Roar Origins

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Re: Roar Origins

Post by wrongnote85 »

bring this thread back, you guys had some cool info in here. don't let it die people!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

How about Ebirah's metallic squawk? Or Giant Condor's chirp?

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

Something interesting I noticed is that, not even exclusive to Showa roars, if you listen REALLY carefully, you can hear a bit of the original device used to create it. For example, some choice Rodan clips you can hear the trail end of someone plucking strings.

Anyone know about Ghidorah?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ I know what you mean. You can sort of hear it in Ebirah's cry.

Shacker9227
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shacker9227 »

Zombie thread, I know but I found out how some of Godzilla's roars from 1984, 1989, and 2002-2004 were made.

1984 - The basic roar begins like one of Shodai ('50s) Godzilla's roars but then goes into a sequence that sounds pretty rough like concrete mixed with a animal growl and then ends of with the finishing part of a roar from '55 Goji. The longer roar has the basic roar mixed in but with added sounds like more crumbling and breaking noises and a part taken from a '55 Goji roar while a sound of what seems to be a man screaming -put into a low pitch- is mixed with that whole roar. It then ends like the basic roar. The other roar of what sounds like one of '54 Goji's roars is that roar but with added "blaring'" sounds -like a really loud explosion when caught on a camera- to beef up the old roar a little.

1989 - These roars are modified 1984 roars. It begins with the recognizable Godzilla roar but then branches off into one of '84's growls and the whole roar sounds smoother than the '84 roar. The longer roar is almost the same as the basic '84 roar but then goes off into an extended '84 growl that was put at a lower pitch. The other roar that sounds like one of Shodai Goji's roars is a little hard to make out. I'm guessing it's one of the old roars but slightly shortened and beefed up with growls.

2002-2004 growls/cries - I'm not talking about the main roar, I'm talking about the growls/cries that were spouted out alot by this version of Godzilla. They started out as elephant sounds but were later put at a low pitch. I'm able to confirm this one since I was playing around with some elephant sounds in a sound editing program and I got some of the growls used by millenium Goji. Some of these were mixed with the beginning of this Godzilla's roar later on.
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice." - Sydney Freedman, M*A*S*H

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

I heard Gabara's roar was made from Justin Bieber being raped by a lion.
You know what makes it even more funny? I can believe that. :lol:
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Shadow wrote:I heard Gabara's roar was made from Justin Bieber being raped by a lion.
You know what makes it even more funny? I can believe that. :lol:
I remember reading somewhere that Gabara's sound were Justin Bieber's 'masturbatory' sounds (I swear that's exactly how I read the quote).
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

This thread clearly should have been called "Roarigins."

I mean, clearly.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Someone else made that comment before. I fully support it. :lol:

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

210 posts? Seriously? I need to be more active. I've had this account for just a little over a year, and I'm lagging behind.
Anyways, we should go back with playing around with musical instruments for recreating kaiju roars.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Iracord@aol.com
Young Farmer

Rodan screech sound design

Post by Iracord@aol.com »

Hi!
I was just at Son of Monsterpalooza and asked Akira-star of Gojira-about Gojira's roar! He said it WAS a contrabass with strings loosened and a glove with resin...BUT more sounds were layered-glass, metal, and piano!
I have ALWAYS been curious about Rodan-original-screech! It is so mysteriously cool! I can sound like it, but I have NO clue what it is...and I'm a Sound Designer!! Oh, the shame!!!
Anybody know...???

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

Showa Gyaos wrote:I just found raw sounds from GRA on YouTube. Anguirus's roars were made with a saxophone, and later altered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lygEnfOeMQ
I hadn't seen (or heard) this when it was first posted. Amazing!

The last time I was this dumbfounded about the origins of particular sounds, it was when I went to the very end of the Omega Man CD (as the liner notes recommended) to find out what the composer's inspiration was... :dizzy:

Anyway, never mind that it started out as a saxophonist deliberately making 'groaner' notes... Anguirus's / Angilas's roar is distinctive and very effective.

And to think, all this time I thought there were heavily altered sounds from heifers in there...
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Anyone have any idea where Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mechag's roars came from?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzillian wrote:Anyone have any idea where Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mechag's roars came from?
Rodan's roar is a violin if I'm not mistaken.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Dr. Professor wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Anyone have any idea where Ghidorah, Rodan, and Mechag's roars came from?
Rodan's roar is a violin if I'm not mistaken.
This has already been addressed before, but Rodan's sounds went into at least 2 other Kaiju. Heisei (Mecha) King Ghidora was given Rodan's sounds, although altered and processed, to make them sound much more alien. Battra, on the other hand, was given Rodan's sounds with no processing or alterations. Personally, for Battra I think they should have employed the same thing they've done to create Rodan's sounds, but only with a distored electric violin.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I noticed that in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home that the some of the stock footage whale cries are the same cries used for Biollante.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

godzilla98rules wrote:I noticed that in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home that the some of the stock footage whale cries are the same cries used for Biollante.
Are they the same whale sounds or are the just both whale sounds? I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
godzilla98rules wrote:I noticed that in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home that the some of the stock footage whale cries are the same cries used for Biollante.
Are they the same whale sounds or are the just both whale sounds? I'm pretty sure it's the latter.
They're the exact same.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

The Falcon Mech Z
Monsterland Worker

Post by The Falcon Mech Z »

godzilla98rules wrote:
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote:
They're the exact same.
WHAT :shock: Imposible!!! Im... :shock: posi... :shock: ble... X_X
This post was made to raise Varan awareness. Have you or a loved one ever had a piece of your soul taken from you? Then come fill that gap in your already empty soul with our best buddy Varan!

ArchdukeCaligula
Monsterland Worker

Post by ArchdukeCaligula »

I'm curious as to how they made Gamera's roar
HayesAJones wrote:
ArchdukeCaligula wrote:The Giant Behemoth(does that thing have a name)
He answers to Franklin.
JAGzilla wrote:^ What... the skreeonk… has gone wrong in your life that this level of hatred is directed at a cartoon three-year-old? :lol: