Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Major sssspielberg!
Samurai

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm

This one used to be bottom of the barrel for me. I loved Terror of Mechagodzilla and not care for this one AT ALL. Hated Cesar, the blood, the damn dirty apes.
Then I skreeonkin watched it. For the first time since I was knee high to a Shobijin.
And I'll be damned if it's not some of Jun Fukuda's finest work. The monster fights. The intrigue. The skreeonkin soundtrack! There's just something about the pacing of it that makes this one kick ass. The worst thing I can say about Honda's films (which I generally prefer to Fukuda's work) is that they tend to drag at one point or the other. This movie just keeps moving!
And cherry on top is having Hiroshi Koizumi and Akihiko Hirata playing some older characters. Idk why but I really dug the three characters sacrificing themselves at the end also.
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.

:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:02 am

Major sssspielberg! wrote:This one used to be bottom of the barrel for me. I loved Terror of Mechagodzilla and not care for this one AT ALL. Hated Cesar, the blood, the damn dirty apes.
Then I skreeonkin watched it. For the first time since I was knee high to a Shobijin.
And I'll be damned if it's not some of Jun Fukuda's finest work. The monster fights. The intrigue. The skreeonkin soundtrack! There's just something about the pacing of it that makes this one kick ass. The worst thing I can say about Honda's films (which I generally prefer to Fukuda's work) is that they tend to drag at one point or the other. This movie just keeps moving!
And cherry on top is having Hiroshi Koizumi and Akihiko Hirata playing some older characters. Idk why but I really dug the three characters sacrificing themselves at the end also.

Hell Yeah!

Congratulations on "Seeing the Light" Brother.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by Grievous on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

G-Matt
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby G-Matt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:54 am

Happy 45th Anniversary to this kickass movie! :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 am

So I’m lagging and have to catch up quickly, but just watched this on my marathon towards KOTM. I’ll say a few things:

I think this movie is the best “introductory” film. It has a lot of monster action and a variety of types. It’s also the easiest to follow. Mechagodzilla is one of the few antaonigistic Kaiju/mechs executed well. He has a proper introduction and role in the story, and defeats other Kaiju, as well as fights Godzilla on equal terms. The film does well at having many different Kaiju sequences that are varied, such as the brief introduction sequences, MG destruction+VS Angurius, Mg vs Godzilla 1, MG vs King Ceaser and MG vs Godzilla+Ceaser. The fights are bloody and brutal, and contain a variety of melee and beams. So the film in terms of monster action is an A+.

Where the film crashes and burns horribly, however, is the main cast. What, you say? The main cast did a lot, and had a lot of people. Perhaps, too many. There’s group a with the archeologist woman and the other guy, and his uncle, and then there’s the group in Okinawa studying the space titanium and who also has an assistant and daughter. Let’s not forget then the two Okinawa azumi royal family ancestors. But then we also have the antagonist villain angents, and their leader. But also not one, but two Interpol agents. Let’s not forget that everyone mentioned, plays a vital role in the PLOT, of this film, but has zero development. This film has way too many characters, with their own individual stories. Had they cut down and condensed the cast it would’ve been better. Seriously, why do we need two Interpol agents? Or two scientists? And we know Jun Fukuda, and the cast is capable of a lot better due to Ebirah Horror of the Deep, soG and Godzilla vs Gigan. All three of those films had a lot of great human involvement and characters.

And with the exception of waking King Ceaser, and possibly the destruction of the base, none of the human characters interact or are important to the Kaiju plot, without superficial reasons. There’s no reason why the aliens couldn’t have just remade Mechagodzilla; why did they need a random scientists help, other then to forcibly raise the stakes and justify his role in the story? While Godzilla vs Megalon suffered from having nothing human wise, Godzilla cs Mechagodzilla has waaaay too much. It also doesn’t know who it wants the main protagonist of the human narrative is. Notice how quickly and poorly the early parts of the film intercut between characters who are only tangentially related, doing almost the same thing. One group discovers space titanium while the other discovers the prophecy.

One thing I have to give credit for though, is the parallel between MG, and the Interpol. While everyone can guess MG is the villain based on the poster, and as a result the fake out of the fake Godzilla isn’t so great, the revelation that the shadowy figures, the Interpol agents, aren’t the villains, make a great subversion of Mechagodzilla. Unfortunately it again contributes to the claustrophobia by too many groups and characters, but it’s a nice and clever detail. If is totally pointless though that there’s randomly a second agent though.

Overall, Godzilla vs MG, is probably the most SOLID Godzilla film. I think it’s the best, in the series, as being fun and approachable. It delivers on the monster action, and the human plot isn’t boring or hard to follow. However, I think it fails in a lot of ways in comparison to the greater entries in the series with more compelling human drama or zietgiests. In the end, this is essentially Godzilla vs Gigan/Megalon, with a way better budget and no stock footage. I get why people love this film or would say it’s rhere favorite, but I also see it’s gaping flaws.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”