Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 5)

Post by vastatosaurus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:29 pm What's the names of the three new monster trademarks from a few weeks back, I can't find them.

I also have a theory "Hedorah" is kinda like the space amoeba I can infect ordinary animals and turn them into monsters. Actually I wonder if Hedorah is Archetype.
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:04 pm Welp, some guy in other forum have found that Toho registered several copyrights of new monster names in last year. And those names sound very suit for bug monsters. This is just a speculation yet, but it sounds very plausible that these are the name of the new bug monsters.
Here you are.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

So the 1st and 3rd ones we know. The middle must be the Hedorah thing then?
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 pm So the 1st and 3rd ones we know. The middle must be the Hedorah thing then.
Not sure. People say
Spoiler:
"Hane"refers to "wing" or "feather"

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I just wanna know why they drastically redesigned Rodan, Anguirus and Manda, but kept their names, but had to do the exact opposite for Titanosaurus and Gabara, even making Titanosaurus a form of Godzilla.
It’s interesting to wonder why Rodan, Angurius and Manda are unrelated.
For now.
Spoiler:
Rodan has Godzilla dorsal plates. Anguirus ate the Rodans. Manda has Godzilla like dorsal plates on it's tail.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:36 pm Hedorah isn’t just Hedorah (maybe?) and is probably a Dogora hybrid as well.
It's a Hedorah/Yog hybrid. Seriously, I don't know why so many people think it has to be Dogora. The color doesn't even match; Dogora's color was inconsistent but it's either been white or green.

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:48 pm Hane refers to "wing" or "feather
I guess we're not getting Varan either, then.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:58 pm
It's a Hedorah/Yog hybrid.
The red and orange sea dinosaur with a fan tail and antennae on it's head is clearly Titanosaurus. The green wart covered monster with the cranial horn and ears is Gabara. :roll:
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:05 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:58 pm
It's a Hedorah/Yog hybrid.
The red and orange sea dinosaur with a fan tail and antennae on it's head is clearly Titanosaurus. The green wart covered monster with the cranial horn and ears is Gabara. :roll:
wot

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:26 am Super creepy. a bit small (probably will grow). It stands on four legs, but often stands upright. Also, worth noting, it might be a hybrid with baragon. Someone mentioned this a while back and I disagreed in moment, but it's more clear it's got those ridges similar to baragon, as well as a longer tail.

Edit: according to the English Netflix synopsis, it's not Gabara. It's official name is Salunga. I believe this is a Baragon/Gabara hybrid.[/Spoiler]
That would be me! The burden I must carry of being right all the time...

:lol: No, while I might've thrown the idea out there I certainly wasn't expecting them to actually do that. It's funny that they took a cute, doggie kaiju, combined him with another monster and turned him into that goddamned nightmare. :lol:

It is really odd that he's a new character, which brings me to this...
LamangoKaijura wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 pm I just wanna know why they drastically redesigned Rodan, Anguirus and Manda, but kept their names, but had to do the exact opposite for Titanosaurus and Gabara, even making Titanosaurus a form of Godzilla.
It’s interesting to wonder why Rodan, Angurius and Manda are unrelated.
For now.
Spoiler:
Rodan has Godzilla dorsal plates. Anguirus ate the Rodans. Manda has Godzilla like dorsal plates on it's tail.
This has been bugging me a bit as well. I get that this is a new series with a new continuity separate from everything that's come before, but its really strange that some of the featured kaiju are merely new incarnations/reimaginings of classic ones, while others, despite taking heavy inspiration from past characters, are apparently "original characters". And there's no rhyme or reason behind who is classified as a new character or not. Throws you for a loop, that's for sure.

I go back and forth on this series. A lot of elements sound and look amazing, but other stuff just seems way too bizarre and "out there". It can be great when stories go ham on all sorts of sci-fi bullshit, but there's a limit; you need to ground it. Like, Anguirus looked like one of the only semi-normal kaiju in the series, but now he has the power to see into the future or something...? I can appreciate trying new things with the franchise and its characters, but some of this sounds a bit too odd for me. Mercifully it seems like the characters in the show are just as bewildered as I am.

Now it should go without saying that I'm going to withhold judgment until I watch the series in full, and I've decided to wait for the "official" release in a couple months before watching or reading up on any more from here on out. I'm sure we'll benefit from having official translations and shit in general.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Wait so Toho is retconning titanosaurus, and renaming everyone but jet and Godzilla? And they’re making the kaiju be armies of fodder?

Yeah count me out of this.

Also, I distinctly remember people here calling the small changes Legendary made to Toho kaiju “disrespectful” and now Toho is too chickenshit to even respect the names of their classics.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BennettCommando
Monarch Researcher

Post by BennettCommando »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:34 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:29 pm What's the names of the three new monster trademarks from a few weeks back, I can't find them.

I also have a theory "Hedorah" is kinda like the space amoeba I can infect ordinary animals and turn them into monsters. Actually I wonder if Hedorah is Archetype.
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:04 pm Welp, some guy in other forum have found that Toho registered several copyrights of new monster names in last year. And those names sound very suit for bug monsters. This is just a speculation yet, but it sounds very plausible that these are the name of the new bug monsters.
Here you are.

It seems that the English version of the monster’s name, was closer to the trademark name, while its Japanese name was called Sharanga instead. Wonder why.

My speculation:
Kamanga:
The Kumonga/Megalon Hybrid.

Hanenga:
A variation or subspecies of Kamanga. It could also be an unrelated monster.

Another interesting thing to note, is that one of Polygon Trilogy's criticism, was the drastic redesign of the classic monsters. On the other hand, Singular Point has redesigned classic monster and new monsters that has elements of the classics.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I’m getting tired of people melting down over small changes legendary makes and then be bending over backwards to justify why Toho doing this kind of thing is ok
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

I vibe with both the MV and the weird shit TOHO's putting out. The Reiwa era's already got a very distinct feel to it, and I'm excited to see how it goes.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The characters are fun and there's an intriguing mystery going on. If the MV actually had that maybe people wouldn't be so uptight around designs which I feel is blown way out of proportion to begin with. There's a ton of people who hate the SP designs. I'd argue there's way more people who prefer the MV designs over the SP ones.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 pm This has been bugging me a bit as well. I get that this is a new series with a new continuity separate from everything that's come before, but its really strange that some of the featured kaiju are merely new incarnations/reimaginings of classic ones, while others, despite taking heavy inspiration from past characters, are apparently "original characters". And there's no rhyme or reason behind who is classified as a new character or not. Throws you for a loop, that's for sure.

I go back and forth on this series. A lot of elements sound and look amazing, but other stuff just seems way too bizarre and "out there". It can be great when stories go ham on all sorts of sci-fi bullshit, but there's a limit; you need to ground it. Like, Anguirus looked like one of the only semi-normal kaiju in the series, but now he has the power to see into the future or something...? I can appreciate trying new things with the franchise and its characters, but some of this sounds a bit too odd for me. Mercifully it seems like the characters in the show are just as bewildered as I am.

Now it should go without saying that I'm going to withhold judgment until I watch the series in full, and I've decided to wait for the "official" release in a couple months before watching or reading up on any more from here on out. I'm sure we'll benefit from having official translations and poop in general.
I've mostly loved it so far, however, it's all contingent that all this set up will mean something. I'm not back and forth, but it's setting up a lot of expectations that it better deliver on.

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:36 pm Wait so Toho is retconning titanosaurus, and renaming everyone but jet and Godzilla? And they’re making the kaiju be armies of fodder?

Also, I distinctly remember people here calling the small changes Legendary made to Toho kaiju “disrespectful” and now Toho is too chickenshit to even respect the names of their classics.
Listen, if you haven't seen the show please don't make premature or sweeping judgements like this, or complain. There hasn't been a Kaiju that is "fodder" yet. Unlike an hour and a half movie, they need to gradually build up the threat and use the medium to portray unique problems and set pieces. Everything is still magical and strange in its own way. If you watch the series, especially after it's aired in English in it's entirety, then feel free to speak your mind. Just you saying they're "renaming everyone", when Anguirus and Rodan have their own names is evidence enough.

