Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Jetty_Jags
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Jetty_Jags » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:31 pm

I have a question regarding the poster for the American release. The general consensus is that it’s a ripoff of the King Kong poster which released the same year stateside, and this makes sense. But what I’m confused about is that gvm seems to have released around April July of that year while King Kong released in December. So was the poster for kong out that early that gvm could rip it? Or was the gvm poster made afterwards? How long did movie posters come out before the film’s release in the 70s?
He Jock it Made of Steel

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:01 am

Kong was a huge upcoming release. The poster was out well in advance of the movie to drum up as much interest as possible.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

szmigiel
Interpol Agent

Postby szmigiel » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:07 am

Back when I was young I always thought their was a connection between the sand/button from the Seatopian agent and the finishing the head of Jet Jauger. Like it provided some clue or material needed. So I was paying close attention to the sequence while watching it on Comet. There is no connection of course, it is just to mention Easter Island. The Easter Island Moai Monoliths were such a big deal in the 70s. But the montage of examining the sand and button blends right into making the head, so I can see why I made that connection in my mind when I was a kid.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”