Shin Gojira Sequel Speculation

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cookson
Futurian

Re: Shin-Gojira sequel speculation

Post by Cookson »

Akula93 wrote:Anno is a perfect fit for MechaGodzilla. I could easily see him making MechaGodzilla a hybrid of Godzilla flesh and metal like the Eva Units. But I think he has the last animated Evangelion film to finish, so him doing another G film in the near future seems unlikely.
New director if he wants to do Eva 4. Toho waiting till 2021 or 2022 wouldn't make sense considering Shin-Godzillas success.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I'd personally give anything to see Anno tackle Mothra, Matango, and Dogora. And if he did an Atragon anime… that'd be a m a z i n g.
An Anno Mothra would be the best, and Matango would be grotesque
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

I don't see any mecha making it to sequels to this film (at least according to the first film). Right now it's grounded pretty firmly in reality. Yes, Godzilla himself is a giant creature that could never exist but he never does anything that you would take as implausible within the bounds that are given to us. To create a mecha of such a size and ability to take on this creature just isn't possible within the scope of this film. It would be interesting to see what other creatures could come about this, however, and a better direction. That said, if at all possible I think Anno should be the director to helm this---at least for the first sequel to this series if there are more. It could very easily go south with someone who doesn't quite understand the vision of this universe.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

BioDestroyer wrote:I don't see any mecha making it to sequels to this film (at least according to the first film). Right now it's grounded pretty firmly in reality. Yes, Godzilla himself is a giant creature that could never exist but he never does anything that you would take as implausible within the bounds that are given to us. To create a mecha of such a size and ability to take on this creature just isn't possible within the scope of this film. It would be interesting to see what other creatures could come about this, however, and a better direction. That said, if at all possible I think Anno should be the director to helm this---at least for the first sequel to this series if there are more. It could very easily go south with someone who doesn't quite understand the vision of this universe.
Mechas don't fit in this movie's universe, yet a version of Godzilla which fires nuclear breath from not just his mouth, but every fucking part of his body is just fine.

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

Spoiler:
LegendZilla wrote:
BioDestroyer wrote:I don't see any mecha making it to sequels to this film (at least according to the first film). Right now it's grounded pretty firmly in reality. Yes, Godzilla himself is a giant creature that could never exist but he never does anything that you would take as implausible within the bounds that are given to us. To create a mecha of such a size and ability to take on this creature just isn't possible within the scope of this film. It would be interesting to see what other creatures could come about this, however, and a better direction. That said, if at all possible I think Anno should be the director to helm this---at least for the first sequel to this series if there are more. It could very easily go south with someone who doesn't quite understand the vision of this universe.
Mechas don't fit in this movie's universe, yet a version of Godzilla which fires nuclear breath from not just his mouth, but every skreeonking part of his body is just fine.
"Within the scope of this film" is a key phrase here. I'd explain further but I'm not sure how spoilers are being handled in this particular thread so...I'll just spoiler tag my response. Be warned, the spoilers below include parts of the ending as well as writing that discusses bits of the film in a bit of detail.
Spoiler:
So yeah, what I mean is that within this film Godzilla is a strange creature mutated by nuclear waste and works on some very interesting principles---he's basically a nuclear reactor, his cells are incredibly robust, it has an extraordinary sense of its surrounding that can somewhat be measured and the way it attacks is incredible, yes, but also still grounded in its nuclear basis and the narrative of the creature. It's Godzilla that's the aberration, not the world at large. In other words, him having such abilities doesn't clash with the film or the world that he's in at all. Additionally, he's defeated not by some sort of super weapon, but by ingenuity the capabilities of human intelligence. That's an incredibly important part of Japan's victory over him.

For Japan or anyone else to suddenly throw together a giant mech would make absolutely no sense in the slightest within the context the universe that the movie has set up. Japan has the right to a Self Defense Force but they rely heavily on the U.S. for protection and its bigger guns. Militarily, the options were pretty much exhausted save atomic weaponry and other extremely high yield explosives and even with that it's not certain it will work and the international community as a whole was watching the situation closely and had disputes on the proper course and time frame. No country today has the technology, know how, or ability to create a 350+ ft robot that can actually work and have weaponry that'd be able to fight such a creature as Godzilla. We're just now getting robots that can stand on two legs, much less building sized automatons.

