Escape . . . Into the Future

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
mechanikong
Yojimbo

Escape . . . Into the Future

Post by mechanikong »

Anyone ever wonder about the end of Invasion of the Astro Monsters where the controller says something along the lines of "we must escape . . . into the future" right before they blow up? Was that a reference to a possible unexplored angle where the Xians invented a time machine? It would have been cool if the Xians appeared in another Showa film to get revenge on the earthlings. But unfortunately, that never came into fruition.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Re: Escape . . . Into the Future

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I've always thought that the leader was just mumbling something crazy. Those sound waves were messing everyone else up, I guess they were messing him up too.

Its like listening to a drunken bum: He has no idea what he's talking about, and you should never really listen to him.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I've always sorta wished that they did escape into the future and then there would be some subtle nod towards their return in the future. Sadly, when I really look at it, it seems like he just went insane. Though he did push that one button right when they blew up...hmmm....
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

King Caesar wrote:I've always sorta wished that they did escape into the future and then there would be some subtle nod towards their return in the future. Sadly, when I really look at it, it seems like he just went insane. Though he did push that one button right when they blew up...hmmm....
For all we know, he hit the Self-Destruct button.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Escaping to the future as in Going to a "Better Place" for eternal rest, i think.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
For all we know, he hit the Self-Destruct button.
I think that's exactly what he did.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

In a fan fic I've been working on for years...I linked a heavily modified version of "Godzilla vs King Ghidorah" into the Showa universe, where the Futurians were those Xians and their descendants who did indeed escape into the future
SAVE_US.GDZ

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Living Corpse wrote:Maybe it's just their cultural belief that their reborn in the future when they die.

Shrugs.
This is always the way I interpreted it as well: that the controller was referring to a belief of what happens when they perish. :xilien:
If it bites... don't mess with it!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

They went into the future, evolved drastically, and then launched their least in-genius plot yet in the futuristic year of 2004...

I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

I always liked the Controller's death ("escape!") scene. Classic villain meltdown.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

JVM wrote:They went into the future, evolved drastically, and then launched their least in-genius plot yet in the futuristic year of 2004...
Darn you beat me to it!.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:Its like listening to a drunken bum: He has no idea what he's talking about, and you should never really listen to him.
(Real life experience from walking in down town San Diego during SDCC)
Me and 3 friends circa 1997 age 21

Bum: "Hey Guys, you gotta quarter? You see I'm trying to get back to L.A., are you goin' there? Can you help me out? Oh this beer in my hand, I dont know where it came from, I don't want this beer. Hey guys, come back, where you going?"
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

menschenjaeger wrote:I always liked the Controller's death ("escape!") scene. Classic villain meltdown.
Too bad nothing that cool ever happened again... *flashback to Kilaakians emotionlessly falling down and turning to their rock form*. The only thing comparable in the Showa series is the Chairman's rant before Godzilla tower goes boom.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

From watching the Japanese version, the Controller was talking about death. He blew himself and his invasion force up.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

This is friggin' hilarious. I just watched this movie on Netflix and was like dafuuggggg? When he said that. Awesome death scene, awesome movie.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RedZillaKing wrote: I just watched this movie on Netflix and was like dafuuggggg?
Did you not remember that line from previous viewings, or something? I'm just making the assumption that you've already seen this film countless times. I always saw it as a pretty stand-out line in the American version.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Living Corpse wrote:I don't know, the ape man laughing before jumping in the sea in TOMG was kinda epic.
Technically, he was shot and then fell into the sea.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Goji wrote: Did you not remember that line from previous viewings, or something? I'm just making the assumption that you've already seen this film countless times. I always saw it as a pretty stand-out line in the American version.
I admittedly hadn't seen the American version of the film in a while. I was "too cool" for dubs for a long time and have gotten back into watching the American version because my wife doesn't like the subs. When the commander said that my wife and I looked at each other in surprise, lol.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Invasion of Astro-Monster is one of the films that I watch dubbed 9 times out of 10; hearing Nick Adams real performance is great and whoever did the dubbing for the Xilian Controller did an absalutely beyond perfect job. I can't imagine him any other way. Not to mention the iconic one liners he has.

I will show you. . .The Monster Zero!
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

It hit me like a fat sack of nostalgia watching the dubbed version on Netflix the other day. I fell in love with it all over again. Guess it goes to show you're never too cool for certain things.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

The Controller's hand gestures....