Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Stump Feet
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Stump Feet » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:49 am

Terasawa wrote:I'm 99.9% sure the Megalon score was newly recorded for that movie, but Manabe reused his Godzilla theme composition (but not the recording) from Hedorah.

That’s gotta be it then because a few themes sound insanely similar, especially the bing boing theme :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:36 am

Both Godzilla Vs. Hedorah and Godzilla Vs. Megalon used the same Godzilla motif with the heroic and triumphant horns that almost sounds like a diesel truck horn being played repeatedly, lol.

But even with that similarity and the same composer, both films sound different and fit the tones of their respective films. GVH has creepier and more intense music to coincide with the horror elements in the film, and GVM is more lighthearted and silly throughout.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:40 pm

And thank goodness that it was an original score, or we might have been deprived of the majesty that is the Jet Jaguar motif, and song!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:31 am

Zarm wrote:And thank goodness that it was an original score, or we might have been deprived of the majesty that is the Jet Jaguar motif, and song!

Agreed. What would we do without that song?
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Jeff-Goldblum2
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jeff-Goldblum2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:32 am

Anyone notice the look on Gigan's face when Jet Jaguars starts to fly and rescues himself and Godzilla from the ring of fire?

Now Gigan's and Megalon's reaction is intentional, but Gigan's jaw is dropped and I wonder if that was also intentional or just because of the design of the suit.

Terasawa
Futurian

Postby Terasawa » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:35 am

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Anyone notice the look on Gigan's face when Jet Jaguars starts to fly and rescues himself and Godzilla from the ring of fire?

Now Gigan's and Megalon's reaction is intentional, but Gigan's jaw is dropped and I wonder if that was also intentional or just because of the design of the suit.

Likely intentional: Megalon's mouth is agape too.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 pm

It's not unusual for kaiju to show reactions or some kind of emotion. Hedorah is closing its eyes in satisfaction as it feeds, and then they fly open as soon as Godzilla's roar is heard. Gigan and Megalon acting shocked that the heroes escape their trap is in the vein. Things like that help audiences connect to these giant monsters.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”