First off I want to say ThunderScore... SWEET ASS PIC! I have not seen a Bionic Monster ad since the whole thing first was introduced WAY back in the mid seventies.
THIS... this is one of my absolutely favorite Godzilla films!
I used to dislike MG as a kid... For me because it had been done with Kong (Mechakong - KKE) and seemed like such a rip off of that!
Once I was over that hump and actually gave it a go as a maturing teen... I found this was a VERY fun and (for me) exciting story.
Usually I will start with the cast of such films... but this time I will start off with the Kaiju
He is awesome. I could care less if people dislike his heroic mode or not. I think he is just incredible in this film. His entrance in this film is actually kind of spectacular. The way he just pops up sizes up this "Other" (fake) Godzilla and the two kick into high combat mode to his overall resilience in the MG onslaught with everything scene. He is just so amazingly cool! I also LOVE this suit. I know a lot of people don't think this is either his best or his worst. But this is one of my personal favorites (Next to the DAM+ suits).
Plus he does that visually cool looking electromagnetic lighting rod thing on Monster Island.ANGUIRUS:
From his Siberian winter intro at the beginning and his unseen underground travel... to his confrontation with MG's fake Godzilla shell... VERY cool
... He plugs away as only Anguirus does! I am kinda disappointed that his defeat in this film so mirrors his first defeat (GRA). But that must have been some sort of homage thing. Anguirus deserved to be in other Godzilla films after this one and I don't mean just that awful FW one.
This was also the first time that another Kaiju actually battled a foe of Godzilla's alone before Godzilla had a chance to engage, meet or even know of his existence. (No I do not count Mothra's battle with KG in GtGHM). Anguirus took him on and met with a pretty brutal defeat (that if he had not fled... I am sure he would have perished).KING CAESAR:
A bit muppety looking in the face for my tastes (here is what I think he should look MORE like in my Guardian7's Gallery - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=639&start=0
). I wouldn't have minded seeing him biting and clawing more effectively... and running on all fours. His ability to reflect energy is a little on the bizarre side (I would have rather he had a sonic roar or some such).
The unfortunate thing about KC is he seemed less equipped to deal with MG than Anguirus was.
He was basically ineffective against MG...MECHAGODZILLA:
As stated... I was not very happy with the premises of him... Due to the KKE MechaKong. But once I actually paid attention, I discovered how much cooler MG was compared to his cybernetic Apish brethren.
Mechagodzilla is the ultimate weapons spammer - beam - missiles - etc.
How cool?THIS COOL!AWESOME!!!
The SHOWA Mechagodzilla is probably my favorite Godzilla villain.
Beautiful design and cool as hell story (SHAME on them for EVER taking the Alien background story away from him in much later films).CAST
- Both human and inhuman...
AZUMI Family:Prophet/Princess Nami Azumi (Beru-Bera Lin)
- Though in a sense a important secondary character. I really for some reason liked her. She had a very serene quality about her and she was quite pretty. If that was INDEED her voice, She then had talent there as well.
Her appearance is this film was crucial for awakening the Azumi Guardian King Caesar.Azumi High Priest (Masao Imafuku)
- he came off a little over the top. Almost like something out of a then Anime. He was amusing to me when I am not sure he was suppose to be. His protective nature over his Granddaughter was VERY apparent.Gosuke Shimizu (Masaaki Daimon)
- I really felt Gosuke was a very solid character! He was what seemed a successful buisnessman, He had both a very serious and a humourous side. I even liked what appeared to me as the apparent attraction (who could blame him!) to Saeko Kaneshiro (Reiko Tajima). He was also brave when he not only fought the Black Hole Alien (Simeon to some) at his Uncle Professor Wagura's (Hiroshi Koizumi) place, but also when he did the same thing on the ship. GREAT CHARACTER! Very likable.Masahiko Shimizu (Kazuya Aoyama)
- I am not exactly sure what Masahiko's role was... Good looking guy that didn't do much? BRAVE as his brother Gosuke... but certainly not as endearing of a character. He was the action guy it seemed for the film's ending.Saeko Kaneshiro (Reiko Tajima)
- Okinawa's Shuri University's archeology department investigator. She plays a pretty vital role in unraveling the mystery of the King Caesar. Her character plays extremely well against Masahiko's and I really LOVED the chemistry between these two! It certainly doesn't hurt that she was easily this film's eye-candy! I think she played the entirety of her role beautifully. One of my all time favorite Female characters in a Godzilla film.Professor Wagura (Hiroshi Koizumi)
- My FAVORITE Toho actor! His part in this film was very well done. I wished he had continued to play a larger part in it. BUT... once he had helped unravel the mystery of KC with his assistant Saeko, His role was pretty much over as the younger actors started their domino run til the end of the film.Professor Hideto Miyajima (Akihiko Hirata)
- What a cool scientist Hirata played YET once again! He helped launch Godzilla's career as the dark brooding Doctor Daisuke Serizawa and ended his part in it with the wicked smart adventurous Professor Hideto Miyajima. Seems rather full circle for him and Godzilla!
All of that aside the character in this particular film is very cool. Smart enough to know how to fix Mechagodzilla when the Aliens either can't or aren't smart enough to do it without his help.
I really thought he was such an excellent choice for this role and did a more than marvelous job. It was actually his actions that helped lead to the downfall of a Mechagodzilla that may have been unstoppable without his interference.Eiko Miyajima (Hiromi Matsushita)
- Professor Miyajima's daughter... She played her part well enough I suppose. She was a total victim in this film and a tool to be used against Prof. Miyajima. Seemed Masahiko had the potential hots for her... which would have made them a perfect fit. TWO 2-dimensional characters falling for one another. My least favorite character in the film.Nanbara, Interpol Agent Nanbara (Shin Kishida)
- I loved this character. He was also kinda over the top (like the earlier mentioned Azumi High Priest)... But in such a fun way.
He was a total Johnny on the Spot kind of agent. Just seemed to be exactly where he needed to be (fortunately for the ENTIRE cast!).
His attitude and manner were not only amusing... but kind of cool. Easily one of my all time favorite characters from a Godzilla film. I wish he could have appeared in ToMG!
FINALLY we get to Kuronuma, Black Hole Alien Leader (Goro Mutsumi)
- What a great villain. So arrogantly confident you know he never felt he was ever going to lose against the silly little humans or that big lizard Godzilla (and his dog).
His predictable cruel and cunning manipulation of Prof. Miyajima using his daughter Eiko was well done.
He and his creation certainly had not only Godzilla, But King Caesar on the ropes as well. Miyajima screwed that up nicely and it almost seemed like Karma considering what Kuronuma had tried to do to the Good Prof., Eiko and Masahiko.The BLACK HOLE ALIENS
- though they do seem largely based on a Planet of the Apes kind of thing really is no biggie to me. Frankly I find the BHA more entertaining than the ones from PotA... but that is just me.
I liked the upon death transformations or partial transformations. I easily could have stood to learn even more about them. We really didn't... but I enjoyed the films nevertheless.AWESOME FILM!
... Buy it... Own it... Watch it frequently!
P.S. ummm did I say I was a huge fan of this film? ohhh okay!