Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (May 2019)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Re: Legendary Pictures' Detective Pikachu (May 2019)

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Except that this movie seems to be based more on the TV show/movies. Mewtwo was HIGHLY overpowered in those. (And most likely still is.)

No, it's definitely more based on the games. Both the Detective Pikachu game, and the general world of the main games.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:This isn’t based on any of the shows or movies. It’s baded off of a video game.

And regardless, Pokémon have type weaknesses, no matter what. Mewtwo isn’t invincible.
Yeah sure, but I doubt they’re going to make the internal mechanics of a movie accurate to BST in game. And sure, while Mewtwo could be defeated by other Pokémon, it’s no slouch, and could easily take down a lot of pokemon. Mewtwo was the OG overpowered nightmare.

Then take a minute to remember that Mewtwo in game plot wise was treated as the strongest Pokémon in the original games.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Right, but to act like Mewtwo is an unstoppable monster is just silly.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well sure, but we also don’t even know how much the movie is based off the games. To give a clear example, we don’t know if Pokémon fighting is even a normal thing in universe. The only scenes we’ve been shown of Pokémon battles, are possibly illegal underground fighting in the cage match, or small posters about some sort of championship. A lot of the adverts show Pokémon working or being integrated into society, like Loudred Amplifiers, Marchamp directing traffic, so there’s a probability that the majority of Pokémon in this universe don’t really fight.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Once again, I just want a Jigglypuff as a pet after seeing this. It's a fun trailer, everything looks great - my only quibble is getting so excited over what is clearly and objectively the least interesting of the Eevee evolutions. ;)

I really can't wait for this movie. Especially with its focus on gen 1 and a little of gen 2, it seems perfectly tailored to fans like me were big into this back in the day, but may not have followed things through into quite so many of their modern iterations.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Zarm wrote:Once again, I just want a Jigglypuff as a pet after seeing this. It's a fun trailer, everything looks great - my only quibble is getting so excited over what is clearly and objectively the least interesting of the Eevee evolutions. ;)

I really can't wait for this movie. Especially with its focus on gen 1 and a little of gen 2, it seems perfectly tailored to fans like me were big into this back in the day, but may not have followed things through into quite so many of their modern iterations.

I'm with you there, man. I think this and KOTM are my most anticipated movies this year.

My only issue is the Pokemon saying their names. Always preferred the sounds from the games. I'm okay with Pikachu doing it, I guess. But I can't get into the others.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I'm with you there, man. I think this and KOTM are my most anticipated movies this year.
For me, it's Godzilla King of the Monsters, Avengers Endgame and then probably this. All of them have been knocking it out of the park in terms of trailers though.
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:My only issue is the Pokemon saying their names. Always preferred the sounds from the games. I'm okay with Pikachu doing it, I guess. But I can't get into the others.
I just wish they updated more of the old sounds for something that doesn't sound like it's coming from a GameBoy. They updated Eevee finally, but most of the others still use the original digitized sounds. Or, in the case of the Smash Bros, they use the Anime approach of having them say their name.

Anyway, moving this topic to the "Shin and Beyond" board. Will update the forum name so it's clear that Toho financed/produced movies from America are fair game for that board... as long as they don't belong in the MonsterVerse thread.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Praise from Jordan Vogt-Roberts for what its worth.

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/ ... 16833?s=19
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Praise from Jordan Vogt-Roberts for what its worth.

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts/status/ ... 16833?s=19

I hope he's right. Pokemon of all things being the first truly good video game movie would be amazing.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

When I heard that they were making this, I scoffed. Then I saw the trailer, and I was like, "well, they look ok." and now I'm gearing up to see this... Good job Legendary.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I was never a big Pokémon fan. I was always bitter at the original show's popularity which pretty much led to all my favorite shows getting ruined or cancelled (Batman, Superman, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Batman Beyond, Freakazoid, and even Godzilla the Series) and all the airtime going to Pokémon and its knockoffs.

I was super bitter about that. And don't even get me started on how Pokémon Go ruined most of my dates for a solid two years as all my dates seemed more interested in playing the game than conversing.

To be honest, I've never really played the games. Most of my knowledge of Pokémon stems from watching the show for 10 minutes and getting ticked off and playing Super Smash Bros and using Pikachu a lot (and beating up on Jigglypuff for kicks).

All of that said, I am actually super interested in seeing Detective Pikachu. It looks silly and delightful. Ryan Reynolds voice helps out with that, but the movie just looks like a really good time. I don't know what that says when a non Pokémon fan is interested in seeing the film, but hey.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Saw this at the press screening last week and had a lot of fun!
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Chris55 wrote:Saw this at the press screening last week and had a lot of fun!
You got to see the whole movie? Awesome, man. Glad to hear you liked it. It's one of my most anticipated movies this year.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Saw this at the press screening last week and had a lot of fun!
You got to see the whole movie? Awesome, man. Glad to hear you liked it. It's one of my most anticipated movies this year.
My embargo lifts tomorrow and I have interviews with the director and Justice Smith on Fri. PM me a question for each if you have any and I'll see if I can squeeze em in. Only got 10 minutes with each.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Chris55 wrote:
My embargo lifts tomorrow and I have interviews with the director and Justice Smith on Fri. PM me a question for each if you have any and I'll see if I can squeeze em in. Only got 10 minutes with each.

Can't wait to see that, Chris! If I can think of a question worth asking I'll PM you tonight or tomorrow.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'm going to an advance screening tonight and I'm really looking forward to it!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Just curious, Lugia, the ocean dragon-bird Pokemon in this movie?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious, Lugia, the ocean dragon-bird Pokemon in this movie?
No.