Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (May 2019)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (May 2019)

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Any Mewtwo rumors floating around?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Only if you buy a 150 movie tickets, then surf in the nearest body of water to your theater...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Zarm wrote:Only if you buy a 150 movie tickets, then surf in the nearest body of water to your theater...
considering my nearest body of water is just gonna take me out to open sea..... yeah no, i'm going on foot. :)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Trailer #2!

HOLY S***!
Spoiler:
MEWTWO!!!
:D :D :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Trailer continues to make me excited to see this and actually hope it’s good. More Pokémon, more good gags. The Mr anime thing at the end had me in stitches. I do also like how some of the Pokémon look intentionally creepy.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Pretty hyped for this, wonder if Mewtwo is going to end up being the big bad of the film

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzillian wrote:Pretty hyped for this, wonder if Mewtwo is going to end up being the big bad of the film
Based on some shots, I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole mystery uncovered is genetic engineering of pokemon leading to the creation of Mewtwo. It would explain the brief science labs we see, and the Pokémon in cages.

It’s also possible Detective Pikachu is Tims Dad, and the whole thing is a callback to that random machine Bill uses.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Freakinnnnnn MEWTWO man! Super happy to see him :D
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

This looks so good I'm even willing to overlook the Pokemon saying their names. Sounds like some of them will at least. And I'm not a fan of that. Prefer regular cries and roars. But, man this looks like a good time. PLEASE let us get those Red and Blue movies.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I seriously can't wait for this. It looks like so much fun.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I know it doesn't mean shit because I'm just spreading second-hand knowledge but a friend of mine that I really trust heard this was "fucking great and had tons of heart." I'm gonna end up eating crow once an old post of mine where I say this is gonna suck or something gets quoted but that early word and trailers really do inspire confidence.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:This looks so good I'm even willing to overlook the Pokemon saying their names. Sounds like some of them will at least. And I'm not a fan of that. Prefer regular cries and roars. But, man this looks like a good time. PLEASE let us get those Red and Blue movies.
I think they made a smart choice by choosing a relatively original story, rather then base it on red, blue or any of the games. Let’s face it; a lot of the Pokémon games have lame generic stories, or at least ones that wouldn’t work well as an adaptation. The fact that they went the route of having a genuine story, in a world with Pokémon, makes it look a lot better.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

LSD Jellyfish wrote: I think they made a smart choice by choosing a relatively original story, rather then base it on red, blue or any of the games. Let’s face it; a lot of the Pokémon games have lame generic stories, or at least ones that wouldn’t work well as an adaptation. The fact that they went the route of having a genuine story, in a world with Pokémon, makes it look a lot better.

I don't know that I agree. The stories are simple. But I wouldn't really say generic. And there's a lot of room for interpretation while still nailing the essence of the games. Red taking down Team Rocket and struggling to compete with Blue would make for some really cool moments. The basic premise is there. And as opposed to things being removed, as in many adaptations, the games lend themselves to having things added if adapted to the screen.

Besides, there was a rumor that, if this movie does well, we will get a Gen 1 adaptation down the line. I would love that.

Bear in mind, I'm definitely not knocking the fact that they went with an original story with this movie. Far from it. It's just a Gen 1 Pokemon movie has been a dream of mine since I was but a wee lad. lol

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

If Mewtwo is the big bad, then how in the world are they going to beat him?! Because other then trying to find Lugia and have him fight Mewtwo, I can't think of how he can lose.

That being said, I can see Mewtwo being the unlikely hero that saves the day and beats the crap out of the stupid villain that makes him mad.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:If Mewtwo is the big bad, then how in the world are they going to beat him?! Because other then trying to find Lugia and have him fight Mewtwo, I can't think of how he can lose.

That being said, I can see Mewtwo being the unlikely hero that saves the day and beats the crap out of the stupid villain that makes him mad.
I can see that

I know Mewtwo was in the Decteive Pikachu game but I can't remember what kind of role he had.

RIP Evan.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

This looks so frickin AWESOME.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Rhedosaurus wrote:If Mewtwo is the big bad, then how in the world are they going to beat him?! Because other then trying to find Lugia and have him fight Mewtwo, I can't think of how he can lose.

I mean, when I was a kid I beat Mewtwo with a Pikachu. So, it's not like it's an impossible task.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Because plot.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:

I mean, when I was a kid I beat Mewtwo with a Pikachu. So, it's not like it's an impossible task.
Except that this movie seems to be based more on the TV show/movies. Mewtwo was HIGHLY overpowered in those. (And most likely still is.)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This isn’t based on any of the shows or movies. It’s baded off of a video game.

And regardless, Pokémon have type weaknesses, no matter what. Mewtwo isn’t invincible.