Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by ToxicLove »

I felt the hype for G14 too, especially when that teaser from ComicCon leaked. However, as the premiere drew closer and I finally saw the film, it didn't leave much of an impact. A thunderstorm was promised, and out came a little fart of rain. Granted, that's just me and what I was expecting.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Most the hype I had for Shin was mostly the fact that it was being built up as the film I wanted G14 to be. Except for a few minor gripes it largely met my expectations. For one thing Shin's "reality" felt far more real than G14's "reality".
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri May 03, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Just curious, is the name "Godzilla: Resurgence" used anywhere beside a poster?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Most the hype I had for Shin was mostly the fact that it was being built up as the film I wanted G14 to be. Except for a few minor gripes it largely met my expectations. For one thing Shin's "reality" felt far more real than G14's "reality".
Yeah, I felt like Shin gave us much more than movie that G14's advertising promised (but with more energy and cooler photography and editing).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I definitely reminisce more about Shin than G14, I liked G14 at the time and now I'm sorta mixed on it, I loved Shin since I saw it at the theater and I still love it. Such a great film, nearly everything about it is sublime.

And the sound design alongside the use of older tracks was great. Couldn't care less if they stuck out, they just added to the film's energy and unusualness.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I thought we were just talking about the hype and buildup, not the actual films. Shin was definitely the better film but independent of that, G14's pre-release hype blew Shin's away monumentally.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I have just rewatched Shin Godzilla for my third viewing; second since seeing it in theaters back in 2016. Unfortunately, I do not see my opinion of this movie trending upwards all that much. After initially Shin Godzilla, I had a couple of major gripes with the film ranging from its portrayal of Godzilla, its excessive use of dialogue/political banter, and explorations of themes concerning foreign presence in Japan. While I believe my third initial issue with this film has been resolved by me accepting the fact that this movie is intended for a Japanese audience, my first two issues have not faded with multiple viewings.

I can understand that the excessive political banter is done on purpose to express the red tape that plagues the Japanese government; however, the con of this is that such discussion becomes the majority of the film. I believe that focusing almost exclusively on politics and following politicians throughout the movie leaves the audience without a character to truly sympathize with and latch on to. There is no chance for character development because there is a need to address the problem of Godzilla. Like many of you, I cannot help but compare this film to the two it most closely resembles: Gojira and Return of Godzilla. Both of those films succeed in having characters that are engaging and are personable, while we do not have the opportunity to learn more about Yaguchi beyond his political ambitions. This is a shame as I cannot engage myself in the majority of this movie because it is nothing more than meetings and the "outcasts" working to solve the issue at hand, Godzilla.

And now we arrive at one of my other issue, Godzilla himself. I can accept that the creative team behind this movie decided to do something radically different with Godzilla, which I applaud. It would be hypocritical of me to bash this Godzilla for simply that if at the same time, I am a big fan of movies with different origins of Godzilla like GMK and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. I will also commend this film for having one of the best scenes in the entire series, being Godzilla's destruction of Tokyo. My main problem is Godzilla's screen time relative to the political banter and what he does during the time he is on. Until the atomic ray scene, Godzilla does nothing more than wander obliviously through Tokyo with little to no reaction. It is a popular theory that many fans gravitate to Godzilla because there is something we see in him that allows us to have a personal connection with the kaiju. This could be standing out in the world to just wishing young could destroy your problems like Godzilla. Giving Godzilla little to no personality in this film prevents the viewer from making that connection like many of us have done with preceding films. In my opinion, it is the driving force behind why we all rewatch this movies and call ourselves Godzilla fans. At this point, I have no issue with his design, his abilities, and his origins; however, I don't think I will be able to make that pivotal connection with Godzilla like I have for other films.

The combination of an impersonal human plot and Godzilla prevent this film from surpassing Gojira and Return of Godzilla. Smaller pet peeves stilled exist for me such as odd English dialogue spoken by the Japanese cast and the usage of old SFX sounds, which take me out of the film whenever I hear them (not as bad as stock footage though). I do believe that this is one of the better Godzilla films out there and I do believe that the creators behind this movie had a deep appreciation for Godzilla. After all, this is my own gripes with the movie and I am sure there are many out there who would disagree with me.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:I have just rewatched Shin Godzilla for my third viewing; second since seeing it in theaters back in 2016. Unfortunately, I do not see my opinion of this movie trending upwards all that much. After initially Shin Godzilla, I had a couple of major gripes with the film ranging from its portrayal of Godzilla, its excessive use of dialogue/political banter, and explorations of themes concerning foreign presence in Japan. While I believe my third initial issue with this film has been resolved by me accepting the fact that this movie is intended for a Japanese audience, my first two issues have not faded with multiple viewings.

I can understand that the excessive political banter is done on purpose to express the red tape that plagues the Japanese government; however, the con of this is that such discussion becomes the majority of the film. I believe that focusing almost exclusively on politics and following politicians throughout the movie leaves the audience without a character to truly sympathize with and latch on to. There is no chance for character development because there is a need to address the problem of Godzilla. Like many of you, I cannot help but compare this film to the two it most closely resembles: Gojira and Return of Godzilla. Both of those films succeed in having characters that are engaging and are personable, while we do not have the opportunity to learn more about Yaguchi beyond his political ambitions. This is a shame as I cannot engage myself in the majority of this movie because it is nothing more than meetings and the "outcasts" working to solve the issue at hand, Godzilla.

