Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Stump Feet wrote:Frozen like a statue, not frozen in ice :lol:
isn't liquid nitrogen basically sealing him in ice?

He'd be terrifying if he adapted to the environment conditions he's trapped in and incorporated it in his physiology.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Liquid nitrogen? I thought it was some sort of blood coagulant.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The movie isn’t clear on exactly how it works, and that’s fine because it’s more of a plot device and how it was created is more important.

But my impression is that that the compound pretty much stops Shin’s nuclear reactor internally, causing the energy flow to the rest of the body to stop. It’s akin to frostbite where cell death begins.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Stump Feet wrote:Liquid nitrogen? I thought it was some sort of blood coagulant.
I thought it was liquid nitrogen acting as a type of blood coagulant.

You can hear ice sound effects when he locks in place and see him visibly frozen.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Rewatched it, and I gotta say, this time around the scenes between the atomic attack and the climax weren't slow. I thought the writing got even stronger, and the characters got to shine.

More I wanna discuss later, Shin got even better for me. Especially after watching a few episodes of Eva, Anno's directing style is top notch.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Rewatched it, and I gotta say, this time around the scenes between the atomic attack and the climax weren't slow. I thought the writing got even stronger, and the characters got to shine.

More I wanna discuss later, Shin got even better for me. Especially after watching a few episodes of Eva, Anno's directing style is top notch.
You dissapoint me MechaGoji Bro seven five zero three. I feel like I don't know you anymore and we've drifted apart. I.....just cant.......*loud sobbing*.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Rewatched it, and I gotta say, this time around the scenes between the atomic attack and the climax weren't slow. I thought the writing got even stronger, and the characters got to shine.

Based and kinopilled
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Japanese park is building a lifesize "bust" of Shin Godzilla for set to unveil in 2020. Toho has unveiled a 1/20 scale model at a recent event.

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 44352?s=19
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

lifesize? that thing is gonna be huge.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Holy wow, they really seem to be pushing the image of Shin as the new face of Toho Godzilla. I'm thinking we might get more Shin movies after all!
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GuardianGhido wrote:Holy wow, they really seem to be pushing the image of Shin as the new face of Toho Godzilla.
Where have you been since 2016?
GuardianGhido wrote:I'm thinking we might get more Shin movies after all!
Nah. It would pretty much sour the ending of the first movie and there's no real reason to do so when that film is still fresh in Japan's mind.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Japanese park is building a lifesize "bust" of Shin Godzilla for set to unveil in 2020. Toho has unveiled a 1/20 scale model at a recent event.

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 44352?s=19
8-)
Here’s a photo I took of it in person:

News-paper they were handing out.

Also they showed a short film, that was hyping it up.

It’s sort of like a semi remake of Shin. I might upload the video later. I think the ride is going to have you enter Shin and defeat it from the inside,

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote:Nah. It would pretty much sour the ending of the first movie and there's no real reason to do so when that film is still fresh in Japan's mind.
No clue if more shin films will be made, but 100% we will get more shin advertising. Additionally, it might be possible for shins design to be used next.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Cool LSD! How long was the short film? So you zip line into his mouth.... then what? Lol..

Honestly, like LSD said, they might not make a true Shin Godzilla sequel, but definitely should be in the table to reuse the design as THE Godzilla of this next era of films.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I don't want to see Shin again unless he's fighting a traditional Godzilla. The film was fine as a one off and if you do a sequel either you ignore form 5 or you complete it and he's not Godzilla anymore.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote:I don't want to see Shin again unless he's fighting a traditional Godzilla. The film was fine as a one off and if you do a sequel either you ignore form 5 or you complete it and he's not Godzilla anymore.
Since form 5 was never seen on screen it’s not an issue.

Added in 56 seconds:
Cookson wrote:Cool LSD! How long was the short film? So you zip line into his mouth.... then what? Lol..

Honestly, like LSD said, they might not make a true Shin Godzilla sequel, but definitely should be in the table to reuse the design as THE Godzilla of this next era of films.
It would appear you walk into the mouth, look at the bottom of the bottom jaw line.

The short film was only like 30 seconds long, although regrettably there was another short film with Kamatakun that due to me being on the wrong side of the crowd at the wrong time I couldn’t get a clear video of.

The plot was just like a woman finding and adopting Kamatakun as if it was a stray cat. Cool, but not something you need to worry about missing, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Toho YouTube account winds up posting it to YouTube.

In any case the shin brand ain’t dead.

Added in 45 minutes 32 seconds:
Here’s the promotional short video I took.

The big thing to note is that in this “continuity” Godzilla has been retconned to be more of a “normal” creature, that retains the shin design, and probably powers, but won’t keep morphing. It’s also noted he feeds on whales, and is “resting”.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:I don't want to see Shin again unless he's fighting a traditional Godzilla. The film was fine as a one off and if you do a sequel either you ignore form 5 or you complete it and he's not Godzilla anymore.

[.
The humanoids on his tail were form 5.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

[.
Considering it's a static shot, and they're only in the film for two seconds, it's easy to ignore them and just use the same Shin Godzilla design. It's really not a big deal. I already posted a video before yesterday, in this thread, that shows how easy it is to simply retcon some of Shin's abilities and make him more of a standard Godzilla.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Since form 5 was never seen on screen it’s not an issue.

[.
Considering it's a static shot, and they're only in the film for two seconds, it's easy to ignore them and just use the same Shin Godzilla design. It's really not a big deal. I already posted a video before yesterday, in this thread, that shows how easy it is to simply retcon some of Shin's abilities and make him more of a standard Godzilla.
But is he really still Shin Godzilla at that point. Anno did a Good job of making shin feel like it was truly a new variant of the character.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

miguelnuva wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
But is he really still Shin Godzilla at that point. Anno did a Good job of making shin feel like it was truly a new variant of the character.
He isn't, but that's not really what LSD is saying. He specifically said to use the Shin design.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Considering it's a static shot, and they're only in the film for two seconds, it's easy to ignore them and just use the same Shin Godzilla design. It's really not a big deal. I already posted a video before yesterday, in this thread, that shows how easy it is to simply retcon some of Shin's abilities and make him more of a standard Godzilla.
He isn't, but that's not really what LSD is saying. He specifically said to use the Shin design.
Oh, my mistake.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image