Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:28 am Damn, here's an irony I just noticed - the Prime Minister didn't want to leave his post in Tokyo, because he felt that he couldn't leave his people behind. He felt that evacuating was a cowardly move - now, how much of his reasoning is based on morality and how much is based on political optics is up for debate - but it's an interesting choice on his part.

He's convinced to leave, of course; mainly because his location is in Godzilla's path...but by leaving, he ensured his own death. Godzilla was done moving at that point, and if the PM decided to stay put (in what I'm assuming is an underground bunker), he would have most likely survived. But no, he and several others hopped on that helicopter, and paid the price for it. I'm wondering if there's any thematic purpose for this.
THe heli was on top of the PM building, which were in range of and would have gotten smashed by Shin's spaz lasers. He was done for either way.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:28 am Damn, here's an irony I just noticed - the Prime Minister didn't want to leave his post in Tokyo, because he felt that he couldn't leave his people behind. He felt that evacuating was a cowardly move - now, how much of his reasoning is based on morality and how much is based on political optics is up for debate - but it's an interesting choice on his part.

He's convinced to leave, of course; mainly because his location is in Godzilla's path...but by leaving, he ensured his own death. Godzilla was done moving at that point, and if the PM decided to stay put (in what I'm assuming is an underground bunker), he would have most likely survived. But no, he and several others hopped on that helicopter, and paid the price for it. I'm wondering if there's any thematic purpose for this.
Well there's a plot reason: to shift the control over to the main cast, and push them up the ranks. It also works as a great end to the second half, which is basically the low point of the film.

You can over interpret it, that the idea is that it was impossible to escape, or it was a disaster out of their hands, but who knows. One thing that is important: the fact that he dies in the chopper was a deliberate choice by Anno, otherwise they could've just had the area he was in blow up.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:27 am THe heli was on top of the PM building, which were in range of and would have gotten smashed by Shin's spaz lasers. He was done for either way.
Ah, darn. In that case he should have gone with Yaguchi and co...
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:45 amWell there's a plot reason: to shift the control over to the main cast, and push them up the ranks. It also works as a great end to the second half, which is basically the low point of the film.
I was pretty shocked by those deaths the first time I watched it. The aftermath of it is chilling, too.
You can over interpret it, that the idea is that it was impossible to escape, or it was a disaster out of their hands, but who knows. One thing that is important: the fact that he dies in the chopper was a deliberate choice by Anno, otherwise they could've just had the area he was in blow up.
Yeah, the more I read about Anno, the more I realize that he mostly flies by the seat of his pants, and probably makes most of his story decisions based on what would be 'cool' or impactful rather than intentionally going for a deeper meaning. Regardless, the film has a lot on its mind, and it has a thematic richness to it that's a lot of fun to analyze.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:45 am

Well there's a plot reason: to shift the control over to the main cast, and push them up the ranks. It also works as a great end to the second half, which is basically the low point of the film.

That is almost certainly true; while he would've died either way there was a reason they decided to have him get killed in the chopper and not his administrative building ( think that was where he was planning to stay, it was where they were trying to convince him to leave and it would be difficult to "see out the american strike" underground. IK you're a Japanese resident so if you have more knowledge on this pls fill me in).

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Heyo! First time in this thread

This film has very easily become my favorite of the entire Godzilla franchise and one of my favorite films in general.

I remember first hearing about Hideaki Anno, the genius behind my favorite anime and Mecha (NGE and the Eva’s) was working on a Godzilla film? I way hyped! Even then, there’s was always that little bit of worry in the back of my head that somehow Anno would screw it all up.

He didn’t. Not even close.

Everything about this film is damn near perfection. I almost always prefer the “fights” or “spectacle” of entertainment but there’s just something about Anno’s directing that gets me to love the drama, story, and themes just as much as the giant monster and robot parts.

Like...how in the hell does someone make people sitting in a conference room discussing things in a monster movie good???

The monster of the film himself is no different. Shin ties with Legendary for my favorite Godzilla in every single way. I love it’s design, abilities, and just how goddamn interesting it is to discuss. I love talking about Shin’s possible evolutions, his connection to Goro Maki, if he would’ve actually died from the nuke the US was going to drop, and so many other things

Come to think of it, this film has so much substance. It’s not just Shin that’s interesting and so much fun to discuss, it’s the themes, characters, and story itself too. No Godzilla movie ever has ever provided as much substance than this one.