And now we arrive at one of my other issue, Godzilla himself. I can accept that the creative team behind this movie decided to do something radically different with Godzilla, which I applaud. It would be hypocritical of me to bash this Godzilla for simply that if at the same time, I am a big fan of movies with different origins of Godzilla like GMK and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. I will also commend this film for having one of the best scenes in the entire series, being Godzilla's destruction of Tokyo. My main problem is Godzilla's screen time relative to the political banter and what he does during the time he is on. Until the atomic ray scene, Godzilla does nothing more than wander obliviously through Tokyo with little to no reaction. It is a popular theory that many fans gravitate to Godzilla because there is something we see in him that allows us to have a personal connection with the kaiju. This could be standing out in the world to just wishing young could destroy your problems like Godzilla. Giving Godzilla little to no personality in this film prevents the viewer from making that connection like many of us have done with preceding films. In my opinion, it is the driving force behind why we all rewatch this movies and call ourselves Godzilla fans. At this point, I have no issue with his design, his abilities, and his origins; however, I don't think I will be able to make that pivotal connection with Godzilla like I have for other films.

The combination of an impersonal human plot and Godzilla prevent this film from surpassing Gojira and Return of Godzilla. Smaller pet peeves stilled exist for me such as odd English dialogue spoken by the Japanese cast and the usage of old SFX sounds, which take me out of the film whenever I hear them (not as bad as stock footage though). I do believe that this is one of the better Godzilla films out there and I do believe that the creators behind this movie had a deep appreciation for Godzilla. After all, this is my own gripes with the movie and I am sure there are many out there who would disagree with me.
While I disagree with your opinion, I appreciate your semi-original perspective on being able able to have a relationship as a viewer with Godzilla in previous entries. I think that Godzilla was intentionally portrayed as probably the most barebones he was, in order to effectively make him creepy, and more liken him to the Fukishima disaster. Notice that Godzilla in the film gradually loses his animalistic nature throughout the film. I would argue that actually, for many Japanese people who saw the film, while they could not identify with Godzilla, they could easily identify with the shock of what was going on, and how the government responses gradually changed and evolved over time. Godzilla, unlike other films, is directly the antagonist, and a more force of nature. I can see why people would like it less on that basis.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:I have just rewatched Shin Godzilla for my third viewing; second since seeing it in theaters back in 2016. Unfortunately, I do not see my opinion of this movie trending upwards all that much. After initially Shin Godzilla, I had a couple of major gripes with the film ranging from its portrayal of Godzilla, its excessive use of dialogue/political banter, and explorations of themes concerning foreign presence in Japan. While I believe my third initial issue with this film has been resolved by me accepting the fact that this movie is intended for a Japanese audience, my first two issues have not faded with multiple viewings.

While I disagree with your opinion, I appreciate your semi-original perspective on being able able to have a relationship as a viewer with Godzilla in previous entries. I think that Godzilla was intentionally portrayed as probably the most barebones he was, in order to effectively make him creepy, and more liken him to the Fukishima disaster. Notice that Godzilla in the film gradually loses his animalistic nature throughout the film. I would argue that actually, for many Japanese people who saw the film, while they could not identify with Godzilla, they could easily identify with the shock of what was going on, and how the government responses gradually changed and evolved over time. Godzilla, unlike other films, is directly the antagonist, and a more force of nature. I can see why people would like it less on that basis.
I can see what you mean with the portayal of Godzilla in this film as intentional. Back in 2016, I actually had the opportunity to receive a lecture from Shogo Tomiyama about Godzilla with my study abroad group and I was able to ask about how Godzilla would be portrayed in this film in comparison to 2014. He told me that this new Godzilla would be much scarier like G54. I am aware of the parallels between Shin Godzilla and Fukushima, but perhaps my knowledge of this event is too limited and as such, that is not a pay-off that I have yet to have with this movie.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Hey you guys heard that the USJ Shin vs Evangelion ride is going to feature an exclusive new Ghidorah design and a figure accompanying it?

Added in 1 hour 25 minutes 9 seconds:
"Shin Ghidorah"
Last edited by Vandarker on Thu May 30, 2019 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Vandarker wrote:Hey you guys heard that the USJ Shin vs Evangelion ride ia goinf to feature an exclusive new Ghidorah design and a figure accompanying it?

"Shin Ghidorah"
That looks insane, actually. Like Showa/Heisei Ghidorah, but more demonic.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wow, Toho is really letting loose eh? A whole new King Ghidorah just for a limited ride! I love how the Showa manes made a return, can't wait to see any pics of him in action.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I can’t wait for the usual sites to get some of those in. I’ll gladly pay the likely expensive prices to own that.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu May 30, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Vandarker wrote:Hey you guys heard that the USJ Shin vs Evangelion ride is going to feature an exclusive new Ghidorah design and a figure accompanying it?

"Shin Ghidorah"
Hawt damn!
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Vandarker wrote:Hey you guys heard that the USJ Shin vs Evangelion ride is going to feature an exclusive new Ghidorah design and a figure accompanying it?

"Shin Ghidorah"
Well I'll be a sun of gun! Thats kind of a cool design but as "twisted" as I would imagine a Shin version of KG would be. NEED THAT FIGURE THO.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:I can’t wait for the usual sites to get some of those in. I’ll gladly pay the likely expensive prices to own that.
Normally I pass on some of these exclusives, but I'm with you on this. This is way too cool to miss.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I agree, wow that is such a cool figure and design. It's like a modernized yet grotesquely beautiful Showa Ghidorah.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

I like the look of those alien-looking transparent wings

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Vandarker wrote:Image
I like the look of those alien-looking transparent wings
It's BEAUTIFUL
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

So the design is completely exclusive to a ride I'll most likely never get to go on, and the figure that they made to accompany said ride is absolutely beautiful and is far superior to the MMS KOTM King Ghidorah in terms of a quality figure.

I think I shifted to an alternate reality.