Seven Samurai (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Seven Samurai (1954)

Post by eabaker »

Rody wrote:Okay; so maybe I understood after all.
Methinks I need to thin my thick head a little bit. :lol:

Moving on... I'm definitely growing a liking for actor Takashi Shimura. Between Ikiru, Seven Samurai, and Gojira, I am already noticing his knack for playing characters with remarkably different personalities, yet always coming across as a kind and loveable man.
One of my favorite performances of his is in Drunken Angel. Although Mifune's performance basically steals most of the attention, Shimura's quiet struggling is really powerful.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

God, I love this movie! The characters, the writing, the story, the action, the music, the acting, the cinematography, the pacing, the humor, the suspense-- everything about it is just so perfect! It's definitely in my top 10 favorite movies. I first saw it two years ago with only a limited amount of knowledge on who Akira Kurosawa was. Then I saw The Hidden Fortress last year, which was also good as hell. Then I saw Yojimbo just a few weeks ago during Hulu's free Criterion movies weekend, and it was also a blast to watch. Now I'm afraid to watch anymore Kurosawa movies, fearing that they might not be as good as these three! :?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

^There are a lot more that are right up there with those three.

If you're looking for depth and moral complexity, I'd recommend Drunken Angel, Stray Dog (with second unit material directed by Honda), Rashomon, Ikiru, The Bad Sleep Well, Red Beard, Dodeskaden, and Ran.

If you're looking for something more fun, in the vein of The Hidden Fortress and Yojimbo, then I'd say go for Sanjuro next.

And, for stylistic majesty, add Throne of Blood, High and Low, and Dreams to the list. (Also, do a little reading on Ishiro Honda's contributions to Kurosawa's later films, particularly Dreams.)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll probably end up seeing Throne of Blood next, since I'm going to read Macbeth in English class soon. The teacher recommended that we watch film adaptations to understand the story better, and my brother has the DVD, so I could just borrow it from him. It IS an adaptation of Macbeth, isn't it? (I'd feel stupid if it wasn't!)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

20th Century Boy wrote:Thanks for the recommendations! I'll probably end up seeing Throne of Blood next, since I'm going to read Macbeth in English class soon. The teacher recommended that we watch film adaptations to understand the story better, and my brother has the DVD, so I could just borrow it from him. It IS an adaptation of Macbeth, isn't it? (I'd feel stupid if it wasn't!)
It is, indeed. It's the most direct of Kurosawa's Shakespeare adaptations, which also include Ran (King Lear) and The Bad Sleep Well (Hamlet).

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Just finished watching the film minutes ago, and like everyone else, I adore this film. I've seen it before, but that was many years ago with my father, so watching it with a more mature perspective really escalated my love for THE SEVEN SAMURAI. I've seen 4 Kurosawa films now (RASHAMON, IKIRU, SEVEN SAMURAI, YOJIMBO) and while I'm hesitant to pick a favorite, I will say that this one is easily his best directed. (That I've seen anyway)
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Finally watched it. Hate to say it, but I loved this film WAY more than Gojira! (Shocking) I would definitely like to look at more of Kurosawa's films
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I wonder why you don't see people trying to connect all of Kurosawa's films into one big timeline?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I wonder why you don't see people trying to connect all of Kurosawa's films into one big timeline?
They're busy with the whole Godzilla series.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Just finished watching the film minutes ago, and like everyone else, I adore this film. I've seen it before, but that was many years ago with my father, so watching it with a more mature perspective really escalated my love for THE SEVEN SAMURAI. I've seen 4 Kurosawa films now (RASHAMON, IKIRU, SEVEN SAMURAI, YOJIMBO) and while I'm hesitant to pick a favorite, I will say that this one is easily his best directed. (That I've seen anyway)
I think if, gun to my head, I had to pick his four best (not my four favorites, but his four best), it would likely be that selection.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I also meant to ask. Are there any Kurosawa films as good as Seven Samurai you all can suggest?
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

godzilla98rules wrote:I also meant to ask. Are there any Kurosawa films as good as Seven Samurai you all can suggest?
I say check out the other 3 I've seen.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godzilla98rules wrote:I also meant to ask. Are there any Kurosawa films as good as Seven Samurai you all can suggest?
Definitely HIGH AND LOW. I also love RAN and DERSU UZALA (two of Kurosawa's later films).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I did check out THRONE OF BLOOD the other day, and that too is another excellent Kurosawa film. It is a telling of Shakespeare's MACBETH set in feudal Japan. (I do suggest reading a summary of MACBETH before the film if you're not familiar with the tale) The cast is amazing (Featuring a very young Akira Kubo!) and the ending...oh God that was shocking, especially for its time! Anyway, this is one to definitely check out. Oh, and with a spirit being featured, this technically makes it a Toho Sci-Fi film! :angel:

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

You really can't go wrong with Ikiru, Ran and Rashomon. In fact, I would even go as far as to say that Ikiru and Ran are even better films than Seven Samurai.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Caught a 35mm screening of Seven Samurai over the weekend, and, amazingly enough, I actually love the movie even more now than I did before. The compositions are so much better when viewed on that scale, the texture of the film is so rich, and good lord the performances pop even more. Plus, the reactions of a large crowd (many of whom didn't seem to have seen it before) add so much. One forgets that these things are made to be communal experiences.

I'm so accustomed to the movie, I'd kind of started forgetting how very, very funny it is. The crowd's laughter reminded me of just how much I not only appreciate the movie creatively and technically, but how much I just damned well enjoy.

That makes a total of five Kurosawa movies I've now had the opportunity to see screened. Not nearly enough, but it's a start...

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Random thought - I wonder if there is any significance in the fact that, of the four samurai who perish, three are felled by muskets, and only one, being Kikuchio, is killed in actual sword battle...?

20th Century Boy
Futurian

I'm pretty sure I remember Kikuchio dying from a musket shot.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yes, Kikuchio also dies of a musket shot. He's shot, and then goes after and kills the guy who shot him, before dying himself.

And, yes, there's a definite significance to it. Among the many philosophical and ethical conflicts in the movie, one is the clash between classical noble ideas and the cold pragmatism of a more modern age. Plus, the Samurai are pretty good with their swords.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

20th Century Boy wrote:I'm pretty sure I remember Kikuchio dying from a musket shot.
You're right; my mistake. :oops:

Another thing I liked was how abruptly the battle ended. Normally I wouldn't like this, but in this case I so drawn into what was happening that it went by very realistically, and suddenly it's over.
The movie does a superb job overall at presenting a story that feels very, very real.