Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not really at least not in the type and composition of shots used.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Please do explain further.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah no completely disagree, KOTM had some fantastic VFX scenes. Especially with Ghidorah, Shin Ghidorah is cool and fluid, but MV Ghidorah felt like a living animal
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Im not talking about the actual quality of the FX themselves. Of course Japan would never match that. I talking about how the scenes are actually shot and constructed. KSI had that great shot of Kong silhouetted against the sunset or even the shot of female Muto passing under the bridge in G14. KotM didn't really have any inventively constructed shots like that. Even that Shin short had that really cool shot of Ghidorah flying toward the camera as it zooms over his back and between his tails. Doesn't help that KotM really zooms through its FX sequences so quick that there not a whole lot of time to actually let them sink in properly. G14 is a bit guilty of that too though that comes from G14's FX sequences being so short while KotM FX sequences are a little too quickly paced.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

UNBELIEVABLE! THEY ACTUALLY MADE A KING GHIDORAH TO MATCH MV KING GHIDORAH!!! (well almost, his facial expressions were a bit lacking) Anime Ghidorah, go back to your black hole itty bitty living space and stay there you space genie, there's a new Ghidorah in town! GHIDORAH'S GRAVITY BEAMS ARE ACTUALLY GRAVITY BEAMS IN THIS ONE!! Not to mention actual visible non-beam gravity manipulation! This one already ranks up there with GKG as favorite Japanese Ghidorah!
The only problems I found with this one is that we didn't see much of his sadistic personality (understandable because it's just a ride and we didn't see much of ANYTHING about this Ghidorah tbh), his small size (he's supposed to tower over Shin. Though I suppose he is bent over most of the time_ it's a ride) and the fact that he once again goes out like a chump Though this time at least he does put up a good fight first, but I wish he'd be taken out by Burning Shin Godzillla like MV Ghidorah instead of just being one shotted by a Gravity Beam charged single burst of Atomic Breath.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Im not talking about the actual quality of the FX themselves. Of course Japan would never match that. I talking about how the scenes are actually shot and constructed. KSI had that great shot of Kong silhouetted against the sunset or even the shot of female Muto passing under the bridge in G14. KotM didn't really have any inventively constructed shots like that. Even that Shin short had that really cool shot of Ghidorah flying toward the camera as it zooms over his back and between his tails. Doesn't help that KotM really zooms through its FX sequences so quick that there not a whole lot of time to actually let them sink in properly. G14 is a bit guilty of that too though that comes from G14's FX sequences being so short while KotM FX sequences are a little too quickly paced.
I agree. The composition and filmography of Shin was a lot more interesting than in KOTM. While we get more monster action in the latter, we also get several cuts and relatively flat sequencing. There were some really cool and interesting shots (mostly with Rodan's emergence and jet chase and Ghidorah's awakening) but for the most part, it was pretty meh and none that were particularly memorable and interesting. I haven't seen Shin in probably a year but I can still remember several great shots that it used that really highlighted Godzilla well (for example, the excellent shot just after his 4th Form appearance and he takes a step in the distance while we see a house shake and the shingles on the roof jostle and start to slide down or the trees shake, or the only night scene in the entire movie and the entirety of the first atomic breath sequence which is probably the most fantastically and awe inspiring film sequence in the series in terms of spectacle)---his size, weight, and overall presence. For example, even though Godzilla went from being 29 meters tall to over 118 meters, in almost all instances his different forms are shot and portrayed as truly massive with a real presence in the world. That's not to say that it was perfect all the time as it certainly wasn't but it did exceedingly well and can't really be touched by many daikaiju films of late.

Now that's not to say that KOTM was completely terrible in this regard (as I highlighted with the Rodan and Ghidorah scenes earlier). In general, its monsters had a lot more life to them but that was more of their goal----to bring back to life an ancient ecosystem and I've no problem with that. However, again, the way they were shot and shown in the movie didn't always play to their greatest strengths.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I just realized, I've never posted here.

