Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:19 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:This movie has IMHO the absolute greatest entrance of Godzilla in any movie.

Agreed 100%.

Agreed 1000000%. Whenever I think of Godzilla this scene immediately comes to mind.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

GojiDog
Interpol Agent

Postby GojiDog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:21 am

Maybe its because I'm a fan of John Williams and 80s cartoons, but I like repetitive scores.

Basically, I like having "themes" for the characters and musical motifs running throughout the score.

Ifukube repeated himself ALOT, but his music always helps to make those moments with the monsters stand out more.

Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am

I like the ToMG score a lot myself. It's the first movie since the original to use the "Godzilla theme", which is important because in 1954 that theme was associated with the JSDF, not Godzilla. ToMG was the first to introduce that theme as Godzilla's theme.
Last edited by Kaiju-King42 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GojiDog
Interpol Agent

Postby GojiDog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I like the ToMG score a lot myself. It's the first movie since the original to use the "Godzilla theme", which is important because in 1954 that theme was associated with the JSDF, not Godzilla. ToMG was the first to introduce that theme as Godzilla's theme.

Yes and in my internal analysis of the movie (cause, ya know, I do that), I took that as a symbolic meaning.

In the original movie, that theme was associated with the JSDF, the good guys and the underdogs. In the final movie, which depicts Godzilla openly working in tandem with the JSDF and protecting Japan, Godzilla now has that theme. Musical indication that Godzilla is now a good guy too, as well as the underdog since he's going up against two monsters this time.

I guarantee that Ifukube nor the people involved in the movie intended this, but hey, I'm a nerd that likes to overthink muh kaiju movies, lol.

Now the Heisei series took that mental nugget of mine and threw it out the window, but hey.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:40 am

So, can anyone provide more insight into my original question about Manda in that montage? Other than they had the footage of the monorail destruction? Mostly because I don't know if that's really an answer, given they also had footage of Gigan, Hedorah and possible even Gaira?

Not complaining about Manda's inclusion, I just always felt it was very weak comparatively to Rodan and Ghidorah.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am

Maritonic wrote:So, can anyone provide more insight into my original question about Manda in that montage? Other than they had the footage of the monorail destruction? Mostly because I don't know if that's really an answer, given they also had footage of Gigan, Hedorah and possible even Gaira?

Not complaining about Manda's inclusion, I just always felt it was very weak comparatively to Rodan and Ghidorah.

Always found Manda an odd choice, but, then, by that period in history, it also seems strange to have included Rodan, who by then was pretty solidly a "good guy" monster.

While, yes, they had lots of footage of other monsters wrecking cities, I'm hard-pressed to think of individual images of most of those monsters that would have been as dynamic looking as the shots they chose.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:22 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:So, can anyone provide more insight into my original question about Manda in that montage? Other than they had the footage of the monorail destruction? Mostly because I don't know if that's really an answer, given they also had footage of Gigan, Hedorah and possible even Gaira?

Always found Manda an odd choice, but, then, by that period in history, it also seems strange to have included Rodan, who by then was pretty solidly a "good guy" monster.

While, yes, they had lots of footage of other monsters wrecking cities, I'm hard-pressed to think of individual images of most of those monsters that would have been as dynamic looking as the shots they chose.

Agreed on Rodan, but the footage they use is great. I feel like they could have even used Mechagodzilla footage from the first film. I don't know, Manda just ALWAYS feels weird. I know the monorail is a cool shot but, Gigan next to a city in flames? Hedorah engulfing a smoke stack? Gaira destroying an airport? All feel far more fierce than bye bye monorail.

That's why I wasn't sure if there was some sort of behind-the-scenes reason I wasn't privy to.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:25 am

Behind-the-scenes, I guess it's possible Manda's raid was used due to it being set in broad daylight (Like Ghidorah and Rodan's) and being the only really usable Godzilla-related monster (So no Gaira) that Honda had involvement with (So no Hedorah, as fitting as he would have been).

In-film, kind of surprised nobody's simply theorized that the Manda seen in DAM (Presumably different from the one in Atragon) attacked at some point prior to TOMG. Makes more sense than Katsura referencing the events of Atragon, anyways.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:27 am

MaxRebo320 wrote:Behind-the-scenes, I guess it's possible Manda's raid was used due to it being set in broad daylight (Like Ghidorah and Rodan's) and being the only really usable Godzilla-related monster (So no Gaira) that Honda had involvement with (So no Hedorah, as fitting as he would have been).

In-film, kind of surprised nobody's simply theorized that the Manda seen in DAM (Presumably different from the one in Atragon) attacked at some point prior to TOMG. Makes more sense than Katsura referencing the events of Atragon, anyways.

A. It never even remotely skreeonking clicked that technically that scene doesn't canonically occur before Terror of Mechagodzilla. That scene bothers me 5 times more now.

B. That's an interesting theory that I also never considered.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:36 am

Granted, it's still a little puzzling from an in-universe perspective when even if Manda attacked prior to TOMG, I doubt it did a whole lot of damage in comparison to say Hedorah, Gigan or even Gaira, but who knows, maybe Katsura was there when it happened.

