Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I really need to watch this again. After my initial viewing at the theater I've only watched the movie in bits and clips, mostly just skipping through my blurays to make sure they played fine. Funny I remember bits of it much more vividly than I remember KotM and I've seen that much much more recently. Goes to show how little impact KotM had on me I guess.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Why buy Blu-Rays if you don't watch them

Like I understand collecting physical media and trying to preserve it but if you're going to buy multiple Blu-Rays why not watch at least one
Last edited by G2000 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

G2000 wrote:Why buy Blu-Rays if you don't watch them

Like I understand collecting physical media and trying to preserve it but if you're going to buy multiple Blu-Rays why not watch at least one
I don't know what Tyrant's reasoning is, but I often buy DVDs or Blu-rays I don't necessarily intend to watch right away. That way I have them on hand when I do actually feel like watching them, you know? And especially with kaiju movies like this that often get limited runs or just don't stick around for very long, it's wise to grab them while they're available. Also, I typically go years in between viewings of any given movie so I don't get bored with them, and consequently my physical media tends to sit unused for quite a while. I have movies I've owned for several years and haven't watched yet.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I've also got tons of books I've bought and never read. Even some video games I've bought and not played yet.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Image
So...any context for this? Cool picture, nevertheless.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

G-Matt wrote:
It's a scene from a short that'll be shown at the Godzilla Museum

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
G-Matt wrote:
When is that happening? Depending on corona I think I'll go...
Information is appreciated!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
G-Matt wrote: So...any context for this? Cool picture, nevertheless.
https://akiba-souken.com/article/47114/

Taking place Saturday, October 10th at ... uh,
兵庫県淡路市楠本2425番(「ニジゲンノモリ」 モリノテラス付近)

There, lol. Another Shin image is on that page, too.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GigaBowserG wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote: It's a scene from a short that'll be shown at the Godzilla Museum
https://akiba-souken.com/article/47114/

Taking place Saturday, October 10th at ... uh,
兵庫県淡路市楠本2425番(「ニジゲンノモリ」 モリノテラス付近)

There, lol. Another Shin image is on that page, too.

My Google translate function wouldn't translate the article for some reason. Could someone tell me what this short is? From the pics there's obviously news stuff so not just a behind the scenes thing. Is it a side story that's supposed to take place during the 2016 movie, is it some out of continuity story, what? More information would be welcome, and I hope it becomes available outside the museum eventually.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

In the attraction video that can only be seen at the theater, Kazuhiro Nakagawa, who was selected for the Agency for Cultural Affairs commissioned project "Young Filmmaker Development Project" in 2017, will be the director and will be unfolded against Godzilla who appeared on Awaji Island. The whole picture of "Godzilla interception operation" is drawn. The powerful images produced by Toho, just like a movie, and the original story created for this attraction will draw participants into Godzilla's world view at once. In addition, gorgeous actors such as Hirona Yamazaki, who is about to make her world debut in the Hollywood movie "Monster Hunter", and Satoru Matsuo, who appears in the movie "Shin Godzilla", will also appear.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Oh must be to coincide with grand opening of the giant Shin Godzilla bust/attraction they're building.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

This popped up in my recommended:
https://youtu.be/AHc8732qQG8
...how accurate is the information presented in this video?
It's interesting to say the least, albeit kinda ridiculous.
For those who don't want to sit through a 17 minute video, it basically explains an unused Shin Godzilla concept where he ended up evolving into another universe. I've never heard of this before.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

DirektorSplennic wrote:This popped up in my recommended:
For those who don't want to sit through a 17 minute video, it basically explains an unused Shin Godzilla concept where he ended up evolving into another universe. I've never heard of this before.
You haven't heard of it before because it's a total fabrication.

In short, you got clickbaited.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

GigaBowserG wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:This popped up in my recommended:
You haven't heard of it before because it's a total fabrication.

In short, you got clickbaited.
I knew something was wrong when he said Shinji Higuchi made Evangelion. I actually decided to sit through the whole video this morning for shits and giggles, and not once does he say it's fake. It's not just clickbait, it's straight up lies.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Gotta give Toho a lot of credit for being able to do a consistently animate Shin as effectively as they have. Goes to show how far Japanese special effects are coming along.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Gotta give Toho a lot of credit for being able to do a consistently animate Shin as effectively as they have. Goes to show how far Japanese special effects are coming along.
Out of the admittedly limited number of "recent" live action Japanese movies I've seen, Shin is by far the best and most impressive visually - but I'm confident it's not a one off. Outside of Shin most of what I've seen from the past decade has been anime and Ultraman stuff, but there's one recent one that while not on Shin's level has some impressive CGI - Bravestorm. It's kind of a superhero vs alien invasion giant mecha movie, no kaiju. But the mecha and destruction scenes are visually impressive. It came to the States on DVD earlier this year, but was released in Japan back in 2017, just one year after Shin.

I don't know how good other Japanese movies look right now, but just having one more approaching the visual effects of Shin helps cement the progress of Japanese effects as more than a one time fluke. Really makes me look forward to the World of Godzilla even more, as well as more special effects movies from Toho and Japan in general.

(No idea if Toho had a hand in Bravestorm or not.)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

We'll see when the trailer for Shin Ultraman drops.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:We'll see when the trailer for Shin Ultraman drops.
Agreed, and looking forward to it. Hope it continues the upward trend of Japanese visual effects. I have faith though, for the time being. It's got much of the same team behind it as Shin Godzilla did. I have more concerns about the script and directing than how good it will look.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm convinced that Shin only looked as good as it did because it barely moved at all. Expensive model that's very well lit and implemented, but cheaply animated. Couple that with 70% of the movie being filmed in cheap, ordinary office spaces and you're left with a budget for a very realistic model... and not much else. The fact that they're on record saying they ran out of money to give the film a full score and soundscape is evidence of that; as is the drop in animation quality whenever Godzilla dramatically moves (such as in its earlier forms, or after it fires atomic breath).

If the movie was budgeted any other way, it would probably look more like the Attack on Titan movies. Maybe even worse, considering they refused to use a practical Godzilla.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.