Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
Shoe Yeti
Ronin
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Shoe Yeti » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:38 am

This was a good film. The human story was interesting, especially the story around Katsura. The city destruction scenes were awesome and Titanosaurus was an interesting new monster.

It is too bad the Showa series ended after this film because the Mechagodzilla films were evidence that the series was improving after a string of lesser movies.

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4591
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby GigaBowserG » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:19 pm

Well, for those who ever wanted a follow-up to this movie, your wish has been granted: viewtopic.php?f=28&p=1508930
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4944
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:42 pm

GigaBowserG wrote:Well, for those who ever wanted a follow-up to this movie, your wish has been granted: https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1508930

I saw that in The Big Book of Japanese Monster Movies: The Lost Films ; its a pretty cool follow up.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.


"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
Futurian
Posts: 1651
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: Le kinoplex locale

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:29 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I saw that in The Big Book of Japanese Monster Movies: The Lost Films ; its a pretty cool follow up.


Speaking of that book, is it any good?
"It wouldn't be a true Godzilla film, if you didn't touch upon those things," says Dougherty. "Otherwise you're just making a big dumb giant monster movie. There has to be a sprinkle of it, otherwise you're not being faithful to the original intent of the series. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not a true Godzilla fan."


Il n'y a pas de plus profonde solitude que celle de kinnaisseur si ce n'est celle d'un auteur dans Toho Studios... peut-être...

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4944
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:39 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I saw that in The Big Book of Japanese Monster Movies: The Lost Films ; its a pretty cool follow up.


Speaking of that book, is it any good?

Its excellent; a pretty good read with tons of info. (The best of the info is from the Showa Era ;) )
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.


"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

User avatar
Terasawa
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 917
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Terasawa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:36 pm

This is one of my favorite Godzilla movies, but -unpopular opinion time- I don't like Akihiko Hirata's interpretation of the Mafune character. He's way too over the top here. I wish he'd played a much more reserved version of the character -preferably without the awful fright wig- or switched roles with someone.

Mafune is supposed to be a once-respected scientist who pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable before his peers finally threw him out of the OEI. Yes, he was isolated and planned revenge for 15 years, but I feel like the old mad scientist archetype is wrong for the character. I think Hirata would have been much better off playing Mafune as a bitter (but not crazy) middle-aged man* who had finally found a path to revenge through his alien benefactors. This would serve three purposes. One: Hirata wouldn't lose face as he does for playing it so broadly. Two: Maybe this way the audience could generate some sympathy for Mafune, as he was right about Titanosaurus and being able to control it. Three: Katsura's death and rebirth as an emotionless alien cyborg would be even more tragic.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10133
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby eabaker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:59 pm

Terasawa wrote:This is one of my favorite Godzilla movies, but -unpopular opinion time- I don't like Akihiko Hirata's interpretation of the Mafune character. He's way too over the top here. I wish he'd played a much more reserved version of the character -preferably without the awful fright wig- or switched roles with someone.

Mafune is supposed to be a once-respected scientist who pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable before his peers finally threw him out of the OEI. Yes, he was isolated and planned revenge for 15 years, but I feel like the old mad scientist archetype is wrong for the character. I think Hirata would have been much better off playing Mafune as a bitter (but not crazy) middle-aged man* who had finally found a path to revenge through his alien benefactors. This would serve three purposes. One: Hirata wouldn't lose face as he does for playing it so broadly. Two: Maybe this way the audience could generate some sympathy for Mafune, as he was right about Titanosaurus and being able to control it. Three: Katsura's death and rebirth as an emotionless alien cyborg would be even more tragic.


I also rank it among my favorites (and Hirata among my favorites of the series regulars), and I agree with everything you say here. Mafune could have been one of the most engaging, memorable characters of the later Showa era, but by far his most emotional moment in the movie is a series of sepia-tinted stills.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5183
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Alright so, chose to rewatch this instead of watching City on the Edge of Battle tonight and this was the very first time the irony of the disbelief in a dinosaur bothered me.

Still, this is definitely Top 10, possibly Top 5 for me.

Though, can anyone shed some light on this possibly? During Katsura's speech about Titanosaurus, she mentions how he'll join the likes of King Ghidorah, Rodan and Manda. My question is...why in the hell Manda? He destroys a bridge in Destroy All Monsters. That's about it, and the Gotengo but so? Why not Gigan or Hedorah? Hell, even Baragon in Destroy All Monsters at least he hits a monument.

