Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

You cried? I've never cried during a Godzilla movie before :lol:
I guess so

I love the atmosphere of this one, one of my favorites for sure
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:You cried? I've never cried during a Godzilla movie before :lol:
I guess so

At least I was man enough to admit it. ;) :lol:

expandkong
G-Force Personnel

Post by expandkong »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:You cried? I've never cried during a Godzilla movie before :lol:
I guess so

I cry almost every time I watch this movie. especially the hospital scene.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A Godzilla movie has never made me cry, but I rarely do anyways. To topic, I watched this one last night for the 61st anniversary. Even though I've seen Gojira seevral times, it never gets old.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

I teared up when I was a kid when Burning Godzilla died. Not sure if that counts as crying. A film that goes out of it's way to show people killed by Godzilla and show Godzilla's radiation affect things around him are reasons why the original is still the best. Really wish modern filmmakers and script writers would grow some backbone and show far out scenes again. You never see any outright carnage and destruction in monster films anymore, let alone Godzilla films.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I always cry at Gojira; it's hard not to when the hospital scene is so brutally upsetting. But that's what makes it such a great film. Happy belated 61st birthday, Godzilla.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Gojira is the best Godzilla. I saw it in theaters twice (once in 2004 and again in 2014) and I think that first viewing in Japanese made a big impact on me... not that the American release didn't; that was one of the first movies I watched as a kid, but the Japanese version was fresh and unscathed. From that moment onward I was a lot more interested in the original Toho stuff than the movies from the later era. Especially the late 50s and early 60s when they were experimenting with the stuff, I became really intrigued. I think Gojira helped me to go from being a fan of Godzilla movies to a fan of Toho movies like Seven Samurai, and from there foreign films in general. It opened up a whole realm of "the uncut version" for me. Not to mention, every time I put it on I end up watching it the whole way through.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The diegetic music from the dubbing track version. Most of you will probably recognize the second track from King of the Monsters.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

One aspect of the original I like is there is a cause and effect to Godzilla’s actions. The missing fishing boats causes an investigation. That investigation reveals Godzilla. Sending the navy out with depth charges which drive Godzilla away from Odo island area towards Japan and Tokyo bay. Once Godzilla comes ashore and leaves, they construct the electric barrier. Which when Godzilla comes ashore again, angers him and he unleashes his rage on Tokyo. Which of course leads to the use of the Oxygen Destroyer which can be a weapon as dangerous as the nuclear weapons that changed Godzilla in the first place.

Dr Yamane was right, if they would have studied Godzilla instead of just trying to destroy him things would have played out very differently.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The 'Cause & Effect' of Godzilla's actions in the movie are easily the best in the entire franchise, and really easy to see why.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Godzilla 1954 English Dub?

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Hi there!
I found this clip online, and I have no idea what it is. Is this some sort of fan dub, or some previously unknown International dub?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 1954 English Dub?

Post by Creature22 »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Hi there!
I found this clip online, and I have no idea what it is. Is this some sort of fan dub, or some previously unknown International dub?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AZaNwHKMeiI
SpaceHunterM posted that. So I'm curious as to where it came from myself. If it's a fandub, whoever did it did a really good job... if it's some sort of international dub, my curiosity has been piqued.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

lol dats my voice

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Actually! :lol: Well, impressive job! You had me fooled!
HayesAJones wrote:

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Space Hunter M wrote:lol dats my voice
Man, you did a good job of making it sound like it was recorded in the 50s. You should get a bunch of people and dub the whole movie... as an actor, I'd totally be down haha.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

It's times like these I wish there was a Godzilla panic broadcast.
This is the beginning of the end.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

I was reading some stuff on KOTM, and I read that there was a TV spot with some kid saying something along the lines of "wow, it looks so real" or something like that. Does anyone know where to find it, because I would love to see it!
HayesAJones wrote:

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Made a small realization on why this film was so successful at conveying the traumas it displayed...

Most Kaiju films choose one specific set of characters, limited to their natural setting. Reporters on an adventure, Military personnel tracing the beast, Scientists in boardrooms... sometimes little more than breathing tropes, but rich with storylines nonetheless.

However, this film grasps it's 'reality' in the most expansive way possible - we see just about every necessary viewpoint, proving Godzilla's threat is relevant everyone. Typical citizens, scientists, officials, foreigners... Godzilla isn't simply an issue to be corrected. It's been said countless times, but ShodaiGoji is a storm. There's no one specific answer, non-film speaking, to the issue his very existence creates - all we can to is sit and watch as something beyond human intention has it's way.

And that's the kicker - Godzilla wasn't beyond our intention, he was fully within it - he's our creation. Our own misguided practices have created something that can, without struggle, control us far more than we can dream to it.

Gojira throws it's parallel in our face in the most subtle way possible; by presenting it as it inarguably is. We see exactly what it's describing take another form, one as literal as can be... the movie succeeds in masking an intentionally basic metaphor with a shroud of art, making it seem infinitely deeper than it is - and by doing that, the film has made us think. It's made us consider the ramifications of such a naturally scary scenario, begging us to look deeper and deeper when there's hardly anything there.

The movie itself doesn't have all that much to say; but it has many, many questions. And it has absolutely succeeded in making us answer them.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Very good points! For all of that the allegory is fairly on the nose, the movie is not bluntly polemical - in large part because of its even-handed presentation of multiple valid and significant perspectives - and so it opens up conversation a lot more than it shuts it down.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

I cry every time I watch the Japanese version. It is a movie about Hiroshima and the U.S. nuclear testing. Godzilla is one big allegory of the A-Bomb. I am currently watching all the movies in order again and this one remains #1 for me.