Shin Godzilla is one of the best Godzilla movies and best films in general, I've ever seen.

Now here's a picture of Hideki Anno with a burger

RIP Evan.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I just realized, I've never posted here.

Shin Godzilla is one of the best Godzilla movies and best films in general, I've ever seen.

Wasn't Anno-sensei apparently on TK? His username started with a T and he revealed some freaking accurate info about Shin Godzilla (and edited them out saying "I cannot say this") He even asked "I am Anno ??" which was cropped to "I am Anno" by someone else quoting him I believe.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GuardianGhido wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I just realized, I've never posted here.

Wasn't Anno-sensei apparently on TK? His username started with a T and he revealed some freaking accurate info about Shin Godzilla (and edited them out saying "I cannot say this") He even asked "I am Anno ??" which was cropped to "I am Anno" by someone else quoting him I believe.
Not sure if he was LEGIT Anno, but people joked he was.

he was also scarily accurate, yeah.

I'll never forget that tadpole.

RIP Evan.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Still kino nearly 3 years later.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Still kino nearly 3 years later.
Not to mention the sountrack is phenomenal , Godzilla and Eva tracks aside, the new themes capture a sense of despair on their own.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

One thing I've noticed as of late (and this has probably been addressed in the past) is that the military scenes in Shin Godzilla read like point-by-point breakdowns and refutations of articles like these that popped up around the release of G2014 alleging the US military could "easily" take down Godzilla or any other kaiju.

The article alleges Godzilla's eyes are his most vunerable spot and could be easily damaged, so Anno gives him nigh-impenetrable nictating membranes.

The article alleges that Godzilla can "only lash out in one direction at once," so Anno gives him the ability to strike in multiple directions with his tail and his back beams.

Finally (and most notably), the article alleges that Godzilla could be easily killed with four B-2 Spirit bombers dropping Massive Ordnance Penetrators from 10,000 feet (the linked article mentions Godzilla's chest as the likely target, but at least one article I remember explicitly mentioned "the fleshy area beneath his back spines" as a probable targeting point/"weak spot") so Anno has them do exactly that to the letter; while they do manage to hurt Godzilla, he promptly counters their next attacks and shoots down both the bombers and their ordnance when they come around for a second run.

Even the dismissive comments about there all being left of Godzilla "a local HAZMAT disaster to clean up afterwards" seems to be addressed, as the indivudual blown-off pieces of Godzilla are shown to be perfectly capable of regenerating into another monster, forcing the JSDF and US military to abandon their plans to kill Godzilla using conventional weaponry.

It's to the point where I'm fairly certain Anno and/or Higuchi actually read those articles and made it a point to incorporate his refutations into the movie.

Just a neat little detail I've noticed, in part because dumbass clickbait sites like The National Interest (who have a penchant for reusing the same few articles over and over again to capitalize on things that cycle in and out of the public interest) started republishing those articles just before KoTM came out.
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

If intentional, that’s pretty funny.

Anno, you troll :P
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

G2000 wrote:Snip
I won't say it's never been posted before, but it's certainly the first time I've read it and by god it somehow makes me appreciate Shin more (which I didn't think was possible). That's a great find. Thanks for sharing.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

That’s really cool, thanks for sharing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I think if Shin Godzilla ever wakes up, he'll have ice powers and be totally unstoppable.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I think if Shin Godzilla ever wakes up, he'll have ice powers and be totally unstoppable.
Why ice powers?
Long Live The Sting

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:That’s really cool, thanks for sharing.
THank you G2000, very cool!
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Stump Feet wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I think if Shin Godzilla ever wakes up, he'll have ice powers and be totally unstoppable.
Why ice powers?
Because he's frozen. :P

I've always wanted a kaiju with ice powers. It would be really unique. Godzilla with ice breath and a brighter blue color could be interesting.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Frozen like a statue, not frozen in ice :lol:
Long Live The Sting