Anyone got any behind the scenes knowledge into why they picked Manda for that?
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5204
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Maritonic wrote:Though, can anyone shed some light on this possibly? During Katsura's speech about Titanosaurus, she mentions how he'll join the likes of King Ghidorah, Rodan and Manda. My question is...why in the hell Manda? He destroys a bridge in Destroy All Monsters. That's about it, and the Gotengo but so? Why not Gigan or Hedorah? Hell, even Baragon in Destroy All Monsters at least he hits a monument.

Anyone got any behind the scenes knowledge into why they picked Manda for that?


They probably chose monsters than had good stock footage of city destruction from the 60s. The vast majority of city destruction scenes in those days were from Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah. There wasn't much else to choose. Gorosaurus' destruction scene lasts only a few seconds, King Kong was the property of Universal, Mothra was considered a benevolent monster, Varan was in black and white, Baragon only attacks a village, etc.

But Manda had a nice lengthily scene in Destroy All Monsters involving the monorail.
Last edited by Kaiju-King42 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Grasper
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Though, can anyone shed some light on this possibly? During Katsura's speech about Titanosaurus, she mentions how he'll join the likes of King Ghidorah, Rodan and Manda. My question is...why in the hell Manda? He destroys a bridge in Destroy All Monsters. That's about it, and the Gotengo but so? Why not Gigan or Hedorah? Hell, even Baragon in Destroy All Monsters at least he hits a monument.

Anyone got any behind the scenes knowledge into why they picked Manda for that?


They probably chose monsters than had good stock footage of city destruction from the 60s. The vast majority of city destruction scenes in those days were from Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah. There wasn't much else to choose. Gorosaurus' destruction scene lasts only a few seconds, King Kong was the property of Universal, Mothra was considered a benevolent monster, Varan was in black and white, Baragon only attacks a village, etc.

But Manda had a nice lengthily scene in Destroy All Monsters involving the monorail.


I actually just thought of another good reason. Thanks to Mu and the Xilliens, all three monsters are also ones who were controlled into attacking cities, which is especially relevant when you consider Katsura is conflicted about unleashing Titantosaurus.

Added in 2 minutes 48 seconds:
and before anyone says anything, yeah, I know Ghidorah would have done it anyway but the point still stands.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2018

Online
User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4939
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:00 pm

This movie has IMHO the absolute greatest entrance of Godzilla in any movie.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5183
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:06 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Though, can anyone shed some light on this possibly? During Katsura's speech about Titanosaurus, she mentions how he'll join the likes of King Ghidorah, Rodan and Manda. My question is...why in the hell Manda? He destroys a bridge in Destroy All Monsters. That's about it, and the Gotengo but so? Why not Gigan or Hedorah? Hell, even Baragon in Destroy All Monsters at least he hits a monument.

Anyone got any behind the scenes knowledge into why they picked Manda for that?


They probably chose monsters than had good stock footage of city destruction from the 60s. The vast majority of city destruction scenes in those days were from Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah. There wasn't much else to choose. Gorosaurus' destruction scene lasts only a few seconds, King Kong was the property of Universal, Mothra was considered a benevolent monster, Varan was in black and white, Baragon only attacks a village, etc.

But Manda had a nice lengthily scene in Destroy All Monsters involving the monorail.


Gigan and Hedorah definitely have longer and more impactful scenes than Manda. Same with Gaira, actually, with the airport.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Grasper
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:50 am

LegendZilla wrote:This movie has IMHO the absolute greatest entrance of Godzilla in any movie.


Agreed 100%.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2018

User avatar
Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5183
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:56 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:This movie has IMHO the absolute greatest entrance of Godzilla in any movie.


Agreed 100%.


I love everything about Godzilla's personality in this. His entrance, his kicking the dirt off his shoulders, tossing Mechagodzilla's head aside, the angle at which they shot the suit giving his eyes that pissed off sort of look, but still making him heroic. This is arguably my favorite characterization of Godzilla from the 70's.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Grasper
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:01 am

Maritonic wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:This movie has IMHO the absolute greatest entrance of Godzilla in any movie.


Agreed 100%.


I love everything about Godzilla's personality in this. His entrance, his kicking the dirt off his shoulders, tossing Mechagodzilla's head aside, the angle at which they shot the suit giving his eyes that pissed off sort of look, but still making him heroic. This is arguably my favorite characterization of Godzilla from the 70's.


