Shin Gojira Sequel Speculation

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Blue Three
Ronin

Re: Shin-Gojira sequel speculation

Post by Blue Three »

The closest thing to any confirmation of a sequel was a mistranslation at the Godzilla vs Evangelion concert.
That there's going to be a sequel is clear. That's like saying we need a black-on-white confirmation for a next Bond film. Of course there's going to be one. Whether it's going to continue Shin Godzilla's story is another thing, but there's really no reason to assume this isn't gonna be the case. Would be odd if they didn't go that route.
Speaking of which, can somebody show me any proof of the Monster Planet trilogy?
It's (as of now) the latest topic on the official site's news page. Btw, it's not the "Monster Planet" trilogy. "Monster Planet" is the title of the first installment/chapter. Basically, what the site says is that...

At our special event at "AnimeJapan 2017", we revealed new information about the anime trilogy to the public.
Apart from the first chapter "GODZILLA: Monster Planet", there's also going to be a second and third one.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Blue Three wrote:
The closest thing to any confirmation of a sequel was a mistranslation at the Godzilla vs Evangelion concert.
That there's going to be a sequel is clear. That's like saying we need a black-on-white confirmation for a next Bond film. Of course there's going to be one. Whether it's going to continue Shin Godzilla's story is another thing, but there's really no reason to assume this isn't gonna be the case. Would be odd if they didn't go that route.
Speaking of which, can somebody show me any proof of the Monster Planet trilogy?
It's (as of now) the latest topic on the official site's news page. Btw, it's not the "Monster Planet" trilogy. "Monster Planet" is the title of the first installment/chapter. Basically, what the site says is that...

At our special event at "AnimeJapan 2017", we revealed new information about the anime trilogy to the public.
Apart from the first chapter "GODZILLA: Monster Planet", there's also going to be a second and third one.
Alright, than. It's just the way many people phrased it sounded like there was blunt proof Shin Gojira was going to get a sequel. I hadn't really looked into this topic until now. Thanks for showing me the anime site, I had no idea that was updated either. On other news, there was multiple new pictures and deleted scenes revealed from the DVD of Shin. While I don't have the actual photographs and video here, some of the content included was
Spoiler:
a half finished storyboard/CGI product of Shin's third form vomiting acidic blood (ew), as well as a four second scene replacing a shot in the actual film.
There are several videos on YouTube describing this in depth.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah, I think since they have the anime trilogy 'in the bag' as happening, that they are probably more than willing to wait and allow time for Shin Godzilla 2 to be 'just right'. No sequel has been officially confirmed for the record. But when you consider the huge financial and critical success of the film....you have to think that Toho gives the sequel a 'definite yes'. Failing all else they can greenlight it with an entirely new team.

But I think ideally, they want Anno and Higuchi back, they want the same team behind the huge success of the first to be back. So if they must wait a few years for the time to be right, so be it.

I'd love to see the anime films come in November 2017, November 2018, and November 2019(The 65 year anniversary of the character). Shin Godzilla 2 in 2021, and lord willing, Shin Godzilla 3 for the 70 year anniversary in 2024.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Still my stupid little fan theory here but I would find a way to keep Shin away till 2024 and then let him fight Legendary Goji. 70th anniversary film and the 10th legendary anniversary.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

miguelnuva wrote:Still my stupid little fan theory here but I would find a way to keep Shin away till 2024 and then let him fight Legendary Goji. 70th anniversary film and the 10th legendary anniversary.
That's a pretty good theory. Not sure if they'll make Legendary fight Shin, but maybe they'll do a movie that includes every kaiju from the Monsterverse. Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Kong, King Ghidorah, and possbly more. They will 100% do something for the 70th anniversary.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Blue Three wrote:
It's not at all clear that there's going to be a sequel. It's clear there will be another Godzilla film, but a sequel? (Continuing the story or theme of a previous work) Hardly an open and shut case.

Toho might have to decide whether to pursue a sequel to Shin if it means doing it without Anno, who seems resistant to the idea of another film. Without Anno, there's serious question about who among the original cast would return. Subtract Anno and his idiosyncratic directing as well as potentially key cast members, and you have to start asking whether this will even be the surefire moneymaker it would be with the whole team back on board.

That's not to say they won't do it anyway or that Anno won't change his mind, but it's entirely possible Toho will simply continue on the experimental, unpredictable path they seem to be on since Shin and pursue yet another fresh take on the character.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

BlueGojira wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Still my stupid little fan theory here but I would find a way to keep Shin away till 2024 and then let him fight Legendary Goji. 70th anniversary film and the 10th legendary anniversary.
That's a pretty good theory. Not sure if they'll make Legendary fight Shin, but maybe they'll do a movie that includes every kaiju from the Monsterverse. Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Kong, King Ghidorah, and possbly more. They will 100% do something for the 70th anniversary.
I think it would be amazing to have a full-blown crossover between the Monsterverse, Shin, and the upcoming anime trilogy, with the three universes duking it out.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Jomei wrote:
Blue Three wrote:
It's not at all clear that there's going to be a sequel. It's clear there will be another Godzilla film, but a sequel? (Continuing the story or theme of a previous work) Hardly an open and shut case.

Toho might have to decide whether to pursue a sequel to Shin if it means doing it without Anno, who seems resistant to the idea of another film. Without Anno, there's serious question about who among the original cast would return. Subtract Anno and his idiosyncratic directing as well as potentially key cast members, and you have to start asking whether this will even be the surefire moneymaker it would be with the whole team back on board.

That's not to say they won't do it anyway or that Anno won't change his mind, but it's entirely possible Toho will simply continue on the experimental, unpredictable path they seem to be on since Shin and pursue yet another fresh take on the character.
Thank you, this is exactly what I was trying to communicate. It would be very hard to even come up, let only fully create and direct a sequel. There is obviously many Godzilla films coming out rapidly, but I was specifically talking about Shin Gojira, where trying to even find somebody who wants to make a sequel would be a problem. I think having three anime films, and at the very minium two more Godzilla films within at least four years would be quite enough. A lot of this is just speculation.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Personally, I would enjoy watching a Shin Mothra or Shin Rodan film, in which they comment on some other aspect of Japanese culture, or world events.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I'd love to see Anno tackle Mothra or Hedorah.
either a Anno solo Mothra movie or a Shin vs. Hedorah movie, either or would be great
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Shin Gojira Sequel Speculation

Post by LegendZilla »

If the Anime Godzilla film is to be a trilogy, would Shin Gojira work as such as well?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

LegendZilla wrote:If the Anime Godzilla film is to be a trilogy, would Shin Gojira work as such as well?
It could work. It might take some heavy planing and mapping out a sequence of events, since Godzilla is in a "recovery mode" at the moment and the humanoids are locked in place on his tail. I was in the middle of typing a large "If I did" post, but that's for here. If they did a trilogy, I can see it something like the below with a tad bit of my own idea's thrown in (see last paragraph).

Film 1: Shows Godzilla and his 5th evolution

Film 2: Godzilla revives and his 5th evolution "offspring" sprout from his tail. Results can either be Godzilla dying in "birth" or actually being killed by the nuke from the previous film. <insert AT Field Reference> that the humanoids have that render most weapons useless as they take in the massive amount of radiation and begin to either evolve wings and go to other countries, or have them devour bits of Godzilla and then evolve. Focus of the film will be other countries uniting together and throwing everything they got to counter the new Godzillas while Rando's team (or a successors) work to uncover the motives and weakness of the new Godzilla's, Insert more EVA material.

The plot can be diverse from here and go into pure fan fiction levels.

End the film with humanity finding a way to kill these things. Possible teaser at the end credits show 1 surviving and falling into the "grave" of the first Godzilla which results in the bloody lake left behind beginning to boil as large dorsal plates emerge from boiling water and a very familiar Godzilla roar is heard. You can also just have a surviving one begin this transformation without being in a key place or have 1 being 'left behind" since its birth and it's sole purpose was to "clean up" the bits and pieces of Godzilla and kick starting another evolution.

Film 3: Follow up from the last film, Possibly have a surviving 5th form "revert" or "evolve" back into an update 4th form in order to restart the cycle over again. 4.1, which has all of the benefits of it and none of the draw backs. Forcing humanity to kill him and put him down before he can evolve again or start his 5th evolution stage over again and overrun the world. Insert more EVA material and maybe some old concepts from the first film such as its cellular mitosis reproduction creating more form 4's. -and insert probably a dark "bad" ending.

Shin Godzilla will probably work best without him fighting other monsters. I believe film is more of a Man vs Godzilla and not Godzilla vs X Monsters. There isn't really a broad "follow up formula" that it can follow. You have a few scenarios but the plot between the films is where it can branch into many directions. In terms of him fighting other monsters, the best way to do it would to be have the 5th forms "rebel" against Godzilla or have either Godzilla or his offspring mutate into something else.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

If Toho were to ever successfully remove their heads from their anuses, they would use Shin as the starting point of a new series. But they won't. They'll just make yet another sequel to Gojira and then wonder why even hardcore fans are beginning to realize Americans are the more capable hands when it comes to Godzilla now.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

Mac!
Ronin

Post by Mac! »

I speculate Toho will make all the wrong decisions when it comes to Shin Godzilla 2. First, I can't imagine they do anything but a sequel, given the immense success of the film. They'll desperately try to get Anno back too, but considering all the rumors about problems behind the scenes, that bridge is probably burned. Lastly, the praise of the CGI work on the film will probably embolden them to go further down that path and leave practical effects work behind for good.

It'd be nice if they gave Shinya Tsukamoto his shot. He's been campaigning to make a kaiju film for YEARS (they're just too expensive to make, given that he personally funds his own films). He was even making overtures for a directorial position during his interviews for SHIN GODZILLA: http://natalie.mu/eiga/pp/godzilla2016_04

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I still think Biollante or Hedorah would be great monsters in a Shin Godzilla sequel. Ultimately, they're probably the best in terms of maintain the sort of narrative that began with Shin Godzilla.

However, given the massive success of Shin Godzilla I wonder if Toho could instead make an original monster. It could even be something like Biollante, as in science + Godzilla cells = :g2k:.

I still like the idea of a spin-off within this universe that maybe exists between Shin Godzilla and a sequel. Maybe even a reference or cameo of frozen Shin Godzilla.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Nairbzilla
Samurai

Post by Nairbzilla »

Personally, I'd much rather see a different monster's solo film in Shin Godzilla's style, probably Mothra and/or Rodan. Then perhaps after those two they could try to shift the tone a bit with a new Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster type movie featuring all three monsters new incarnations plus Ghidorah. Or maybe Monster X instead to keep with the evolution/mutation theme. :monsterx:
"A fandom divided against itself cannot stand."

~Abraham Lincoln, if he was a Godzilla fan

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Ideally, here is how I'd want to see the next live action Toho film to go...in order of "Least preferred" to "most preferred"

4. ANOTHER full reboot or "direct sequel to the original" - Yawn yawn yawn, been there, done that 8,000 times. "Returning to the original" had a purpose in 84, to wipe the slate clean and return to the origins of the character stylistically and tonally. In the Millennium series it just became a trope to create a blank slate of style/continuity while still including the original film.

3. A sequel to the Heisei Continuity - SLIGHTLY interesting, simply because it would be a return to my favorite series. I just think that in terms of relevance, the time where this concept would be most viable has passed. They considered making Final Wars a sequel to the Heisei series, and I feel like that was their last true opportunity to do so with success.

2. A new entry in an abbreviated/annotated series - If it were pitched as "This continuity consists of the films from 1954, 1984, 1989 and this new entry"...then that could be interesting. Because then you could start a trend of a continuity that gets revisited every 30 or so years. A new sequel could be interesting, taking place 30 or so years after the end of Biollante...that's interesting.

1. A direct sequel to Shin Godzilla - This is simply the most creatively appealing idea to me. We've FINALLY gotten a Toho relaunch of the character that really seemed to just hit it off, financially and critically. To file it away as a "one off" just feels so wrong. I want them to build off of this momentum and further this story. I want a Godzilla sequel, not another monster film in this world, or some weird spin-off. I want the next Godzilla story that comes after the end of Shin Godzilla.

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

I honestly don't think they would make a sequel. I remember reading somewhere -- I don't recall where -- that Higuchi said it would do away with the magic by making such a sequel. Something like that.
I'll hafta do some digging.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know a lot of you would love to see Gamera incorporated into the Monsterverse, but frankly I think it would be better suited for Japan to produce a hypothetical Godzilla Vs Gamera film than Hollywood.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I think the monsters that most fit this iteration of Godzilla(ultimately, a shape shifter with several stages of existence) would be, in no particular order

Biollante
Destoroyah
Hedorah

Because they have that same 'shape-shifting', multiple stages style to them. Of course, Godzilla never traditionally had that, so they could transpose a 'Shin' life-cycle onto any classic Kaiju.

But certainly the monsters that would most easily lend themselves to such a style would be those that are ALREADY executed in that style.