tho, I love the juvenile Godzilla forms. They are so creepy cute...
LamangoKaijura wrote:
Zilla103192 wrote:I like the overall design, but a few things bother me.

Like, why does he walk with his hands facing palm up? That looks so awkward.
"Where the hell did I park? I could have sworn it was by Shibuya."

The plot twist is Godzilla's just looking for his damn car. His hands are facing palm up as if telling the world 'What the skreeonk'

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Ooooon the topic of the actual movie, the only major element that I find off-putting as a concept so far is the use of stock soundtracks and sound effects.

I'm very curious to see how those integrate with the rest of the film. With the right mindset, in a film that's very embracing of its meta qualities as a hallmark entry in a larger series, they could be cool. But I have a lot of trepidation about their use in a film that appears to otherwise aim to be serious and self-contained, especially when the score specific to the movie is so good and up to modern recording standards.

The sound effects, especially, in the Showa movies, are many things, but realistic they are not. Again, I want to see how this plays out. As an idea, though, it seems a little alienating to most audiences in the interest of some nods toward longtime fans -- nods which, as a major fan, I'd happily trade away for a more internally consistent film.

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Rodan wrote:Ooooon the topic of the actual movie, the only major element that I find off-putting as a concept so far is the use of stock soundtracks and sound effects.

I'm very curious to see how those integrate with the rest of the film. With the right mindset, in a film that's very embracing of its meta qualities as a hallmark entry in a larger series, they could be cool. But I have a lot of trepidation about their use in a film that appears to otherwise aim to be serious and self-contained, especially when the score specific to the movie is so good and up to modern recording standards.

The sound effects, especially, in the Showa movies, are many things, but realistic they are not. Again, I want to see how this plays out. As an idea, though, it seems a little alienating to most audiences in the interest of some nods toward longtime fans -- nods which, as a major fan, I'd happily trade away for a more internally consistent film.
The reused tracks don't bother me, but I am a bit curious as to how Showa stock explosions are going to mesh with this film. It could end up being hella cool, or really tacky, who knows.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

khornethekaiju
Samurai

Post by khornethekaiju »

Hi all! long time lurker, I decided to make an account and start posting to learn more about what may be the most (in my opinion of course) exciting godzilla movie since godzilla 2000 :D

that said can someone please tell me that shin goji gets more screentime than g14?
I am Become Death, The Destroyer of Worlds

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

khornethekaiju wrote:Hi all! long time lurker, I decided to make an account and start posting to learn more about what may be the most (in my opinion of course) exciting godzilla movie since godzilla 2000 :D

that said can someone please tell me that shin goji gets more screentime than g14?
From what I'm hearing it's about on par with G14. Not a whole lot.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Lycankiin-117
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lycankiin-117 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
khornethekaiju wrote:Hi all! long time lurker, I decided to make an account and start posting to learn more about what may be the most (in my opinion of course) exciting godzilla movie since godzilla 2000 :D

That's strange... considering the fact he has multiple forms and doesn't have to share the film with other kaiju, you'd think Shin would get a bit more screentime then what Legendary got in G'14 (Which I didn't have too much of a problem with outside of the Hawaii cut-away). Budget can't have been an issue, could it? No, I doubt that. Maybe just an artistic choice...?

khornethekaiju
Samurai

Post by khornethekaiju »

Godzilla21 wrote:

well I've been following the thread, and people aren't really quantifying his screentime, I just find it hard to believe that two embryonic forms, a second landfall, confrontation, rampaging, cooldown, b-role of him walking and being scary, reawakening and rampaging again, and then having the final fight could culminate in 7 mins of screen time (that's how much g14 had)

Lycankiin-117
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lycankiin-117 »

^ Actually... it was 8 minutes... just kinda had to correct ya.

khornethekaiju
Samurai

Post by khornethekaiju »

Lycankiin-117 wrote:^ Actually... it was 8 minutes... just kinda had to correct ya.
my bad, thanks for correcting me, but I think my point stands....not substantial especially considering g14 spends a lot of that time partially concealed by dust closing doors or smudged goggles.

Lycankiin-117
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lycankiin-117 »

khornethekaiju wrote:
Lycankiin-117 wrote:^ Actually... it was 8 minutes... just kinda had to correct ya.
my bad, thanks for correcting me, but I think my point stands....not substantial especially considering g14 spends a lot of that time partially concealed by dust closing doors or smudged goggles.
Oh yeah, your point still totally stands. The screentime doesn't really bother me, outside of the hawaii cut-away, but I can understand the hate for it. Anyway, better not go too off-topic.

khornethekaiju
Samurai

Post by khornethekaiju »

^ yeah I agree, I didn't mind it and let's get back to shin, I just want him to have some prominence, I love anno's sardonic wit and I hope the dub can capture it, (and if not subs) but I'd like at least I'd say 15-20 minutes of godzilla

GodzillaFanBoy2003
Terminated
Terminated

Post by GodzillaFanBoy2003 »

my mom saw the trailer before i did and she thinks she should watch it before i do to make sure it isnt too scary! i had bad night terrors over that one movie with godzilla and his white eyes that was too scary and violent! i wish godzilla could be more friendly toward humans and othre monster
Hi i love godzilla very much

khornethekaiju
Samurai

Post by khornethekaiju »

GodzillaFanBoy2003 wrote:my mom saw the trailer before i did and she thinks she should watch it before i do to make sure it isnt too scary! i had bad night terrors over that one movie with godzilla and his white eyes that was too scary and violent! i wish godzilla could be more friendly toward humans and othre monster
hey buddy, if that's how you like godzilla, this might not be the godzilla movie for you, it's kinda scary, he isn't really evil in it but he does end up hurting a lot of people, so maybe save it for later on, when your mom thinks you're ready :)

Lycankiin-117
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lycankiin-117 »

I admittedly, despite being an anime buff, ain't familiar with Anno's former works such as Evangelion but he does seem to be handling Godzilla with a lot of care whilst adding his twist, which is so radically different and the kick in the backside I admittedly felt the Toho side of the franchise needed, so 15-20 minutes definitely sounds reasonable to me and honestly very likely the actual amount of screentime Shin is getting. Actually, has anybody here seen Shin? Can you give an average for Godzilla's screentime in the film?

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
GodzillaFanBoy2003 wrote:my mom saw the trailer before i did and she thinks she should watch it before i do to make sure it isnt too scary! i had bad night terrors over that one movie with godzilla and his white eyes that was too scary and violent! i wish godzilla could be more friendly toward humans and othre monster
Yeah, I'd wait until you're older buddy: Shin, even from trailers alone, is making GMK look tame.

khornethekaiju
Samurai

Post by khornethekaiju »

^ I love anno, and believe me there is some real evangelion in this, but to a very respectful level, and I would love to know this as well

how much approximate screen time does godzilla get?

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

I'm assuming you're old enough to join the forum, so I don't see why this should scare the shit out of you or anything. The film from what I've seen and heard seems to be one of the most darkest and disturbing films in the franchise, but still not something that'll scar any 14+ year olds.

Also welcome to the forums.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"