Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Jomei
Futurian

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Jomei »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Jomei wrote:More on my blog (some details, another video, promotional poster with awesome art), but check out this new VR game attraction featuring Shin Godzilla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIQ3HKjLZ10
I want it now. That looks skreeonking awesome! Oh do you know what happened to that Universal Studios Japan Shin Godzilla ride? I can't find anything on it.
It was less of a ride than a 4D show (which does mean moving seats, sprays of water, wind, etc.) in their special theaters. They rotate new shows in every year as part of their Cool Japan section. I was lucky enough to attend while it was operating and also saw an Evangelion and an Attack on Titan show.

I have a bunch of coverage of the USJ Godzilla stuff.
Last edited by Jomei on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Rewatching Shin, this time the dubbed version, man the dubbing is awful.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wow.... it's already been two years since the release of Shin as of today. I still remember the hype and speculation leading up to it. Man those were the days.

11 hours later: No one really? I thought more people would reflect on this mastapiece of an edition to the franchise after a whopping two years :D No? Allllllrighty then.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Wow.... it's already been two years since the release of Shin as of today. I still remember the hype and speculation leading up to it. Man those were the days.

11 hours later: No one really? I thought more people would reflect on this mastapiece of an edition to the franchise after a whopping two years :D No? Allllllrighty then.
I still really dig it. Seeing it in theaters was magical. :huge:

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I wonder if Anno and Sagisu had Kaoru Wada's re-recordings of the Godzilla (1954) soundtrack available to them during the production of this movie. If so, it was kind of a missed opportunity. Compare the original recording to the latest one.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Still in my heavy re-watch rotation, only modern (post-Showa) Godzilla film that is...

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

Is that supposed to be a figure? Cuz if it is, I want it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It’s just a new promo picture.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

There’s so much I love about this film, but I think my favourite pet might be actually be near the beginning when the situation starts to become more serious - the way the music (Persecution of the Masses, I think?) moves the tone from one of comedic satire to one of unfolding tragedy is honestly masterful.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:There’s so much I love about this film, but I think my favourite pet might be actually be near the beginning when the situation starts to become more serious - the way the music (Persecution of the Masses, I think?) moves the tone from one of comedic satire to one of unfolding tragedy is honestly masterful.
^This guy right here!
I think that the movie is one of the best takes on Godzilla in a long time, not just because it goes back to the darker, scarier roots of the series, or because of the insanse action scenes--though those were certainly part of it--but because it was the most effective uses of Godzilla as a metaphor for the mistakes of both science and society in a long time.

And I agree with you, KC, the music is one of the best parts; to me, it's got some of the best music from classic Godzilla movie soundtracks and Shiro Sagisu, himself! The original pieces are what really makes the movie for me: Persecution of the Masses sends shivers down my spine and sets the tone for tragedy, Who Will Know is a haunting blend of horror and sorrow, and Under a Burning Sky (which I feel doesn't get enough love) gives off a great "impending doom" feeling.

Plus, this movie won the Japanese Academy Award for Best Picture! How many kaiju movies--no, how many monster movies, of any kind, have gotten that kind of recognition? This movie is just a great example of everything I love about kaiju movies: you can have intellectual discussions on social-political issues AND giant monsters blowing stuff up with lasers.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

So when I first saw Shin Godzilla, I thought it was just ok. But after taking a look at it again and comparing it to the Anime trilogy, MAYBE I didn't give it as much credit as I should have. It's REALLY grown on me.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For those of you who saw Omni Viewer’s videos critiquing the film, do you find his issues nitpicks more than anything else?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Titanoterror98 wrote: you can have intellectual discussions on social-political issues AND giant monsters blowing stuff up with lasers.
Still waiting for a big budget Hollywood Godzilla film that takes that route. Unfortunately G14 was not it, despite early promotion leading me to believe it would be. Guess Shin is the closest I'm gonna get for now.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

LegendZilla wrote:For those of you who saw Omni Viewer’s videos critiquing the film, do you find his issues nitpicks more than anything else?
I can't stand to watch that guy's videos for more than 30 seconds tops lol.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KillCrites wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:For those of you who saw Omni Viewer’s videos critiquing the film, do you find his issues nitpicks more than anything else?
It's that damn fedora that gets to me :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

KillCrites wrote:
I boggles me why you won’tbsince He seems like a really smart guy.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

LegendZilla wrote:
KillCrites wrote:
It's mostly his mannerisms I think that get to me. He's just kind of annoying imo.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote:
KillCrites wrote:
So what if he's smart? Hitler was pretty smart but he was clearly a dick.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.