Rodan's inclusion is maybe a bit weird too when you consider he was by that point a "good" monster, but considering there were Rodan attacks in 1956 and 196X that caused lots of destruction and took plenty of lives, I can certainly see much of mankind not taking too kindly to the winged beast.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GojiDog
Interpol Agent

Postby GojiDog » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 am

I suspect that it was probably Honda's choice to use Manda since he was familiar with him, and Manda was included in the Godzilla series previously.

Gigan, Hedorah, Mechagodzilla, and various others would "work better", but Honda didn't direct movies including those monsters, so he probably didn't know what to pull from. But he knew Rodan, King Ghidorah, and Manda.

LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LegendZilla » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:18 pm

^Honda likely felt that no Godzilla movie was truly canonical unless it was directed by him.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:24 pm

LegendZilla wrote:^Honda likely felt that no Godzilla movie was truly canonical unless it was directed by him.

Honda didn't give a poop one way or another.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:01 pm

LegendZilla wrote:^Honda likely felt that no Godzilla movie was truly canonical unless it was directed by him.

We don't know what he felt..... plus I doubt he cared at this point in terms of canon. (If the canon was even talked about at all during the Showa Era).
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 pm

If we’re gonna throw around wild guesses how’s this:

The Manda footage comes from DAM, where a lot of of the Rodan footage was pulled from. That’s a lot easier work for the editor than to pull out footage from Hedorah or Gigan; it’s not like they were popping a DVD in, there was a lot more manual work done for this 10-second sequence. I’m sure they were looking for shortcuts like this to save time and resources.

szmigiel
Interpol Agent

Postby szmigiel » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:20 am

I could make a joke about how they wanted to continue to use as much DAM footage as possible, just to confuse canon and continuity debates among hardcore fans. DAM footage made it's way into all but 2 of the Champion Festival films. Most likely they choose scenes where the film quality and lighting matched up as best as possible.

This movie featured a disgraced scientist that was laughed out of his profession, because 15 years earlier he said he found a living dinosaur. That would of been 1960 after Godzilla, Anguirus, Rodan, and Varan all appeared if you are trying to make a constant Showa timeline and continuity. Not to mention all the monsters that appear in the next 5 years, you would think his theories would have been vindicated already. It is much easier to view all the Champion Festival films in a separate continuity. But that is harder for fans to do then trying to figure out how all the Champion Festival films fit in before DAM, and how the Moon returns after being destroyed by Gorath.

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 am

szmigiel wrote:This movie featured a disgraced scientist that was laughed out of his profession, because 15 years earlier he said he found a living dinosaur.

That's not really why he was disgraced though.

Tsuda wrote:Twenty years ago he was a top scientist, even more brilliant than the rest. He advanced too far for them and then, when they didn't understand him, they threw him out.

Professor Ota wrote:Dr. Mafune was a resident researcher here, specializing in biology. Early in his thirties, he published his theory of underwater exploration. The underwater ranch plan attracted worldwide attention. He began experiments researching complete control over animals, but the experiment was not quite successful. Then one day, he reported discovery of a dinosaur in the ocean bed off the Ogasawara Islands. The professor named that dinosaur Titanosaurus and announced that he would control it. That cost him his career as a scientist. It was just fifteen years ago that he quit this institution. Well, I would say he was fired.

Professor Ota wrote:Do humans have the right to have the power to control animals scientifically? Even now, I definitely disagree.

Mugal also asks Dr. Mafune to help with Mechagodzilla, "particularly with the whole problem of control."

It does get complicated concerning Ichinose, however, as he seems more interested in finding Titanosaurus than controlling it. But still, I think the idea was that, having found a dinosaur or not, Mafune was labeled a lunatic when he started trying to control other lifeforms. This is what makes it a tragedy when his revenge requires the spacemen to install his control device in his daughter.

Also, just a note: the two Professor Ota lines are from subtitles. The other lines are from the dubbed version and I didn't think they were significantly different than the subtitled dialogue.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:23 pm

Terasawa wrote:It does get complicated concerning Ichinose, however, as he seems more interested in finding Titanosaurus than controlling it. But still, I think the idea was that, having found a dinosaur or not, Mafune was labeled a lunatic when he started trying to control other lifeforms. This is what makes it a tragedy when his revenge requires the spacemen to install his control device in his daughter.

I tend to view Ichinose being on a somewhat misguided journey, with him THINKING Titanosaurus was the reason for Mafune's reputation (And of course him being a marine biologist, an aquatic dinosaur would of course excite him greatly), when in actuality it was more the terrifying mind-controlling experiments.

Mechagigan
EDF Soldier

Postby Mechagigan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:28 pm

Canon was more flexible in the Showa days. In all honesty, I think the fact the movies tie together at all is more a result of coincidence and circumstance than anything. People didn't get to watch each installment one-after-another; there was no form of home video, after all. The Showa movies, thus, depend less on recurring logic than the Heisei or modern ones.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:13 pm

Now I just have this hilarious mental image of Katsura's callbacks using more 'appropriate' monsters:

Katsura wrote:"Surely you don't mean you'd release the disaster monsters again. Like King Ghidrah..."

[Clip: Ghidorah blasting Tokyo apart.]

"...Mighty Gigan..."

[Clip: Gigan screeching in front of a burning Tokyo.]

"...And terrible Megalon."

[Clip: Megalon waving his arms like a spaz and bouncing around aimlessly in the countryside.]
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”