Monster Discussin #7: Varan

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussin #7: Varan

Post by JVM »

I used to love this guy, but my interest has been waning for a while now. He's really not as remarkable as I used to make him out to be - he had one appearance in a crappy movie, and a five-second blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo in DAM that shouldn't even count. May have a cool design, but that's irrelevant.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussin #7: Varan

Post by TokyoVigilante »

He's got a great design, lots of potential for an interesting monster. His film is decent, just probably one of the worse pace of any film I've ever seen.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Mr. Clean
Yojimbo

Post by Mr. Clean »

Poor, poor Varan... It's really too bad Toho never utilized this potentially awesome kaiju. He's always fasinated me, as he has alot of fans it seems.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

I love the design of Varan, and Lamango has a point, this guy has been screwed out of so many movies. He never got a chance to really shine next to Godzilla on many occasions. I haven't seen Varan but I'm looking to watch the Japanese version soon.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Varan's got a nice design and a lot of potential, but has never has the chance to show it.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

He's really not that remarkable a critter. His titular film was a piece of crap - it just showed he doesn't have a lot of potential going for him. He has a cool design, but I think it's best he remains in the crypt of forgotten Toho monsters.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Just think about it... Varan was suposed to appear along side with Godzilla in the project "The Return of King Ghidorah", if this would have hapened as it was planned, he would probably have the role Anguirus is know today for... and we would probably be talking about Anguirus as "that obscure monster from that second movie"...

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

I think Varan has an awesome design. The way he moved in his maiden movie was very cool.

One thing I have always wondered about... why was their always wind storms when he appeared? Which would die out as soon as he disappeared?
Does it have anything to do with his power of flight?
Just seemed like whenever he appeared a "RODAN" Hurricane would pop up... well... in the forest scenes.

Awesome looking Kaiju... would be cool to see him and Anguirus in a movie together.

G7

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Varan isn't coming back.

Toho's made up their minds - stick to MechaGodzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. These days even Anguirus, Gigan and Rodan get the shaft, and there was a time when Rodan was Toho's fourth most popular monster.

And it's probably for the best - Varan had his chance and he sucked royally.

And he doesn't rival Bagan - Bagan was in three projects, Varan was in two. Not counting the TV version because it was still the same basic movie as we got.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Guardian7 wrote:One thing I have always wondered about... why was their always wind storms when he appeared? Which would die out as soon as he disappeared?
Does it have anything to do with his power of flight?
Just seemed like whenever he appeared a "RODAN" Hurricane would pop up... well... in the forest scenes.
I also wonder about the butterflies, are they related to Varan in some way? It was because of them that Varan was discovered... Reminds me of those moths with the eagles in "The Lord of The Rings"...

Shadowplay
Samurai

Post by Shadowplay »

Varan is one of my favorite kaiju ever, especially in Unleashed, but I'm pretty much okay with him not appearing in any major roles. A lot of his appeal is the mystery that surrounds his character, and part of that mystique is due to his limited screen-time.
"Mercy is the mark of a great man." *jab* "Guess I'm just a good man." *jab* "Well, I'm alright."

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

I prefer VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE to DAIKAIJU BARAN...

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mulder »

The funny thing is Varan is my 7th favorite monster LOL. Anyway i really like varan maybe legendary could bring him back or toho could do a baragon for varan put him with Mothra,Mechagodzilla,or King Ghidorah.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Shadowplay wrote:Varan is one of my favorite kaiju ever, especially in Unleashed, but I'm pretty much okay with him not appearing in any major roles. A lot of his appeal is the mystery that surrounds his character, and part of that mystique is due to his limited screen-time.
Pfff, Unleashed? Honestly, his appearance in the game hurt him more than anything.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If only Varan had a better movie. The monster itself has a good design, but Varan just doesn't impress. His destruction scenes aren't like any in Gojira or Rodan, and he's unknown to most people outside kaiju circles. He's like Anguirus, a prehistoric, tooth and claw monster, but lack of film appearances have destroyed his career.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ Anguirus still has a career going. He's Toho's sixth or seventh most popular monster.

Varan is unimpressive, and his movie clearly portrays that.

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mulder »

NSZ wrote:
Terrier wrote:Just think about it... Varan was suposed to appear along side with Godzilla in the project "The Return of King Ghidorah", if this would have hapened as it was planned, he would probably have the role Anguirus is know today for... and we would probably be talking about Anguirus as "that obscure monster from that second movie"...
Don't the Japanese already do that?

Anywayz, Varan is an enigma, definetly. His movie was really nothing special; if anything it was an experiment by Toho of making an 'American monster movie'. The fact it was heavily edited for stateside release wasn't a good sign for the original film either.
No they rember anguirus but not as much as us american fans. ;)

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Legion1979 wrote:
JVM wrote:
Pfff, Unleashed? Honestly, his appearance in the game hurt him more than anything.
Because video game appearances are so important, right?
They are when you're a shitty obscure 50's kaiju with only one film appearance to date and a cameo :roll:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JVM wrote:^ Anguirus still has a career going. He's Toho's sixth or seventh most popular monster.

I should have clarified my statement. What I meant was that Varan is like Anguirus in being a prehistoric animal, but unlike Anguirus, he's hardly known in film or to the general public.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

edgaguirus wrote:
JVM wrote:^ Anguirus still has a career going. He's Toho's sixth or seventh most popular monster.

I should have clarified my statement. What I meant was that Varan is like Anguirus in being a prehistoric animal, but unlike Anguirus, he's hardly known in film or to the general public.
Ah, I understand now.

Although they are different in that Anguirus is based on an actual prehistoric animal, if a bit vaguely so, whereas Varan is a cluster of different animals.