Shin Gojira, the Heisei Gamera trilogy, and Pacific Rim are all my top favorite kaiju films for completely different reasons. I have a feeling that Godzilla vs Kong is going to be up there too, but we’ll have to wait and see lol
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:34 am This film has very easily become my favorite of the entire Godzilla franchise and one of my favorite films in general.
Same. It's my favorite monster movie and one of my top five movies in general.
I remember first hearing about Hideaki Anno, the genius behind my favorite anime and Mecha (NGE and the Eva’s) was working on a Godzilla film? I way hyped!
I haven't seen anything else Anno has done, but I'll be jumping into Evangelion soon enough. I hear it's great.
Like...how in the hell does someone make people sitting in a conference room discussing things in a monster movie good???
It reminds me of films like 12 Angry Men or High and Low in how it can create so much drama and suspense in such small spaces. A lot of people are bored by films like this ("too much talking" they say), but when done correctly, I find this dialogue-heavy approach to be very compelling.
Come to think of it, this film has so much substance. It’s not just Shin that’s interesting and so much fun to discuss, it’s the themes, characters, and story itself too. No Godzilla movie ever has ever provided as much substance than this one.
Indeed - like Evan (eabaker) told me recently, Shin Godzilla lives in a land of contrasts. It's dark, but it's also funny. It seems nationalistic at times, but it also goes out of its way to wink and nod at globalism. It values individualism and rebelliousness, while also showing how powerful the collective can be. It's cynical about bureaucracy, but offers some potential solutions. It's the conflict between these opposing viewpoints that gives the movie its richness.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think Shin Godzilla deserves much more credit than it's given. Beyond being an amazing Godzilla film, it's like watching a real time processing of a national tragedy in a brutal and honest way. I'm not trying to knock Parasite here, but it bothers me that it got the attention it did and Shin just gets to be number one on a ScreenRant "Top 10 WEIRDEST Godzilla moments" listicle. It's truly an incredible film, and not only that but an important one.
Anyways, it's always great to see people appreciate the film for what it is and not dog on it because Godzilla doesn't have a traditional design or fight another monster.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:04 pm I think Shin Godzilla deserves much more credit than it's given. Beyond being an amazing Godzilla film, it's like watching a real time processing of a national tragedy in a brutal and honest way.
That's very well-put. I think there are three reasons why the film isn't as well-received in the west as it is in Japan:

1) Context - the film is all about where Japan is and where it's going; internally and on the world stage. Knowing the specifics of the post-war occupation, the US-made constitution, the role of the JSDF/Article 9, and the Tohoku/Fukushima disaster helps make the film make a lot more sense (much like the context surrounding the 1954 original). Japanese audiences know all these things intimately going into the film, most US viewers do not.

2) Expectation - Some people expect a dumb monster movie and hence turn off their brain - the chances of noticing the film's nuances and subtext are much lower with this mindset.

3) Nationalism - I think many critics, especially in the old guard of kaiju scholars, have unfairly labeled this film as 'right-wing nationalist propaganda' - a claim so easily debunked that it's downright laughable.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:47 pm 3) Nationalism - I think many critics, especially in the old guard of kaiju scholars, have unfairly labeled this film as 'right-wing nationalist propaganda' - a claim so easily debunked that it's downright laughable.
Yeah that one really sticks in my craw. Around the time the movie was released in the west someone argued with me that Shin was troubling because of Japan's actions in Dubya Dubya Too, and as a result of said actions, they somehow... Don't deserve to be independent and proud of their heritage and culture? If that's the case I guess I should burn every red white and blue object in my house for all the fucked up stuff America has done. Matter of fact, by that logic, there's really no room for ANY sense of patriotism in ANY country. But boomers gonna boom I guess.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Its only considered nationalistic because its portrayal of America as a bully constantly forcing its way into international situations were it doesn't belong. But there's also a strong message of coming together, working across international lines to solve important problems. The idea that we can accomplish anything if we all work together.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I remember hearing people sort of raise the alarm about 'it's nationalistic! They might want to repeat WWII!'
I see the film and I see an understandable desire for your country to stand as it's own but at the same time a strong message of unity.

I'd be alarmed about it being hyper nationalistic if the solution became "round up all the Koreans, Chinese and other foreigners living here! Purge them!" Then it actually appeases Godzilla and he goes back into the sea. Basically instead of being a challenge for everyone to overcome Godzilla is a wake up call for Japan to get aggressive again.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:34 am I remember first hearing about Hideaki Anno, the genius behind my favorite anime and Mecha (NGE and the Eva’s) was working on a Godzilla film? I way hyped! Even then, there’s was always that little bit of worry in the back of my head that somehow Anno would screw it all up.

He didn’t. Not even close.
I was dismayed when it was announced the creator of Evangelion would be directing the first Toho produced Godzilla film in over a decade. It was a pleasant surprise to watch him knock it out of the park for me.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:26 pm Its only considered nationalistic because its portrayal of America as a bully constantly forcing its way into international situations were it doesn't belong. But there's also a strong message of coming together, working across international lines to solve important problems. The idea that we can accomplish anything if we all work together.
Especially given it is the US military who launches the drone strikes and missile strikes during OPERATION: Yashiori to help take down Godzilla.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

And Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla just got confirmed, what!

It’s a comic, but still amazing.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 pm And Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla just got confirmed, what!

What an incredible development tbh, KINO between 2 interconnected fandoms.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

That IS fantastic news, isn't it? Such an exciting time to be a Godzilla fan and, especially as someone who is very much in love with Shin, great to see that version of the character live on. Now if we could just get the Awaji Park short film to leak somehow...
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 pm And Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla just got confirmed, what!

phantomsdaydreams wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:33 pm That IS fantastic news, isn't it? Such an exciting time to be a Godzilla fan and, especially as someone who is very much in love with Shin, great to see that version of the character live on. Now if we could just get the Awaji Park short film to leak somehow...
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:45 pm What an incredible development tbh, KINO between 2 interconnected fandoms.
Guys. Look at the calendar.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

XD That's what happens when you don't get any sleep for 48 hours in a row, I guess. Haha Good one though, I must admit. Ironically, trying to research the whole thing actually DID lead me to a fantastic looking indie comic on Itch.io where Shin Godzilla fights Monsterverse Kong, so...I'd still call it a win! :) Link below for anyone interested, as Shin seems to be heavily involved:

https://onesecretpseudo.itch.io/dd-comi ... 9Evs80kt2s
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Excuse me what?

LINK???????? PLEASE!?!?!?!?
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Wait a minute.