Shin Gojira Sequel Speculation

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shin Gojira Sequel Speculation

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

M.U.T.O. wrote:I honestly don't think they would make a sequel. I remember reading somewhere -- I don't recall where -- that Higuchi said it would do away with the magic by making such a sequel. Something like that.
I'll hafta do some digging.
I don't think it was Higuchi but rather Anno, which makes complete sense.

I actually think by being amazing (I can say objectively because even if you don't like the film there's no doubt Shin G has some of the best sales, reception and awards in the series) Toho dug themselves into a deep dark hole, regardless of whether Anno wants to return.If Toho makes a sequel, it'll be held to by the standards of Shin Gojira, it can't be something like Godzilla 2000, a film that is good but at the end of the day just a movie about monsters fighting. At the same time Shin G was massively successful financially, so Toho should want to milk their Godzilla baby. If they reboot the series again, and make the next Godzilla live action film unrelated to Shin G it'll lose a lot of the value Shin G just gave the franchise, and destroy any momentum. Keep in mind the term live action. I'm of the belief the Godzilla Monster Planet project is a was to covertly capitalize off of Shin G without disappointing people who want a Shin G sequel. My guess is that Toho is already working on a follow up, but not interested in rushing it out.

Keep in mind Shin G had a budget of 10 million, and made like nearly 80 million, and probably more off all the toys and upcoming home releases. Should their be a sequel expect the budget to be bigger, maybe even like 20 million. If there's a sequel expect it to be bigger and better.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I just can't see them not doing a follow up. Let Anno finish up Evangelion.. let him take a break, then jump back into Shin Godzilla 2. Which just happens to be 2021 or 2022 after GvsKong and these anime films.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Biollante_lover
Ronin

Post by Biollante_lover »

Am I the only one that doesn't want a sequel? I love how open-ended and thought provoking the ending was.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

You are not the only one.
I want another film, but not a direct sequel to Shin Godzilla.
I want to see a film turned over to another filmmaker, give them the same freedom Anno had, and see what they do.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Make me the third one. I think Shin Gojira works perfectly as a single film, it's an awesome movie and deserves to stay the way it is, with the open-ending and everything.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

Shin Godzilla's ending is rather unique, but I'm not sure yet if I want a direct sequel or not.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

I don't think I want Shin Godzilla to get a sequel. Obviously I want Toho to make more movies, we all do, but I think Shin Godzilla should stand on it's own. That being said, I wouldn't be too irked if they announced a direct follow-up, a "Shin Godzilla 2" so to speak. While I'd prefer if they left it on it's own, I'd be mostly ok with it if they decided to do a sequel. That being said, given how it ended, I'm not sure what they could really do.
LONG LIVE THE KING

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

I used to want a sequel, but now I don't want one.

However, there's certainly good reason to make a sequel. It was the highest grossing Japanese film of 2016, and the highest grossing Japanese Godzilla film of all time, so Toho would be insane not to capitalise on that.

If they do go the sequel route, I imagine that they'll explain that Yashiori killed the humanoids on Godzilla's tail, and his next evolution, which makes him better able to fight other monsters, is his last.

Or, they could stay true to what I think the idea behind Shin Godzilla was, and have the form 5s come to life, and Godzilla evolves completely into them. Godzilla ultimately destroys the Human race as he continues evolving. And, according to The Nikkei Science and Shin Godzilla Generation, those evolutions include:

- Self-division without limits to eventually cover the whole of Earth. Divided forms may shrink in size.

- Immortality.

- Self-generation of a completed form from a tiniest fragment of the body.

- Overcoming requirements of air and water to survive. Will achieve self energy productions.

- Degeneration of the mouth and teeth. Will eventually lose these organs, allowing Godzilla to be immune to the Yashiori Plan.

- Achieving limitless nuclear fusions and overcome energy problems.

- Acquire flight ability and will eventually invade outer space and reach other planets.

- Adapt to harsh environments of those planets.

- Lose algesia (sensitivity to pain) and emotions.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Cybermat47 wrote:I used to want a sequel, but now I don't want one.

However, there's certainly good reason to make a sequel. It was the highest grossing Japanese film of 2016, and the highest grossing Japanese Godzilla film of all time, so Toho would be insane not to capitalise on that.

If they do go the sequel route, I imagine that they'll explain that Yashiori killed the humanoids on Godzilla's tail, and his next evolution, which makes him better able to fight other monsters, is his last.

Or, they could stay true to what I think the idea behind Shin Godzilla was, and have the form 5s come to life, and Godzilla evolves completely into them. Godzilla ultimately destroys the Human race as he continues evolving. And, according to The Nikkei Science and Shin Godzilla Generation, those evolutions include:

- Self-division without limits to eventually cover the whole of Earth. Divided forms may shrink in size.

- Immortality.

- Self-generation of a completed form from a tiniest fragment of the body.

- Overcoming requirements of air and water to survive. Will achieve self energy productions.

- Degeneration of the mouth and teeth. Will eventually lose these organs, allowing Godzilla to be immune to the Yashiori Plan.

- Achieving limitless nuclear fusions and overcome energy problems.

- Acquire flight ability and will eventually invade outer space and reach other planets.

- Adapt to harsh environments of those planets.