Again, agree 100%. Godzilla in this film is easily the best heroic Godzilla, right there with Legendary.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2018

GojiDog
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby GojiDog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:21 am

Anyone else get a Frank Miller Batman vibe from Godzilla's entrance? Its just so freaking awesome.

But yeah, Terror of MG is one of my personal favorites. Having Honda back in the director's chair seemed to class things up a bit, and it felt like a bit of a return to the Golden age in the 60s but still keeping Godzilla in the superhero role.

I often point to this movie as an example of how to have a compelling kaiju film with a heavy focus on the human or non-monster characters. Katsura and Dr. Mafune rank up there as two of the more interesting characters the franchise has ever produced.

I also kind of liked growing up with the heavily edited US version and then getting the unedited version on later DVD releases. In the edited cut, they made it look like "love broke the spell", Katsura was freed, and Mechagodzilla was left inactive. I guess that kind of works when you're a kid and you grow up on Disney movies. As I got older and I found the unedited version, it completely changed the ending for me, and it felt like I was watching the movie for the first time all over again.

User avatar
Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5183
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:31 am

GojiDog wrote:Anyone else get a Frank Miller Batman vibe from Godzilla's entrance? Its just so freaking awesome.


You know, I never realized this, but you're actually right. The whole pissed off but heroic Godzilla thing kinda has a Batman vibe in general.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

User avatar
Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5180
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Godzillian » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:45 am

So I brought up in another thread that I find this film overrated and it got buried. I'll just list a few of the reasons I feel that way here
-extremely uneven special effects. We get some stellar shots especially of Titanosaurus and we also get a Titano and Mechag knee deep in cities
-rather boring characters, sure what they do is interesting but they have no personality
-Katsura is bland and we only really see her as the girl she was in a flashback
-Mafuna isn't all that sympathetic if anything he is the opposite
-Godzilla is basically an after thought in the film and feels more like he is in by obligation
-Mechag is also an after thought. There is no real problem with Titano being the focus, it just comes of as more its movie than one of the other two kaiju
-One of Ifukubes weaker and more repetitive scores
I can go on but I'll stop here
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5183
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 am

Godzillian wrote:So I brought up in another thread that I find this film overrated and it got buried. I'll just list a few of the reasons I feel that way here
-extremely uneven special effects. We get some stellar shots especially of Titanosaurus and we also get a Titano and Mechag knee deep in cities
-rather boring characters, sure what they do is interesting but they have no personality
-Katsura is bland and we only really see her as the girl she was in a flashback
-Mafuna isn't all that sympathetic if anything he is the opposite
-Godzilla is basically an after thought in the film and feels more like he is in by obligation
-Mechag is also an after thought. There is no real problem with Titano being the focus, it just comes of as more its movie than one of the other two kaiju
-One of Ifukubes weaker and more repetitive scores
I can go on but I'll stop here


While I agree that the shots of Titanosaurus and Mechagodzilla knee deep in cities is jarring, I always found it added to the imposing nature of the characters. But I definitely see your point on this.

Mafune is definitely not sympathetic, but I'm not sure he was intended to be? I always perceived him as sort of a mad crazy doctor who was too far down the rabbit hole. Him being cast out of society, I read more as just because he seemed crazy. Not his insistence that there were dinosaurs, as he claimed. When it comes to Katsura being bland, hmm, well I guess this is just personal taste I never found her bland. But I think the idea of a human telepathically controlling Titanosaurus kinda overshadows anything else so I'm willing to admit a bias I have here.

When it comes to Mechagodzilla and Godzilla being afterthoughts, I think this was sort of the intention as well. Godzilla only shows up when Titanosaurus shows up in the city, and that fight ends quick, and again when Mechagodzilla and Titanosaurus are laying waste to Tokyo. He's this hero who shows up to save the day, so his lack of screen time I really thought worked so well here and amplified his heroism. Whereas he's sort of always at the forefront of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, which makes him sort of a campier hero. Mechagodzilla, when he finally activates, unleashes hell on Tokyo leveling full city blocks. So, again I kind of think this was all the intention.

Completely 100% agree on the Ifukube score, though; it feels slow, tired (not as in boring, but like the score FEELS tired) and it's very repetitive. So no disagreement there.

Not trying to tell you your wrong in your opinion, of course. I can see where you're coming from on all of your points.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

Online
User avatar
LegendZilla
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4939
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Postby LegendZilla » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:02 am

^I hate to admit it, but Ifukube was ALWAYS a bit repetitive in every film he scored.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests