Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback Thread #14: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Post by Rodan »

I find myself really agreeing with your post, ZARM. Though it ranks as one of my favorites personally, it certainly does feel stuck between the outright cartoonishness of the two preceding '70s films and the more conscientious, general-audience spectacle of the early '60s entries.
Indeed, whatever shortcomings this film may have, the effects work is not among them. not only is this colorful film a sumptuous visual treat on the order of the first Mothra film, the model work is excellent, with a variety of beams and rays (prefiguring the Heisei era to come), titanic explosions that really tear the refinery to bits, emphasizing Mechagodzilla’s power and creating a great battlefield of flames for his first confrontation with Godzilla, and various locales from cities to the countryside (with crumbling cliff) to a storm-wracked island to a subterranean base, are all convincingly staged. If there’s any weak point, it would be the aforementioned human-to-ape-alien transitions (sometimes accompanied by the needless and gruesome spraying of black blood)- but even they had an icky, grotesque effectiveness with the liquid-effect covering the stage-transitions of makeup.
All of this I agree with in particular. One of the film's great qualities no matter how unsure it may feel in other aspects is its sense of spectacle. I feel it nails that the best of any of the '70s films, and ranks among the best in the entire Showa series.

The human scenes are, unfortunately, a bit less tightly constructed than Honda's best entries. They're serviceable in vs. Mechagodzilla, but not as colorful and spectacular as the best special-effects sequences in the film, nor is the framing as clever. Honda snuck some unexpectedly excellent shots into Mothra vs. Godzilla even when there's no monster on screen.

Despite any of its shortcomings, though, this is never a film I can get through without smiling. I've only gotten positive reactions from group viewings too. And not with any sense of ironic detachment. It's just an infectiously good time.

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Zarm wrote:Take, for instance, King Caesar. The majority of this Godzilla-light movie is dedicated toward the aliens trying to prevent King Caesar from waking up, as if he’s the most significant monster threat on Earth. No real worries about Mothra, or Jet Jaguar, or Anguirus, or Rodan; no, King Caesar, who we- and the people of Earth- have never heard of before, somehow has an extraterrestrial reputation big and bad enough that the aliens consider it necessary to preemptively destroy him as their nearly-sole focus on the planet. And that’s partly because his ability to awaken other monsters could spell doom for Mechagodzilla.

When he wakes up, do you want to guess how many monsters he awakens? Exactly zero.
It would've made sense, given King Caesar's alleged summoning/resurrection powers, to have incorporated Earth's other monsters. At the very least, they could've had King Caesar summon a mystically healed Anguirus, who could've exacted some sweet vengeance; or maybe, the filmmakers should've had MechaGodzilla kill Godzilla, only for King Caesar to resurrect the King of the Monsters. MechaGodzilla was built to murder an army of monsters. It would've been quite the spectacle to see MechaGodzilla challenge the denizens of Monster Island.

Of course, the film's plot betrayed itself with that silly prophecy of there being only two monsters awakening to save the world. They should've nixed that subplot, or defied it entirely.

"King Caesar is summoning Monster Island!"

"B-but, the prophecy! It s-said there would only be t-two monsters!"

"Screw prophecies!"
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

It's been a hundred years since I watched this movie, but I have no recollection at all of anyone saying King Scissors was able to summon other kaiju.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

I don't have the exact time or quote, but the whole reason the alien leader wants the statue is because "we'll be in trouble if King Caesar brings other monsters to life" or at least that's what they (the aliens) believe.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

And again, it's just so hilarious that with a dozen or more *known* monsters, the aliens' sole focus is on preventing the rise of probably the most obscure (in-universe) kaiju of all time, who does absolutely nothing to justify the fear they have of him.

