TK User Shin Godzilla Review and Question Thread (Spoilers)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: TK User Shin Godzilla Review and Question Thread (Spoilers)

Post by szmigiel »

It is interesting that it was a group that solved the problem was made up of misfits, with strong individualism, and they throw out seniority and other protocols to work faster and more efficiently. While the groups earlier in the film where less effective. So the film makes a case that working as a group is important, but so it needs individuals at the same time.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I took the message more so that, everyone needs to work together and can't let title get in the way. The team was successful because they just did what needed to be done and were open to all ideas, where Yaguchi, despite being right, was basically told to shut up earlier because of his place in the hierarchy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ok I'm not quite sure where I would place it but it could possibly make my top 5. Some of the FX were a bit off and all the English dialogue was pretty cringy but I liked most the characters and most the acting was strong, particularly toward the final act. The destruction scenes were of course the highlight, surpassing just about anything witnessed in any previous kaiju film. While G14 had better FX, of course, I felt Shin made much better use of them. There's some really breathtaking photography and cinematography in there. Also despite a lot of complaints there wasn't a single moment where the dialogue left me bored. Everything moved at a pretty brisk pace and there was just enough comedic bits to liven things up (something G14 severely lacked). Toward the end I really felt compelled to root for Yaguchi and his team especially with the threat of nuclear destruction hanging over their heads. All in all while it might not exactly be the best "Godzilla film" per say it is still a very strong film overall.

As for the subs, I took most people's advice and didn't even bother with character titles and locations. As such I don't think I missed a single beat of the dialogue as I feared I would. It was also welcome to see some familiar faces among the cast. Not to mention Satomi Ishihara looking as gorgeous as I expected she would (her English notwithstanding). But that wasn't solely her fault, all the English dialogue felt pretty awkward, not just her's.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

atomiccrusader
Samurai

Post by atomiccrusader »

I posted this on my Tumblr but I figured I should post it here too;

I really REALLY love this movie. It may be one of my favorite kaiju films of all time, right up there with Gamera 2: Advent of Legion and Godzilla (1954). If you haven’t seen this movie yet, do so. Its new, its refreshing, and its interesting. Most importantly, it isn’t stale, something that plagued the series in recent history (and this is coming from a guy who adores the Heisei era).

•I was really surprised by how fast paced the movie was given the amount of meetings. I was initially afraid that they would have bogged the movie down but was pleasantly surprised.

•It certainly helps that the characters are really interesting. And the camera work was unique and kept my attention with the odd angles (such as within a computer screen)

•Godzilla’s 2nd form (Kamata-Kun) was surprisingly creepy and unsettling, but at the same time super cute and squishy!

•The evolution from the 2nd to 3rd form had some wonky CGI, but was still cool. Kinda wish the 3rd form had more to do…

•I LOVE that they acknowledged that square cubed law thing that people always bring up with kaiju films to ruin the fun with “oh but godzilla should collapse under his own weight so unrealistic”. They acknowledge that Godzilla should die from his own weight and that fact that he is able to even move at all is made a point of HORROR. GODZILLA LITERALLY DESTROYS A LAW OF PHYSICS and its TERRIFYING.

•Still love Godzilla’s design, tiny arms and all.

•Godzilla apparently only has like 18 minutes of screen time, but it feels like so much more. Probably because he is the focus of like 90% of the spoken dialogue. It helps that his scenes are spaced out very well.

•Loved the Self Defence Forces attack on Godzilla and how he obviously does not care.

•SHOWA SOUND EFFECTS ARE SO GOOD.

•The atomic ray sequence was breathtaking. Looked better in the theater than on the many YouTube videos. Love the back rays, by the way, and the tail ray too.

•I ESPECIALLY loved the use of Heisei sound effects for Godzilla’s atomic ray. As a Heisei fanboy that little bit made me happy.

•The first part of the third act did kinda slow down a bit, but it picked up really quick (again, thanks to the interesting characters)

•The final attack on Godzilla was amazing. I thought Godzilla seemed a little lethargic, but he did just wake up and use all his radiation.

•Those Godzilla-humanoids were freaky as fuck man, jeez. I have a feeling that if they make a sequel with another kaiju, they will somehow link it to those things…

•The music was GREAT.

Overall, its a fantastic kaiju film and just as much a Godzilla movie as any other film in the long running series. Had they gone with another “safe” traditional approach, I feel like it would not have been as well received. I for one welcome our creepy new Goji.

Anno was the perfect choice.
And Then A Skeleton Popped Out! | Check out my Tumblr: http://atomic-crusader.tumblr.com

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

I got to see the movie opening night, I finally got my video edited and up expressing my thoughts.

I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

szmigiel wrote:It is interesting that it was a group that solved the problem was made up of misfits, with strong individualism, and they throw out seniority and other protocols to work faster and more efficiently. While the groups earlier in the film where less effective. So the film makes a case that working as a group is important, but so it needs individuals at the same time.
Differences complement each other, allowing different strengths. If everyone is the same then they all have the same weakness.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

There is a Japanese saying "The nail that sticks out shall be hammered down", This movie is where those nail that stick out help save the day.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

atomiccrusader wrote:The final attack on Godzilla was amazing. I thought Godzilla seemed a little lethargic, but he did just wake up and use all his radiation.
You gotta remember they also woke him prematurely before he fully regenerated his full power. I heard people bitch about Godzilla hibernating in the middle of the movie but I was glad to see the whole thing was part of a major plotline and wasn't just a lame excuse to keep him out of the picture for awhile. Glad to see there was a legitimate reason for it. Plus of course I was happy to hear the 84 roar at the end.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Just returned from this film.... I would say that I generally loved it up to the beginning of the third act when I hit a slump.