I suggest you follow like Shenanigans and wait, rather than making early presumptions.

Added in 1 minute 21 seconds:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:23 pm The characters are fun and there's an intriguing mystery going on. If the MV actually had that maybe people wouldn't be so uptight around designs which I feel is blown way out of proportion to begin with. There's a ton of people who hate the SP designs. I'd argue there's way more people who prefer the MV designs over the SP ones.
I agree with you, but I don't want this to become a discussion about comparing it to the monsterverse, until at least the entire series has aired. It seems really weird to compare something that hasn't even been fully release yet, to four different films that have been over a span of years.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:36 pm Wait so Toho is retconning titanosaurus, and renaming everyone but jet and Godzilla? And they’re making the kaiju be armies of fodder?

Believe me when I say, give SP a chance. The portrayal of these characters has not in any way been disrespectful to them. Simply put, in their iconic forms a lot of them either straight-up wouldn't fit, or would seem somewhat out of place if they were forced into their traditional. Personally, I'll never be quite sold on the new Rodan design(s). However, within the show's context, it makes perfect sense.

Although I do wish a couple characters would've just been completely original creations with little to no reference to classic designs, these decisions come off more like they reference classic kaiju more out of love than anything else. Although really, the intentions of the director, writer, and designers is mostly up for interpretation and speculation
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am
Denis wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:57 am Ngl, the Mandas are so long. Since we are getting multiple, I wonder what they are after. Are they after Godzilla or something?
Someone has a theory that they're all just combining and not 'fighting'.
That kinda wouldn’t make sense imo. Since you can literally see Godzilla bleeding and likely roaring in pain. Plus Godzilla Ultima is his last form anyways.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Manda and Anguirus are not renamed. I think Archetype and the weird effects it has on reality is responsible for this.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:25 ami wonder if it really was meant to be them but they could only get the rights to so many monsters for some reason.
why would Toho need the rights to their own monsters?
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Everyone sorta overthinking the naming thing a bit too much. Stuff like Salunga, Aqualitus, blue Hedorah, and the bug hybrids are new kaiju that reference the older ones heavily, hence the new names

I quite like it tbh. I’d understand being upset if Anguirus wasn’t actually Anguirus but renamed “Terralitus”, but kaiju like Titano and Gabara aren’t very sacred when it comes to redesigns and reimaginings like other, more recognizable TOHO kaiju :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:54 am Everyone sorta overthinking the naming thing a bit too much. Stuff like Salunga, Aqualitus, blue Hedorah, and the bug hybrids are new kaiju that reference the older ones heavily, hence the new names

I quite like it tbh. I’d understand being upset if Anguirus wasn’t actually Anguirus but renamed “Terralitus”, but kaiju like Titano and Gabara aren’t very sacred when it comes to redesigns and reimaginings like other, more recognizable TOHO kaiju :lol:
I guess my issue is that many of us fans have been wanting these monsters to get more appearances. The new Varan that may show up is arguably going to be the worst case of this. Most everyone wants Varan to get more love, and while a new monster that looks like him could be considered love, it's also just weird to me. If it's a new monster, shouldn't it have a totally new design? And if it's an old design, shouldn't it have an old name too?

In a similar example, The Force Awakens (and much of the sequel trilogy) introduced tons of new aliens without having many old ones. For me and my friends, it made the universe feel very different than the one I know and love (probably because I grew up with the prequels). A specific example is the Ottegan in TFA. It's described as a genetic offshoot of Ithorian's, but where Ithorians have gills instead of a mouth, this dude just has a mouth. Why not just make him a full on Ithorian?

Anyway, I'm not really that frustrated about it, and I'm super excited to see Singular Point play out. But I just find it kind of weird.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.