But yeah, summoning as island-worth of kaiju- or at least restoring the one whose suit we already saw, Anguirus- would have been great!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I suppose the filmmakers didn't want Anguirus in the big fight because three monsters were easier to deal with than four.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Billzilla1974 wrote:I don't have the exact time or quote, but the whole reason the alien leader wants the statue is because "we'll be in trouble if King Caesar brings other monsters to life" or at least that's what they (the aliens) believe.
Are you sure they weren't talking about the statue bringing other monsters to life? And "other monsters" here meaning "any other monster besides Godzilla, who we're already prepared for (in this case King Scissors)"? That would be significantly more consistent with what actually happens.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Definitely not what the subtitles said... but possibly what the original Japanese dialogue meant. Any translators here care to provide further insight...?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:I don't have the exact time or quote, but the whole reason the alien leader wants the statue is because "we'll be in trouble if King Caesar brings other monsters to life" or at least that's what they (the aliens) believe.
Are you sure they weren't talking about the statue bringing other monsters to life? And "other monsters" here meaning "any other monster besides Godzilla, who we're already prepared for (in this case King Scissors)"? That would be significantly more consistent with what actually happens.
Maybe, but the statue only blasted the hill King Kommunist was in, revealing him but not awakening him. Perhaps after Terror of Mechagodzilla the JSDF used either the statue or the kaiju to awaken the monsters we see in Destroy all monsters ( Varan and Baragon?)
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

It's a shame that this movie isn't out on dvd yet only by Sony and it's so expensive and hard to find. Is anyone else frustrated that this isn't out on dvd yet to add to their collection? :(

InnocentClarke
Yojimbo

Post by InnocentClarke »

Hellblaze wrote:It's a shame that this movie isn't out on dvd yet only by Sony and it's so expensive and hard to find. Is anyone else frustrated that this isn't out on dvd yet to add to their collection? :(
Sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do in order to watch the film. :P
--------------
Anyway, I think this one is one of my favourites from the era. MechaGodzilla's just cool, man. His introduction is clever and fresh, and hurting Angilas like that is about the best thing he could do to make me hate him. Strange to think that had Godzilla not had a really unfortunate night in the rain, he'd have gotten his shit fatally kicked in. I like the space apes more than the other alien races of the era, too. I dunno, they're just fun villains, especially with the smarmy prick of a leader they have. Let's see, it had both Akihiko Hirata and Hiroshi Koizumi, who are always a joy to see, great monster fights, a more appealing tone than several of the other 70s films, and King Caesar's theme always gets stuck in my head. It's a really fun time.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Hellblaze wrote:It's a shame that this movie isn't out on dvd yet only by Sony and it's so expensive and hard to find. Is anyone else frustrated that this isn't out on dvd yet to add to their collection? :(
Naw, not frustrated at all. I own the Sony DvD and its basically in mint condition :P
Gotta love that crystal clear picture
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I find it strange that this is my only Showa film I have in my Digital Download CinemaNow playlist.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I can't say that I am as I've had it amongst my collection for a number of years now.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

You guys are so lucky to get that dvd I hope they rerelease it hopefully by Kraken or Classic Media. Only one I need I got every other Godzilla dvd in my collection. Just hope I find one on ebay cheap but it will not be easy.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Classic Media were done with Toho stuff nearly a decade ago. Everyone thought Kraken would have picked this (and Son of Godzilla) up, but I guess that's not happening.

I really do sympathize with those who want a legit copy of this. I bought it in 2005 when it was brand new, but I think it's been OOP for at least 5 or 6 years.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

And there's still no re-release, dam it's been at least a decade since I've seen this movie and I remember really liking it.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Goji wrote:Classic Media were done with Toho stuff nearly a decade ago. Everyone thought Kraken would have picked this (and Son of Godzilla) up, but I guess that's not happening.

I really do sympathize with those who want a legit copy of this. I bought it in 2005 when it was brand new, but I think it's been OOP for at least 5 or 6 years.

Wow really? I thought with Kraken they would release Godzilla vs MG on dvd since they released the recent 85. I am hoping that company gets their hands on the movie and release it to dvd.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I find it funny that everyone is hectic to awaken King Caesar, while in the battle all he does is be a bullet sponge for Godzilla. (I dont remember if he does a good job at that).
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

I remember back when I was a child watching the English dub ,I would always put that scene where the gorilla man (black hole alien?) falls off the cruise ship on constant replay, even slow motion and sped up. I loved sound of him yelling as he plummeted into the sea, innocently enjoying him (probably) perish.

Man that's dark now that i think of it that way... :|
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image