Positives:

-Godzilla was a fucking spectacle, and I am not exaggerating when I say that I enjoyed watching each and every one of his separate forms. I don't give a damn what y'all say about his first form.
-The special and visual effects, while still subpar to the USA's standards, weren't half bad. Some night shots looked gorgeous, actually
-Action sequences. As I previously stated, Godzilla was an absolute sight to behold. If you're looking for an unstoppable force, this is where you will find it. The nighttime penultimate sequence where he lay waste to the city? Marvelous scene, and quite a tearjerker if I must say so myself.
-Music, at least partly. Some of the tracks were amazing, though I did not care for the unnecessary oversaturation of retro music.
-Female lead was eye candy, need I say more?

Negatives:

-Too. Much. Governmental. Shit. Did I stutter? The third act prior to the climax was the worst offender of this. This is where I hit a slump after the fantastic second act.
-As I said earlier, the oversaturation of older Godzilla music was abnormal.
-Climax was curtailed too quickly, and it blows too because it was otherwise a very intriguing sequence of events.
-Flat characters. Who was the main character anyway?

I will try to write a full review tomorrow.
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Ryguy wrote: -Flat characters. Who was the main character anyway?

Rando Yaguchi. Should change that to amazing characters, best in the franchise, my dude.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Ryguy wrote:Just returned from this film.... I would say that I generally loved it up to the beginning of the third act when I hit a slump.

Positives:

-Godzilla was a skreeonking spectacle, and I am not exaggerating when I say that I enjoyed watching each and every one of his separate forms. I don't give a damn what y'all say about his first form.
-The special and visual effects, while still subpar to the USA's standards, weren't half bad. Some night shots looked gorgeous, actually
-Action sequences. As I previously stated, Godzilla was an absolute sight to behold. If you're looking for an unstoppable force, this is where you will find it. The nighttime penultimate sequence where he lay waste to the city? Marvelous scene, and quite a tearjerker if I must say so myself.
-Music, at least partly. Some of the tracks were amazing, though I did not care for the unnecessary oversaturation of retro music.

Negatives:

-Too. Much. Governmental. Shit. Did I stutter? The third act prior to the climax was the worst offender of this. This is where I hit a slump after the fantastic second act.
-Climax was curtailed too quickly, and it blows too because it was otherwise a very intriguing sequence of events.

You're one of many people who thought the characters were flat. Don't let these other guys make you think you're crazy.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Underworld54 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:Just returned from this film.... I would say that I generally loved it up to the beginning of the third act when I hit a slump.

Positives:

-Godzilla was a skreeonking spectacle, and I am not exaggerating when I say that I enjoyed watching each and every one of his separate forms. I don't give a damn what y'all say about his first form.

Negatives:

You're one of many people who thought the characters were flat. Don't let these other guys make you think you're crazy.
Aaaaand you're telling him this because you saw the movie, right?
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yaguchi definitely had depth and so did Ishihara's character. The characters in this movie were the best since VS Biollante. GMK comes close though.
M.U.T.O. wrote: Aaaaand you're telling him this because you saw the movie, right?
lmao for real.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

M.U.T.O. wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:

Positives:

Negatives:

Like I said, I've read that many people feel the same way. How does that devalue my comment?

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

Underworld54 wrote:
M.U.T.O. wrote:
Underworld54 wrote: You're one of many people who thought the characters were flat. Don't let these other guys make you think you're crazy.
Like I said, I've read that many people feel the same way. How does that devalue my comment?
I'm just saying, it'd be better to have your own opinion on the matter rather than cherrypicked reviews.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

M.U.T.O. wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
M.U.T.O. wrote: Aaaaand you're telling him this because you saw the movie, right?
I'm just saying, it'd be better to have your own opinion on the matter rather than cherrypicked reviews.
I was just telling him that he wasn't alone as I knew the brigade was going to come along and try to alter his opinion.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Underworld54 wrote:
M.U.T.O. wrote:
Underworld54 wrote: You're one of many people who thought the characters were flat. Don't let these other guys make you think you're crazy.
Come on Underworld give this movie a chance you'll like it better than G14. I'm wondering if you have preferred that the franchise had remained inactive. :lol:
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Godzilla2000Zero wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
Come on Underworld give this movie a chance you'll like it better than G14. I'm wondering if you have preferred that the franchise had remained inactive. :lol:
I'm going to see it don't worry, eventually.

Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Post by Ryguy »

Damn, the comment thread that I started....
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

The film was just okay to me.

Pros:
#Good cinematography.

#Decent human cast. I didn't think they were absolutely spectacular, but decent.

#The approach to fight Godzilla was kinda interesting.

#The new soundtrack was good.

Cons:
#The pacing slowing down towards the end.

#The older music sounded really out of place.

#The tadpole scene

#I felt they really shouldn't have had the "multiplying itself to take over the world deal".

#Godzilla's portrayal in general was just...bleh.

All in all, It was an okay film to me. I didn't find it to be awe-inspiring or and wasn't really wowed by anything. I felt that Godzilla was honestly the biggest disappointment in the film to me and is my least favorite incarnation of him.

A decent film, but I personally wouldn't claim that it's one of the best. I felt that it was kinda overrated.