Talkback: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Re: Talkback Thread #15: Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Post by he-ba »

I hate Netflix. Everything I look for they don't have. It's like HBO. They show Godzilla movies for months, so I sign up for a while, and all I get are stupid modern party movies. Even Amazon doesn't have EVERYTHING, but at least it has many things plus very cheap rentals.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I know where to find ToMG in French. Go figure.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Space Hunter M wrote:I know where to find ToMG in French. Go figure.
i was thinking the same thing: north korea. the basin of freedom; their national food is the funnel cake.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Decided to rewatch this film and give it another try since it was always my least favorite Godzilla film and I must say it's better then I have given it credit for. The characters are much more enjoyable, the plot moves pretty quick, and the atmosphere compliments the films serious tone. However it does have some sloppy editing and the score (IMO) is weak compared to other Ifukube scores and some of the effects are a bit jarring (the knee deep city shot of Titano and Mechag during their rampage). I now look at the film with a better light and have more appreciation for it.

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla Lover101 »

I actually think the score is one of his best. :P They may reuse and remixed the same tracks over and over throughout the film, but compared to some other films, I think the score is spot on. Fits the film and tone perfectly. Then again, all his scores are great.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Glad to hear someone else enjoys this film. What cut did you watch? American or Japanese? Editing on the Japanese cut feels better, but the special effects are still somewhat hit-and-miss, and it's one of Ifukube's weakest score. Still good, but compared to his others...
This is among my favorite Showa G films. I love the score even if it is recycled - I think the score is actually why I like the movie as much as I do.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I watched the Japanese version as previously I have only watched the American cut. The Japanese version is much better.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I like the Japanese version better, but the intro sequence on the English version is just so cool.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

20th Century Boy wrote:I like the Japanese version better, but the intro sequence on the English version is just so cool.
There are no less than four different main English versions though.

he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Post by he-ba »

I liked the intro, but I feel like it had a lack of representation of all of the Showa films. I think it would be a lot better had they had at least a scene from each Godzilla movie up to that point.
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I really do need to give this one another try. It feels a little lonely realizing I'm more or less alone in not caring at all for this one...

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Pkmatrix wrote:I really do need to give this one another try. It feels a little lonely realizing I'm more or less alone in not caring at all for this one...
it had the tone, the characters, the monsters, and the pacing, it captures the essence of neo-Godzilla (a fighting monster, not a nuclear allegory) and does not bore the audience.

yes. yes you do need to watch it again. ;)
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

It's the kind of film that makes you sad the series ended. That's a good movie.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

he-ba wrote:I liked the intro, but I feel like it had a lack of representation of all of the Showa films. I think it would be a lot better had they had at least a scene from each Godzilla movie up to that point.
...come again?

three
Keizer

Post by three »

lets try something new:

what other Showa movie do you think this is the anti thesis for?

for example, Mothra vs. Godzilla shows you the matriarchal side of a monster. they can protect; they're not all bad.

in this movie, i think the polar opposite is shown. whether or not the monsters are saving the day, they're leveling everything; none are good. and the fact that Katsura had a brain panel in her suggests that their value is inside of us; not in that philosophical sense that monsters are inherently human, but that we can define them or choose not to. the fact that an otherwise peaceful monster in Titanosaurus was perverted and turned on the human race is a testament to the good/evil of human beings, but to how a monster is always a monster, no matter what our beliefs or intentions are.

thoughts? comparisons?

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

I like this film but I don't really LOVE it. It has some really cool shots, Godzilla's entrance, Godzilla and Titanosaurus's face off. I'll give it this, the human element was a pretty big improvement over the previous 70's films. The music is pretty good, as expected by Ifukube, I love the return of the Godzilla theme, it fit so well with Godzilla's enteance.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I feel like this movie really redeems the later shows era. Anyone else think so?
Resized Image

Godzilla The King
Futurian

Post by Godzilla The King »

Beef Bigshot wrote:I feel like this movie really redeems the later shows era. Anyone else think so?
Both Mechagodzilla films do it for me.
CaptainStarbird wrote:
gigan72 wrote:MMMMM, HEISEI
-fatass bodies
-big thighs
-some undersized arms
-beam spam
-a mans ass
-messed up timeline
MAKES ME HORNY
UNLIKE THOSE ANOREXIC SHOWA MODELS!
CaptainStarbird wrote: "Look under your chair for a gift, it's a bitchslap!"

Godzilla Lover101
Gotengo Officer

Beef Bigshot wrote:I feel like this movie really redeems the later shows era. Anyone else think so?
It makes you wish there were more Showa films.

Presto
Ronin

Post by Presto »

I'm surprised they ended the series with this one. It was far from the worst. At least it went out on a good note.