Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SuperPawnageGigan
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby SuperPawnageGigan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:28 am

Titanosaurus is not a bad guy. He was living in peace underwater until the Black Hole Planet 3 Aliens mind control and mind controlled him which caused him to be evil. But in the end Godzilla ko'ed him and he fell into the sea.
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:49 am

Titanosaurus’s blood was made of sparks, much like all the Heisei monsters, and he fell into the sea, where he sank into obscurity, never to be seen again…
Or maybe Titanosaurus’s body was just highly combustible, the world may never know :shrug:

The final shot consists of Fake Godzilla, safely swimming out to sea, revealing that Mechagodzilla had survived and was choosing to live out the rest of its unnatural life in peace.

Truly a beautiful end to a beautiful series.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:45 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:The final shot consists of Fake Godzilla, safely swimming out to sea, revealing that Mechagodzilla had survived and was choosing to live out the rest of its unnatural life in peace.

what did Honda mean by this?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:55 am

kamilleblu wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:The final shot consists of Fake Godzilla, safely swimming out to sea, revealing that Mechagodzilla had survived and was choosing to live out the rest of its unnatural life in peace.

He meant, "Idealism is for chumps. Morality is an illusion. Peace is purchased with blood. Buy in, sell out, and garb yourself in the visage of your fallen enemies."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:08 am

kamilleblu wrote:

That the franchise is ending as a hollow shell of its former self, hence why the Fake Godzilla suit was used :lol:

The One and Only
EDF Soldier

Postby The One and Only » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Cool fan art poster by a bloke who goes by the handle, Art-Tool.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 pm

What are the Xiliens doing there?
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:What are the Xiliens doing there?

It's got their saucers as well.

Maybe this is more of a fan re-imagining of the film as well as simply a cool fan poster? I mean for one thing Godzilla is obviously quite different from his design in the film. Still, awesome poster.

Terasawa
Futurian

Postby Terasawa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Also the title and credits are for SpaceGodzilla. Pretty lazy if you ask me.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

The One and Only
EDF Soldier

Postby The One and Only » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:What are the Xiliens doing there?

Remember, they were featured instead of Simeons in Terror's prologue. Also they were also controlling Mechagodzilla in the NES GODZILLA:Monster of Monsters game.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:57 pm

There’s really something great about this film. Even though there’s not much narratively that wraps up the Showa era (and in my view DAM does that perfectly anyway), if you watch the showa series in order there’s a kind of ‘return to form’ here, with the character action, Honda’s direction and Ifukube’s score that brings things full circle and wraps the showa era up in a nice bow for me.

At the risk of being a little pretentious, compare the showa series with the Beatles discography. You’ve got the early albums, which are kind of straight up pop-rock, which then lead into the really psychedelic, experimental stuff. But then finally at the very end you have the album Let it Be, which eschewed much of the fancy production techniques of the experimental stuff and brought the band back to its roots of less complicated rock that a four-piece band might actually play on a stage.

Terror of Mechagodzilla is the Let it Be of Godzilla movies. There I said it.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:51 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:There’s really something great about this film. Even though there’s not much narratively that wraps up the Showa era (and in my view DAM does that perfectly anyway), if you watch the showa series in order there’s a kind of ‘return to form’ here, with the character action, Honda’s direction and Ifukube’s score that brings things full circle and wraps the showa era up in a nice bow for me.

At the risk of being a little pretentious, compare the showa series with the Beatles discography. You’ve got the early albums, which are kind of straight up pop-rock, which then lead into the really psychedelic, experimental stuff. But then finally at the very end you have the album Let it Be, which eschewed much of the fancy production techniques of the experimental stuff and brought the band back to its roots of less complicated rock that a four-piece band might actually play on a stage.

You said it, and I love you for it, because it feels astonishingly right.

But, boy, Let it Be and Terror of Mechagodzilla are both really downbeat endings...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:26 pm

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:There’s really something great about this film. Even though there’s not much narratively that wraps up the Showa era (and in my view DAM does that perfectly anyway), if you watch the showa series in order there’s a kind of ‘return to form’ here, with the character action, Honda’s direction and Ifukube’s score that brings things full circle and wraps the showa era up in a nice bow for me.

But, boy, Let it Be and Terror of Mechagodzilla are both really downbeat endings...

:lol: someone had to say it!

Downbeat how, in your opinion?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:37 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Both just have kind of mournful tones. In the case of Let It Be, some of that impression probably comes from the movie rather than the album.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:38 pm

eabaker wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Both just have kind of mournful tones. In the case of Let It Be, some of that impression probably comes from the movie rather than the album.

Yeah, I got you. The human story in ToMG has a pretty tragic ending for everyone involved - Ichinose loses his love, Katsura and Dr. Mafune both die, and the Simeon's civilization is pretty much doomed I suppose. Titanosaurus also appears to just get straight up executed (although I know this is up to some debate among fans), and even Godzilla's departure has a touch of melancholy.

And yeah Let it Be... while I haven't seen the movie, I'm aware of the band history and it totally does colour that album, regardless of the songs, with a tinge of sadness. Just knowing that at the time this was being put together, arguably the most important band in history was breaking up.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 pm

That is a well done poster. It makes Titanosaurus look quite fearsome.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

123go
Yojimbo

Postby 123go » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 am

Say what you will about Titanosaurus, but he had some pecs. Very large pecs. Wonder what he benched?

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:14 pm

https://youtu.be/4tTPiQviZeg

Clair de Lune was played in the cafe scene! This makes the KOTM trailer even more epic!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44 pm

Godzillian wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:

That the franchise is ending as a hollow shell of its former self, hence why the Fake Godzilla suit was used :lol:

Quit trying to ruin the mood.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:22 am

For me...its the choppy editing & rough effects work that hold this one back.

Its a shame because it has some great elements & being a direct sequel does
help it...but I do prefer the other Godzilla films from the 70's
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”