Therefore, as it is now I see no possible way for there to be daikaiju sized mecha, such as a Mechagodzilla, to be in a sequel. That's not to say that there won't be some sort of change through time, but for what we have in the first film it's simply out of its scope.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

LegendZilla wrote: Mechas don't fit in this movie's universe, yet a version of Godzilla which fires nuclear breath from not just his mouth, but every fucking part of his body is just fine.
This is why I support a sequel where Godzilla fights an army a large pink elephants made from clouds of marijuana. Anno on drugs would take us in even fucking crazier directions.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

BioDestroyer wrote:
Spoiler:
LegendZilla wrote:
Mechas don't fit in this movie's universe, yet a version of Godzilla which fires nuclear breath from not just his mouth, but every skreeonking part of his body is just fine.
"Within the scope of this film" is a key phrase here. I'd explain further but I'm not sure how spoilers are being handled in this particular thread so...I'll just spoiler tag my response. Be warned, the spoilers below include parts of the ending as well as writing that discusses bits of the film in a bit of detail.
Spoiler:
So yeah, what I mean is that within this film Godzilla is a strange creature mutated by nuclear waste and works on some very interesting principles---he's basically a nuclear reactor, his cells are incredibly robust, it has an extraordinary sense of its surrounding that can somewhat be measured and the way it attacks is incredible, yes, but also still grounded in its nuclear basis and the narrative of the creature. It's Godzilla that's the aberration, not the world at large. In other words, him having such abilities doesn't clash with the film or the world that he's in at all. Additionally, he's defeated not by some sort of super weapon, but by ingenuity the capabilities of human intelligence. That's an incredibly important part of Japan's victory over him.

For Japan or anyone else to suddenly throw together a giant mech would make absolutely no sense in the slightest within the context the universe that the movie has set up. Japan has the right to a Self Defense Force but they rely heavily on the U.S. for protection and its bigger guns. Militarily, the options were pretty much exhausted save atomic weaponry and other extremely high yield explosives and even with that it's not certain it will work and the international community as a whole was watching the situation closely and had disputes on the proper course and time frame. No country today has the technology, know how, or ability to create a 350+ ft robot that can actually work and have weaponry that'd be able to fight such a creature as Godzilla. We're just now getting robots that can stand on two legs, much less building sized automatons.

Therefore, as it is now I see no possible way for there to be daikaiju sized mecha, such as a Mechagodzilla, to be in a sequel. That's not to say that there won't be some sort of change through time, but for what we have in the first film it's simply out of its scope.
Then I guess it would not be out of scope for Godzilla to suddenly use his nuclear energy to suddenly have the ability to propel himself in the air (i.e fly)

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

EDIT: I take that back. Obviously you're alluding to a Hedorah situation but within the film it wouldn't work like that at all. If, however, it evolved to a point where it grew wings or something like that then sure. But I highly doubt something like that for Godzilla himself.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Toho has been super quiet the last week. It's making me wonder if that got a big announcement coming soon.

Added in 5 hours 29 minutes 4 seconds:
With the anime announcement, do you think a Shin-Godzilla sequel will still happen? Theoretically they could still get a sequel out for 2018.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

What I can guess is that there can be two scenarios essentially:

1. Godzilla awakens a week and a half later and from his body a 5th form (Godzilla perfect-Shodai/Heisei hybrid)is freed, who engages the military and escapes into the ocean-power set is the same, but he's only 70 meters tall). Weeks go by and Godzilla is nowhere to be seen, but the subway systems in Tokyo and surrounding area has a string of missing people. When investigated, a creature resembling a red, finned lizard with an elongated tongue appears. It has been eating people, but in its wake it leaves a red ooze. It escapes underground and in its wake, a smaller Godzilla-like humanoid creature with strange limbs is seen. Its injured in a struggle and reveals its ability to alter its shape.
Days later, Godzilla appears and engages the military, using his purple blast and attacks a nuclear plant. A military strike of combined American and Japanese forces engage him and not only does Godzilla grow to his previous form's size, but unleashes the blue nuclear beam (it's like his spiral ray), before returning to the sea.

Tests on Godzilla and the two other creatures yields interesting information.
Godzilla seems to have more control over his nuclear energy and doesn't need to return to the ocean, also he is more efficient with is own bodily energy. It looks like this creature is not a true hybrid. The theory is possibly Godzilla maybe a creature that was absorbed into the amalgamation of sea creatures and its own cells and DNA highjacked the process. These other two creatures seem to be a parasite that possibly was the original organism that absorbed Godzilla and Godzilla's genetics overpowered it. The skeletons on Godzilla's tail were it trying to get away.

Later on this creature shows back up in an amorphous, decaying organic mass called Deathla(yes you got it). Various navies combine to battle Godzilla at sea in a massive failure. Godzilla hits land and battles Deathla till a nuke is launched and both creatures disappear in the explosion. The end involves the governments one year later, still cleaning up the mess, but a flash to the North Pole where an American nuclear sub called the Sea Hawk has just gone down missing.

2. Its just Godzilla's body trying to clone itself. Just very strange neonatal growth. Godzilla returns and his tail grows into another hybrid sea kaiju-Dagarah. I dunno how i'd do that, but oh well.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I actually like the idea that Shin Gojira would be parent to a new more traditional Godzilla as well as an enemy kaiju.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Cookson wrote:With the anime announcement, do you think a Shin-Godzilla sequel will still happen? Theoretically they could still get a sequel out for 2018.
I think so. It doesn't seem like the Anime was a reaction to the success of Shin Godzilla so starting a new live action film now so we get a Godzilla film every year from now until 2020 with both American and Japanese productions is a possibility. It's just when they announce that a new film is being made could be a while.

DaikaijuGojira1954
GPN Volunteer

Post by DaikaijuGojira1954 »

I think it would be possible to have live action and anime movies come out in alternating years or even the same year since I don't think Toho is really that involved in the creation of the animated film.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

B34sT wrote:
Cookson wrote:With the anime announcement, do you think a Shin-Godzilla sequel will still happen? Theoretically they could still get a sequel out for 2018.
I think so. It doesn't seem like the Anime was a reaction to the success of Shin Godzilla so starting a new live action film now so we get a Godzilla film every year from now until 2020 with both American and Japanese productions is a possibility. It's just when they announce that a new film is being made could be a while.
I doubt Toho will want to step on Legendary's toes. Assuming that plans remain in place, Godzilla 2 is coming on March 22, 2019, and Godzilla vs. Kong on May 29, 2020. Multiple films in the same year would potentially tire people. We don't want a repeat of the Millennium series where audiences got tired of the yearly Godzilla films.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Showa Gyaos wrote:
B34sT wrote:
I doubt Toho will want to step on Legendary's toes. Assuming that plans remain in place, Godzilla 2 is coming on March 22, 2019, and Godzilla vs. Kong on May 29, 2020. Multiple films in the same year would potentially tire people. We don't want a repeat of the Millennium series where audiences got tired of the yearly Godzilla films.
No one said anything about Toho releasing movies the same year as the LP films! Just talking about the possibility of a Shin-Godzilla sequel for 2018. I think it could, and should happen considering the massive success of Shin-Godzilla. Toho would honestly be waisting a year of profitability with doing nothing with the character in 2018.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Cookson wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:
B34sT wrote: I think so. It doesn't seem like the Anime was a reaction to the success of Shin Godzilla so starting a new live action film now so we get a Godzilla film every year from now until 2020 with both American and Japanese productions is a possibility. It's just when they announce that a new film is being made could be a while.
No one said anything about Toho releasing movies the same year as the LP films! Just talking about the possibility of a Shin-Godzilla sequel for 2018. I think it could, and should happen considering the massive success of Shin-Godzilla. Toho would honestly be waisting a year of profitability with doing nothing with the character in 2018.
I misread the post.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

I wouldn't mind if they did new origins every film ala the Millennium series. I'd like to see another old fashion suitmation versus film, just my opinion.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Showa Gyaos wrote:I doubt Toho will want to step on Legendary's toes. Assuming that plans remain in place, Godzilla 2 is coming on March 22, 2019, and Godzilla vs. Kong on May 29, 2020. Multiple films in the same year would potentially tire people. We don't want a repeat of the Millennium series where audiences got tired of the yearly Godzilla films.
Unlike the Millennium films, though, the yearly films will WORK this time with Toho and Legendary giving us good films that are actually experimenting and dramatically different from each other giving audiences a real reason to come back every time. :) I mean, hell, look how different all these movies are:

Godzilla (2014) - Big Budget American, Action-Adventure
Shin Godzilla (2016) - Critically acclaimed, Japanese, Disaster/Horror film
Godzilla (2017) - Animated film
Shin Godzilla 2 (2018?) - Sequel
Godzilla 2 (2019) - Big Budget American, Versus film, return of fan favorites
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) - Big Budget American AND the return of Kong to the franchise

I mean, wow! :shock:

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Based on Anno's attitude toward the 4th Evangelion movie, and how he's burnt out on making those and how this movie "saved him", I think it's a good chance that anno will return for the sequel.

toho ought to offer him a good payday to come back as well.
Member of TK Since 2006

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

3000 wrote:Based on Anno's attitude toward the 4th Evangelion movie, and how he's burnt out on making those and how this movie "saved him", I think it's a good chance that anno will return for the sequel.

toho ought to offer him a good payday to come back as well.
Anno already apologized and told Eva fans that Eva 4.0 was his next work. As a fan of both I will be pissed if Anno comes back because Godzilla doesn't need Anno, Eva 4.0 does.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image