Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by GigaBowserG »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I wonder if the next movies are gonna be an anthology series, like the Millennium series. Because I would rather have it be like the Heisei VS. series with the connecting storyline.
Hoping for this, but not expecting it. I worry the closest we'll get is if Toho decides to pursue a sequel to Shin, like how Kiryu only had 2 movies.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

That's from a completely different movie, and also, that wasn't Bagan.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GigaBowserG wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:I wonder if the next movies are gonna be an anthology series, like the Millennium series. Because I would rather have it be like the Heisei VS. series with the connecting storyline.
Hoping for this, but not expecting it. I worry the closest we'll get is if Toho decides to pursue a sequel to Shin, like how Kiryu only had 2 movies.
It's true. This is what I'd *like*, but realistically, Shin as a (very successful) one-off followed by a second film that kicks off a new in-continuity series seems to be the least-logical progression )unless they somehow decide that the gap up to post-Monsterverse is enough of a break to kick off a new series). Anthology or making Shin a series seem far more logical, unfortunately.

(I mean, I say 'unfortunately'... but it's new Godzilla films, so it's still pretty great, no matter what form they take! :) )
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:What exactly does “Humanity must learn to co-exist with Godzilla” mean?

It’s said by Yaguchi at the climax of the film after Shin’s frozen, but how exactly would humanity learn to co-exist with Godzilla, especially if he reanimated?
Pretty much what Zarm said, but I will add that maybe it meant that since Godzilla is essentially unkillable, humanity must learn to live with him as say, a recurring natural disaster. They may be able to stop him- but they really can't kill him.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

At the end of the movie, Godzilla exists. Whatever his existence means to future generations, humanity will have to find a way toward accepting it and dealing with it collectively
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

He's sort of a representation of the world's current predicament with nuclear energy no? Once upon a time there were only a handful of "reliable" governments that had access to this energy and the devastating weapons that can result from them. Even then there was anxiety and paranoia. But now there's the concerns that come with nuclear proliferation (weapons falling into the hands of unstable states or terrorists) and an ever increasing dependence on nuclear energy. Whether we're ready or not for the responsibilities (the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster might suggest we're not), there's no going back and it's a reality we'll have to live with.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Rumor has it Shin's purple beam was inspired by Prince after his then recent passing. Anno was apparently a huge fan.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Rumor has it Shin's purple beam was inspired by Prince after his then recent passing. Anno was apparently a huge fan.
Yeah, I heard about that a while back.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Rumor has it Shin's purple beam was inspired by Prince after his then recent passing. Anno was apparently a huge fan.
You mean this https://i.imgur.com/7KCxZaB.png,the subtitles are fake this was just april fools joke, in the actual video he talks about totally unrelated thing to Prince

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

ShinGi wrote:
You mean this https://i.imgur.com/7KCxZaB.png,the subtitles are fake this was just april fools joke, in the actual video he talks about totally unrelated thing to Prince
Nah it goes back further to a twitter post. At least the one I remember.

Im sure you'll be able to find it in here if you look back far enough.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Come on folks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2vJ3t ... e=youtu.be
Nothing about Prince, Anno has been doing thin purple beams long before Shin
Last edited by tbeasley on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Unveiling of the Shin Godzilla statue in front of the Toho HQ

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Watched this again last night. Well made, but still just average, for me. The one thing that I did find impressive this time was the production values, and in particular nearly every shot of the final form of Godzilla is from a unique angle or contains some great framing and composition. Visually, this movie is very well done, but the section between the rampage and the finale definitely stretches on too long.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

eabaker wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:I wished we got scenes like in 54 where we SEE people get trampled, burned, and actually killed. Morbid I know but the tone of this movie fits this and we only see a family directly die from Godzilla's rampage. I love the scene where Tokyo is nuked but the city just feels empty to me. I don't feel like anyone dies. I know the Prime Minister's chopper is shot down, but we needed to SEE his reaction. Just my two cents to this.
Ultimately, Shin is more of an intellectual exercise than an emotion-driven story. That works to its benefit in terms of being able to lay out its themes and concepts clearly, but it does cut down a bit on audience engagement and a sense of stakes.
Shin is definitely a more intellectual film (to use that phrase as juxtaposition against an "emotional" film) than '54, but even two years later, I remain with cloverfan98: It's not to its benefit.

Much of the film's drama revolves around a sense of dilemma and urgency its disaster imagery never quite offers. It can sound cruel to wish for more civilian causalities on screen, especially in the light of the real-world disasters it draws from, and yet--'54 did exactly that, and remains powerful for it. Shin works, but it can feel a bit sterile. I want to feel Yaguchi's predicament, in terms of the risks and the losses, rather than simply be told about it and presented flashy disaster imagery in an empty-feeling city.

This isn't to say the film suffers enormously for it. It just remains one of its weaker elements.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:
eabaker wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:I wished we got scenes like in 54 where we SEE people get trampled, burned, and actually killed. Morbid I know but the tone of this movie fits this and we only see a family directly die from Godzilla's rampage. I love the scene where Tokyo is nuked but the city just feels empty to me. I don't feel like anyone dies. I know the Prime Minister's chopper is shot down, but we needed to SEE his reaction. Just my two cents to this.
Ultimately, Shin is more of an intellectual exercise than an emotion-driven story. That works to its benefit in terms of being able to lay out its themes and concepts clearly, but it does cut down a bit on audience engagement and a sense of stakes.
Shin is definitely a more intellectual film (to use that phrase as juxtaposition against an "emotional" film) than '54, but even two years later, I remain with cloverfan98: It's not to its benefit.

Much of the film's drama revolves around a sense of dilemma and urgency its disaster imagery never quite offers. It can sound cruel to wish for more civilian causalities on screen, especially in the light of the real-world disasters it draws from, and yet--'54 did exactly that, and remains powerful for it. Shin works, but it can feel a bit sterile. I want to feel Yaguchi's predicament, in terms of the risks and the losses, rather than simply be told about it and presented flashy disaster imagery in an empty-feeling city.

This isn't to say the film suffers enormously for it. It just remains one of its weaker elements.
Just to be clear, I said that the movie benefited from that approach in one specific respect, but also that it was a detriment in another respect.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

It's wired cause it's not like they didn't film scenes of crowds evacuating, attending press conferences, and watching media for news. Civilians die but not seeing that onscreen really hurts that angle of the film.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Did we forget the scene where the first form topples the building with people still evacuating inside?

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

Ah, that was just one scene though. I was honestly hoping for something akin to Godzilla's rampage through Tokyo in the 1954 film.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

According to the recent press release, there will be no Shin 2...

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

MandaSaurus wrote:According to the recent press release, there will be no Shin 2...
Late with the news drop, sir. We've all known this for awhile...
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking