Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Maritonic

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:28 am

TitanoGoji16 wrote:Now I just have this hilarious mental image of Katsura's callbacks using more 'appropriate' monsters:

Katsura wrote:"Surely you don't mean you'd release the disaster monsters again. Like King Ghidrah..."

[Clip: Ghidorah blasting Tokyo apart.]

"...Mighty Gigan..."

[Clip: Gigan screeching in front of a burning Tokyo.]

"...And terrible Megalon."

[Clip: Megalon waving his arms like a spaz and bouncing around aimlessly in the countryside.]

Nah, Rodan was fine in my opinion. I know he's usually seen as an ally, but in his clips something was at least HAPPENING. Not just a monorail being taken down slooooooooowly.

But I see what other's are saying about the visual aesthetic and Honda's association with Manda.

But damn does that DAM plot hole bother the hell out of me.
Resized Image

"The soil of a man's heart is stonier; a man grows what he can, and tends it.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:51 am

Maritonic wrote:But damn does that DAM plot hole bother the hell out of me.

Just remember, that's not an image that the characters are seeing; it's a non-diegetic element to help the audience visualize what she's talking about. So, it's really no more of a plot hole than, say, the fact that you can watch a movie set in a period of time before motion picture cameras and film existed.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:56 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:But damn does that DAM plot hole bother the hell out of me.

Just remember, that's not an image that the characters are seeing; it's a non-diegetic element to help the audience visualize what she's talking about. So, it's really no more of a plot hole than, say, the fact that you can watch a movie set in a period of time before motion picture cameras and film existed.

True, but if we're going to delve deeper, why is Manda to be feared? He wasn't even much of a threat to the Gotengo, in the grand scheme of things.
Resized Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 am

Maritonic wrote:
True, but if we're going to delve deeper, why is Manda to be feared? He wasn't even much of a threat to the Gotengo, in the grand scheme of things.

You don't wanna be that one guy at the beach that gets eaten when the lifeguard or anyone isn't paying attention..... ONLY THE TERRIBLE MANDA DOES SUCH TERROR.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:57 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

You don't wanna be that one guy at the beach that gets eaten when the lifeguard or anyone isn't paying attention..... ONLY THE TERRIBLE MANDA DOES SUCH TERROR.

He's so slow you could doggie paddle away in time.

Remember, this is Showa Manda. Not Final Wars Manda.
Resized Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:59 am

Maritonic wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

I was joking around, but sure. Millennium snake boi faster than old snake boi

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:02 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:You don't wanna be that one guy at the beach that gets eaten when the lifeguard or anyone isn't paying attention..... ONLY THE TERRIBLE MANDA DOES SUCH TERROR.

I was joking around, but sure. Millennium snake boi faster than old snake boi

The doggie paddle retort was a joke too, fam. ;)
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am

You both forget the terrible mystery of the whiskers and horns. The true key to Manda's power. Absorbing them into his body at will, he can gain 10,000 tons of mass instantly. Did you ever wonder what fiendish powers might be unlocked if he chose to sacrifice that tiny set of arms, too?

The last Showa film chronologically, and in real-world production history, both featured Manda. There's a reason they didn't make any other films after that.

Manda left few alive.
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:13 am

^ I was referring to the second half of your post. Eh, I dunno it's been a long week. :angel:

I've heard people talk about why they didn't just wake up King Ceasar again, well my case is that (obviously besides simply not putting him in this one), Interpol didnt know the BHP3's base was in mainland Japan instead of Okinawa and they didn't know when MG would be on the loose. Not too mention Godzilla would just get their faster and they would have to find that girl to sing perfectly timed while the sun becomes red.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
Zarm wrote:You both forget the terrible mystery of the whiskers and horns. The true key to Manda's power. Absorbing them into his body at will, he can gain 10,000 tons of mass instantly. Did you ever wonder what fiendish powers might be unlocked if he chose to sacrifice that tiny set of arms, too?

The last Showa film chronologically, and in real-world production history, both featured Manda. There's a reason they didn't make any other films after that.

Manda left few alive.

:shock: Please Zarm, I want to sleep peacefully tonight. I don't even want to ponder what true destructive powers he posses.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:22 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:^ I was referring to the second half of your post. Eh, I dunno it's been a long week. :angel:

I've heard people talk about why they didn't just wake up King Ceasar again, well my case is that (obviously besides simply not putting him in this one), Interpol didnt know the BHP3's base was in mainland Japan instead of Okinawa and they didn't know when MG would be on the loose. Not too mention Godzilla would just get their faster and they would have to find that girl to sing perfectly timed while the sun becomes red.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
Zarm wrote:You both forget the terrible mystery of the whiskers and horns. The true key to Manda's power. Absorbing them into his body at will, he can gain 10,000 tons of mass instantly. Did you ever wonder what fiendish powers might be unlocked if he chose to sacrifice that tiny set of arms, too?

Manda left few alive.

:shock: Please Zarm, I want to sleep peacefully tonight. I don't even want to ponder what true destructive powers he posses.

Always watching... Waiting...waiting for Zarm to say something about King Ghidorah....waiting for the time....TO STRIKE!!!
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Maritonic wrote: True, but if we're going to delve deeper, why is Manda to be feared? He wasn't even much of a threat to the Gotengo, in the grand scheme of things.

It's simple. He's a kaiju, and humanity fear kaiju.

The Gotengo technically doesn't even exist in the Showa Godzilla universe, so that's a moot point, anyway.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Goji wrote:
Maritonic wrote: True, but if we're going to delve deeper, why is Manda to be feared? He wasn't even much of a threat to the Gotengo, in the grand scheme of things.

The Gotengo technically doesn't even exist in the Showa Godzilla universe, so that's a moot point, anyway.

Okay, so then. We go back to the continuity error of Terror of Mechagodzilla. If Atragon doesn't exist in the Showa Godzilla continuity, there should be 0 mention of Manda at all, as Destroy All Monsters hasn't happened yet.

I know Toho threw continuity out the window a lot, but MAN does this bother me.

Goji, with all of your knowledge I was hoping you'd have a legitimate reason for Manda's inclusion in the film. As it is right now, it seems it was just the visual aesthetic of the scene matching the others and Honda's association with the kaiju.
Resized Image

Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzillian » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Honda put him into DAM to giving Manda a spot light seen so maybe Honda was just prefered Manda over other Toho kaiju

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Rewatched it today (still absolutely love it). I loved the little details in the monster scenes, like Titanosaurus holding his hands behind his back while stomping on Godzilla and MG doing the BHP3 salute while firing his space beam. Little things like that just add to it. nostalgia levels over 9000
Only real complaint is the editing, I didn't remember it being as wonky as it is.

I also noticed how the leader Bilusaludo from the anime looks similar to Tsuda, they have the same beard. I always thought Mugal was the only one they referenced.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:13 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Rewatched it today (still absolutely love it). I loved the little details in the monster scenes, like Titanosaurus holding his hands behind his back while stomping on Godzilla and MG doing the BHP3 salute while firing his space beam. Little things like that just add to it. nostalgia levels over 9000
Only real complaint is the editing, I didn't remember it being as wonky as it is.

I also noticed how the leader Bilusaludo from the anime looks similar to Tsuda, they have the same beard. I always thought Mugal was the only one they referenced.

I actually never liked Titanosaurus holding his hands behind his back, it always felt too...human? But I DO love Mechagodzilla doing the salute, being a machine, as it seems just so sinister.
Resized Image

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:34 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:^ I was referring to the second half of your post. Eh, I dunno it's been a long week. :angel:

I've heard people talk about why they didn't just wake up King Ceasar again

I’ve never heard anyone say that…
But gee, I’d probably go with the fact that it’d make no sense? It takes a lot more than just the princess to sing, the entire prophecy has to take place, not to mention the fact Mechagodzilla isn’t attacking Okinawa, he’s raiding Tokyo…
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:

I've heard people talk about why they didn't just wake up King Ceasar again

I’ve never heard anyone say that…
But gee, I’d probably go with the fact that it’d make no sense? It takes a lot more than just the princess to sing, the entire prophecy has to take place, not to mention the fact Mechagodzilla isn’t attacking Okinawa, he’s raiding Tokyo…

Yeah, it's surprising what people come up with :lol:

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

Postby Anguirus'BiggestFan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Spoiler:
I don't know, it was the part where Titanosaurus almost stomps on two children, but Godzilla runs up and most likely stomps on them first. Mechagodzilla was just odd, he stood and watched as a helicopter tore Titanosaurus' mind apart. He ended up losing because he didn't shoot it fast enough. I liked the 1974 movie better. But it's good they added another dinosaur with a funny sense of humor.

Those are my thoughts. They contain spoilers so don't read unless you've run out of savings to buy, or at least rent it.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Everyone here’s already seen all the movies, no need for spoilers.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:43 am

Or isn't concerned with spoilers if they haven't.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”