Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Thoughts on Godzilla (1954)

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't use stop-motion. I doubt the stop motion would have been that great.
As well, using suitmation is such a defining mark of these films. If they used stop motion suitmation would of not been invented.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Tyler wrote:The unused stop motion Godzilla from Biollante was interesting, though.
Definitely. Though it's probably best it didn't end up in the finished film. It's cool to see that Kawakita and co. were experimenting with it though.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ KING KONG 33', THE BEAST, etc.? Unless you're referring to more low budget stuff.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ No offense, but the original Godzilla had so much more on him. I think the G'54 suit was one of the best filmed and designed in the whole Showa series (and maybe the Heisei, but that may be a bit of a long shot)
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Post by The Dark Uniter »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Yeah but it looked like shit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOuoci_Uu0o

Granted, the Ceratosaurus looks like ass, but that sloth is pretty damn good. It sure as hell beats the furry pants off of either of Toho's Kong suits.
My god...that suit looks so bad for the Ceratosaurus. :?

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Godzilla '54 in History Class

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Apparently my friend's history class is watching Gojira right now, to, like, connect to Hiroshima I guess. In my classes we're doing nothing. I wish I was in her class ;_;
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla '54 in History Class

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

I can only hope that you are not in English class. Otherwise, your teacher should be slapping you with a ruler right now for not saying, "I wish I were in her class." :P
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Mini-Godzilla wrote:I can only hope that you are not in English class. Otherwise, your teacher should be slapping you with a ruler right now for not saying, "I wish I were in her class." :P
I actually am in English class lol

And yeah that shit happens every day

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

I guess you can rejoice that you're not in one of the English classes that I teach. My former students express symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. ;)

I should work Gojira into a class next semester, though. Surely college freshmen are capable of analyzing a 1950s Toho film, right? They're probably watching The Seven Samurai in their film classes anyway.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Mini-Godzilla wrote:I guess you can rejoice that you're not in one of the English classes that I teach. My former students express symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. ;)

I should work Gojira into a class next semester, though. Surely college freshmen are capable of analyzing a 1950s Toho film, right? They're probably watching The Seven Samurai in their film classes anyway.
That would be pretty sweet.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

SuperMonsterZero wrote:Apparently my friend's history class is watching Gojira right now, to, like, connect to Hiroshima I guess. In my classes we're doing nothing. I wish I was in her class ;_;
Jesus Christ.

I wonder what Mike thinks about this...

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Your guys are pretty lucky to show at least the original Gojira at your schools. Usually at my now former high school, they would show more recent films.
Last edited by The Dark Uniter on Tue May 24, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Hell, I just took a class called History of Science Fiction Film where my professor expressed that he thought GODZILLA was a "terrible movie". One would assume he had only seen the U.S. version, but I didn't even bother asking at that point.

When getting to the subject of "terrestrial monsters" (which was late in the semester), we simply watched the groan inducing IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA. -_-
Last edited by Goji on Tue May 24, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Legion1979 wrote:Operation: Gojira.
That's just boring. If it was me, I would've at least made it an in-joke and called it "Project G" :P

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

Oh well, it didn't go through anyway.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

My Film Appreciation teacher played Gojira last Fall. Everybody seemed to like it. A lot of film noir was displayed in it.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Kinda curious, did the students mind the subtitles? Usually if I'm around other people my age, they usually want it to be English only, same case with my brother.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

The Dark Uniter wrote:Kinda curious, did the students mind the subtitles? Usually if I'm around other people my age, they usually want it to be English only, same case with my brother.
Idk if that was directed at me, but my class did not mind subtitles.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

The Dark Uniter
G-Grasper

Showa Gyaos wrote:
The Dark Uniter wrote:Kinda curious, did the students mind the subtitles? Usually if I'm around other people my age, they usually want it to be English only, same case with my brother.
Idk if that was directed at me, but my class did not mind subtitles.
Yeah, it was directed to you.

gojira84
Samurai

Post by gojira84 »

People always say, "Well if I wanted to read, I'd read a books". Yeah I doubt you'd read a book you sad ignorant fool!