Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (May 2019)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (May 2019)

Post by Zarm »

Okay, I have to say- I'm a little embrassaed to admit it, but... this had me geeking out to a level approaching fangirl-squee. Especially when we saw the angry-looking Jiggylpuff with the marker. Ah, memories... and the childhood pet I always wished I could have.

Seeing Pokemon in live action is a great concept; trying to fully realize that wacky world and integrate it with out own will be a tonal challenge, but one I'm looking forward to seeing them tackle. The idea of someone who can understand the Pokemon language (for some reason) is a good premise... and the choice to focus mostly on the more iconic original 150 is a wise one. (Plus, I don't carry about any that were introduced post 251, so it plays to my biases. ;) ). Add to that what appears to be a generous helping of Psyduck and a fun take on Mr. Mime...

I am way more excited about this than I feel I should be. :) Heaven forbid, a non-MCU movie that actually looks... fun? ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

^honestly, im kind of excited too. I don’t super want to be, but I am. Just the opening notes of the theme song had me so pumped - I hope there’s a full, triumphant orchestrated version in the movie, it would be pretty disappointing honestly if there wasn’t.

Man I’m such a basic nerd... “gimme the music or its garbage”... :lol:

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I think a big reason why I'm excited for this is because for years I've had myself convinced that when somebody finally makes a live action Pokemon film, they would try to make the Pokemon look "real", it would be devoid of the lighthearted fun that's always been apart of the franchise, and it would be a movie that's just begging the audience to take it seriously. I was afraid they would try to take the excitement out of Pokemon. I can't even explain how happy I am that that's not what we're getting. Detective Pikachu looks like it was made by someone with genuine love for the franchise and I couldn't be happier about it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Gotta admit, i'm really digging how faithful are the CGI models to the Pokemons.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

When I first heard of this movie, I was like, "Seriously?" But after seeing the first preview, I have to admit that it looks pretty good...

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MandaSaurus wrote:When I first heard of this movie, I was like, "Seriously?" But after seeing the first preview, I have to admit that it looks pretty good...
This is literally the same boat I'm in. I had the same reaction to it's announcement, but damn if that trailer didn't get me completely interested. It's so cool seeing a live action Pokemon film coming, and I'm actually pretty excited for this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I was never into Pokemon, so I really have no idea what any of this is, but I had heard of this film in passing for some time. It sounded utterly insipid; stupid beyond all reason; an idiotic waste of every conceivable resource.

Having seen the trailer, and still having no idea what any of this is, it actually looks pretty fun and funny. I'm genuinely curious about this film and may see it. At the moment at least, I'm pleasantly surprised and happy to appear to have be wrong.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Just watched the trailer. I'm sorry, but I don't get the new hype. Hearing deadpool's voice out of pikachu is dumb and annoying. Also, I'm not fond of the buddy cop feel they are going for this movie. I like that the pokemon are accurate to the show, but that's it.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

darthzilla99 wrote:Just watched the trailer. I'm sorry, but I don't get the new hype. Hearing deadpool's voice out of pikachu is dumb and annoying. Also, I'm not fond of the buddy cop feel they are going for this movie. I like that the pokemon are accurate to the show, but that's it.
I think a lot of the hype is coming from people expecting something a lot different, and seeing accurate live action Pokemon. That's just what I've been seeing on my social circles, and what I myself have experienced.

Also, Ryan Reynolds is perfect as Deadpool, but he's more than just Deadpool.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

5 minutes ago, I couldn't have cared less.

Now after seeing this...I want. I want alot.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:5 minutes ago, I couldn't have cared less.

Now after seeing this...I want. I want alot.
Agreed. I thought it sounded stupid until I saw that.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

When I first heard of it I thought it was dumb as hell, wasn't a fan of the games, tv show yadda yadda the love action looks surprisingly fun BUT I HATE Ryan Renold's voice for Pikachu.... That is a total misfire everything is okay though.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I'd like to apolgize to the art team for this film. The new Pokemon are fine. They're a little bit odd, but they're still good representations.
Mostly because I've been reminded how much worse it could be
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That could definitely be fun.

And the article certainly doesn't know what it's talking about, in regards to lack of a storyline. There's a conflict with the rival, quest to defeat all eight gym leaders (one of whom is evil, if following along with the expanded canon of the anime, and another of which is posessed or somethinh) as well as several other ongoing plots that could be woven in alongside the fight with Team Rocket. Sure, it's not the strongest narrative in the world, but the narrative elements aren't completely absent.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The problem is that while the games do have something of a story, it's difficult to properly translate into a film format.

The last adaption of the R/B/G games, Pokemon Origins, skipped over a lot of story elements (particularly Gym leaders) and that was a multi-part animated series.

It'll be interesting to see where they take it, to say the least.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I’d still be down. Especially if they fully orchestrate all of the classic music.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

UltramanGoji wrote:The problem is that while the games do have something of a story, it's difficult to properly translate into a film format.

The last adaption of the R/B/G games, Pokemon Origins, skipped over a lot of story elements (particularly Gym leaders) and that was a multi-part animated series.

It'll be interesting to see where they take it, to say the least.
Oh, I don't disagree that it is difficult to translate. I just took umbrage with the article seeming to suggest that there was no story there in the first place. But, like most travelog-format media, I'm sure it will require a heavy adaptation to get something filmic.

Maranatha!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I would love an adaptation of Generation 1. If it happens, and it's good, it would be one of my dream films finally realized.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Oooo please be good, please be good.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa: