Dogora (1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Dogora (1964)

Postby edgaguirus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:55 pm

You are correct. It's a little too convenient of a death, but it works for the plot.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Postby Stevo_1985 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:56 pm

Finally got my hands on this one and gave it a watch!

I was a bit disappointed. Dogora itself I thought was pretty cool and Toho did a fine job bringing him to life. I thought the effects were very well done as well.. the bad IMO was the entire gangster side plot that seemed to hardly tie into the film but a completely different film. It was like someone hacked up 2 totally different films from different genres and mashed them together which is ashame as i really like this particular set of actors.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:19 pm

It's alright. The cast is decent, and Wakabayashi steals the show, but there's nothing really done with them. Dogora looks great, and most of the effects are well done. There's some similarities with Shin Godzilla like some of the cinematography and the whole "the industry got together to mass produce the monsters weakness" thing.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:52 am

I like how they've taken a conventional idea (alien monster comes to Earth) but somehow made it unique. It's very different from something like The X from Outer Space.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

tngjstn
Young Farmer

Postby tngjstn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:01 pm

Dogora is a strange one for me. It was one of the first non-Godzilla Toho films I saw, and I wasn't really impressed with it. I agree with the consensus that the diamond heist plot outweighs the sci-fi action, and it really shows that Honda was not invested in making this film. However the titular monster's design, as well as the sounds it makes were very otherworldly and imposing.

The human cast is mostly lackluster, with the exception of Robert Dunham as the diamond broker Mark Jackson, and future Bond actress Akiko Wakabayashi, who debuted her long flowing black hair which she was well known for. Despite her paper-thin acting in this film, she made up for it in Three-Headed Monster later that year.

Me personally, the film ranks as one of the lowest points of the classic Showa series, barely passing Raids Again.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:45 am

Kaiju film Meets Cops & Robbers...

And...I personally don't think it works.

I mean its not horrible or anything...I just don't get it.
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”