- Lose algesia (sensitivity to pain) and emotions.
Basically: Godzilla becomes a tartigrade. :lol:
Those are actually dang cool powers, they could make an incredibly dark film.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I could see them doing a prequel and a sequel. Kayoko said something like "This Godzilla is unlike anything I've ever seen!" when the government was studying Forms 2 and 3. It sounds like she has seen another Godzilla attack a city. Toho could do a prequel about that with Kayoko was the main character.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaijunator wrote:I could see them doing a prequel and a sequel. Kayoko said something like "This Godzilla is unlike anything I've ever seen!" when the government was studying Forms 2 and 3. It sounds like she has seen another Godzilla attack a city. Toho could do a prequel about that with Kayoko was the main character.
Then you run the risk of my theory where Shin is a creature that saw Godzilla and decided it wanted to be him.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kaijunator wrote:I could see them doing a prequel and a sequel. Kayoko said something like "This Godzilla is unlike anything I've ever seen!" when the government was studying Forms 2 and 3. It sounds like she has seen another Godzilla attack a city. Toho could do a prequel about that with Kayoko was the main character.
It would be cool, but in Shin Godzilla it is the first time anyone has seen a giant monster. (Im talking about the general public and government)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
It would be cool, but in Shin Godzilla it is the first time anyone has seen a giant monster. (Im talking about the general public and government)
Then why would she say "this Godzilla"? Maybe she saw another Godzilla under the ocean and it made landfall? Obviously she would've been ordered to keep quiet about it.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kaijunator wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Then why would she say "this Godzilla"? Maybe she saw another Godzilla under the ocean and it made landfall? Obviously she would've been ordered to keep quiet about it.
True. I'll have to watch it again to see, for it is strange............
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Anno could troll us and do a prequel based on Goro Maki

Added in 4 minutes 43 seconds:
Kaijunator wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Lol, no
She doesn't mean "This Godzilla", she means This "Godzilla". Meaning, " this monster is unlike anything I've ever seen!!!1"
Wow. This fandom sometimes lol
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Our speculation can get... vivid.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

PRIMEVAL wrote:Our speculation can get... vivid.
If by vivid you mean Reaching and misunderstanding, yeah, it suuure is vivid
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
PRIMEVAL wrote:Our speculation can get... vivid.
If by vivid you mean Reaching and misunderstanding, yeah, it suuure is vivid
Sorta hinting at a vivid imagination, but yeah, basically.

HerryGrail
Yojimbo

Post by HerryGrail »

In Shin’s hyper-realistic universe, which to me is one of its greatest strengths, a sequel is tricky. Typical Godzilla ideas like “here comes a space monster” just wouldn’t work. I don’t need a sequel, but I understand that commercially (and historically) it’s inevitable, and artistically it’s very intriguing.

There’s no way you could approach it without addressing the sequel bait of the first one: the unresolved Goro Maki story (and “clunk” when his name was mentioned near the end); the tail figures; “the countdown begins again when he wakes up”; “we have to learn to live with Godzilla”; “it’s not over yet.”

You also have very appealing characters whose ambition was a big driver of the original plot, so you have to presume their own evolution in this new world would be explored in any kind of sequel.

I’m not a big fan of the little creatures breaking away and becoming a mass nuisance. It’s not “Godzilla” to me, not that I couldn’t be persuaded otherwise.

In my little head, I wonder literally, “what would they do next?” I imagine they would carefully vivisect him and put the pieces in a vault, or destroy them somehow. They’d find the tail figures, which instead of wreaking havoc would prompt a resolution to the “what did Goro Maki really do” issue. Unfortunately though, that’s the end of Godzilla. Then what?

Instead, what if the frozen Godzilla, who could be frozen because of his own bizarre biological qualities, somehow evolved while frozen to be better-adapted to the Earth’s environment, not needing to cool himself, sleep off his rampages, etc. We get the next evolution, with arms that are functional, teeth that can eat (remember his unusable teeth were referenced)—in other words, Shin Godzilla as a slightly more traditional design that retains his cool look overall. Maybe bigger eyes that are more functional, more limber...a nuclear "man in a suit."

Shin was growing arms and teeth, so why wouldn’t he be evolving into a final form in which features like that are fully-functional? Maybe more thoughtful too...remember that “we can’t communicate with him”...maybe now we can on some level? He evolves to fight humans by thinking like them, aided by Goro Maki’s antics.

It would be a different sort of threat, more able to evade man, harder to nuke because he could get to new places before they were evacuated. Then take it from there.

Of course that leaves out the tail figures, because I want to. Maybe they are re-absorbed to give him more human qualities, both physical (like arms and working teeth) and perhaps mental, at least more of a “thinking” creature. They tried to escape but didn’t make it—now they become his human qualities in the new form.

It seems like the design and some verbal clues from the first movie suggest a more traditional Godzilla in a future film. If they can have him basically bust out of the frozen one, so much the better. You’d have your main characters engaged in a different way, and the narrative would leave the bureaucracy, which is more or less gone now, and you’d have a “thoughtful” action flick with bigger-budget CGI but interesting, highly-involved characters.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Sequel Wishlist/Speculation

Post by KaijuCanuck »

What do you want to see in a sequel, and/or what do you think you WILL see?

Nor sure if this is what I want or not, but I think this series will move in the same basic arc of Showa and Heisei where Godzilla starts off as a villain then becomes more sympathetic. Of course we know Godzilla became a hero in the showa series, but I would argue the same happens in the Heisei. I mean, I guess his actual character doesn't change much, but at about GvMG2 the films suddenly pivot to make Godzilla the one you root for (and the one who ultimately wins battles).

I think they'll do this the same way they always have... a second Godzilla who becomes the main Godzilla.