Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby he-ba » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:13 am

And here in America until recently
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........

I don't know even know what a he-ba is......

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

three
Keizer

Postby three » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:06 am

So, the reason I don't like kids in movies is that they have limited uses and roles, or so it would appear. Sometimes they break the mold, but more often than not, you get some annoying kid who's just in the way, r is totally ignorant to what's actually going on (and becomes a hero, somehow, or is abused by the villain), and this is a great example. He exists here just to be the innocent that JJ can be a role model and hero to, who also connects to the kiddy audience at home. I hate it. It's one of the few things I'd change about the Showa films: remove the kid from Megalon.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:36 am

three wrote:So, the reason I don't like kids in movies is that they have limited uses and roles, or so it would appear. Sometimes they break the mold, but more often than not, you get some annoying kid who's just in the way, r is totally ignorant to what's actually going on (and becomes a hero, somehow, or is abused by the villain), and this is a great example. He exists here just to be the innocent that JJ can be a role model and hero to, who also connects to the kiddy audience at home. I hate it. It's one of the few things I'd change about the Showa films: remove the kid from Megalon.

I remember watching the movie with my dad, and the scene where they subdue the Seatopian agent in Goro's lab, the agent flails out, sending poor Rokusan crashing to the floor. The kid was just standing there, unsure of how to grab a flailing adult's arms. And there's where my dad delivered the wham line:
"Look at him! What a worthless kid!"

Should I be angered by that comment, or should I share his opinion? I mean, he was just a kid; how effective would a kid of Rokusan's mass be when it comes to grabbing and holding onto a flailing adult? My only criticism of him was his shorts, but being that I was once that age when I was watching the movie, I sort of understand the kid's point of view. But then again, the kid was light years ahead of me seeing that he invented something that would have never occured to me if I was his age.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm

With the kid it could have been worse. It could have been one those kids from the Gamera films.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

three
Keizer

Postby three » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:26 pm

edgaguirus wrote:With the kid it could have been worse. It could have been one those kids from the Gamera films.

Yes, yes it could have. And I am grateful it was not. Kid aside, it's one of my favorites.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

Kaiser
Interpol Agent

Postby Kaiser » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:02 pm

I've never seen the appeal of the movie.

It's not even bad in a Plan 9 from Outer Space kind of way. It's just bad. It felt like nobody working on the film gave a poop about what they were doing and just wanted to get it out the way as quickly as possible. There really isn't anything the film does well and nothing about its ineptness that's really charming in any way aside from two or three scenes.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Kaiser wrote:I've never seen the appeal of the movie.

It's not even bad in a Plan 9 from Outer Space kind of way. It's just bad. It felt like nobody working on the film gave a poop about what they were doing and just wanted to get it out the way as quickly as possible. There really isn't anything the film does well and nothing about its ineptness that's really charming in any way aside from two or three scenes.

It was a rushed production and it shows.

I'm sure most fans know this by now, but this wasn't even supposed to be a Godzilla film. The titular character was thrown in because Jet Jaguar couldn't a film on his own and even then it didn't perform well domestically. The soundtrack was recycled from Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the special effects budget was so low that it borrows scenes from a film released only a year before. Seeing that both All Monsters Attack and Godzilla vs. Gigan, two stock footage heavy flicks, had pretty solid box office intakes, this film must have been particularly unpopular in its homeland. On the positive side of things, it gave us: Megalon, Jet Jaguar (and his theme song), an awesome dam destruction scene, and Godzilla's tail slide.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:27 pm

You gotta love that JJ theme song.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."

skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 am

kamilleblu wrote:
Kaiser wrote:I've never seen the appeal of the movie.

It was a rushed production and it shows.

I'm sure most fans know this by now, but this wasn't even supposed to be a Godzilla film. The titular character was thrown in because Jet Jaguar couldn't a film on his own and even then it didn't perform well domestically. The soundtrack was recycled from Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the special effects budget was so low that it borrows scenes from a film released only a year before. Seeing that both All Monsters Attack and Godzilla vs. Gigan, two stock footage heavy flicks, had pretty solid box office intakes, this film must have been particularly unpopular in its homeland. On the positive side of things, it gave us: Megalon, Jet Jaguar (and his theme song), an awesome dam destruction scene, and Godzilla's tail slide.

I wouldn't say the soundtrack was 100% recycled from Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster. The theme at the least was recomposed. Godzilla vs. Megalon, to me, used way more synthesizers than any preceding Godzilla movie.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Just got done watching this with my little brother and sister. I hadn't seen it in about ten years, and they'd never seen it at all. We all had fun. I'm not going to sit here and call it good, but it pretty much did what it wanted to do, which was entertain kids and kaiju fans for an hour and a half. The characters are bland, parts of the story make no sense, and it dragged a little at some points, but the monster action more than makes up for all of that. Said action is silly and campy as all hell, and a blast to watch because of that. The monsters just have so much personality, and the fighting is really brutal at times. I loved Jet Jaguar breaking Gigan's arm, especially. The whole final battle is easily one of my favorites in the whole franchise.

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:54 am

The music is definitely NOT "100% recycled" from HEDORAH. I don't care how much one dislikes this movie, that's simply not even remotely true.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Postby KaijuFiend » Fri May 15, 2015 10:46 am

From a critical standpoint, this is a pretty bad film. From a personal standpoint, I enjoy this film. It's fun, and Megalon and Jet Jaguar are interesting kaiju.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm not believer in "so bad it's good," but, assuming basic competence in execution (and sloppy though Megalon may be, it's not incompetent), I can buy a "so weird it's good" from time to time. And this is basically one of those for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

ThunderScore
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ThunderScore » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:44 pm

ImageImage
Last edited by ThunderScore on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Monster Zero
EDF Soldier

Postby Monster Zero » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:46 pm

Is that one of the US Buttons?
Resized Image
Hey You! Do you like Comics?! Me too! Which is why I Partnered With my Best Friend to Create a Comic that we Love to Make! It's Called "Roomies!"
https://tapas.io/series/RoomiesofGuyCity
Please Check it Out if You're Interested!
And here's the official Twitter page! Give us a follow for updates, please!
https://twitter.com/RoomiesComic

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:48 pm

They forgot Godzilla's tail.

Kaijugriffey
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Kaijugriffey » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Remember class the ultimate purpose of giant fire breathing Kaiju is to protect the world from the evil destructive power of small stupid children. The little Timmy's that threaten us all.

I don't know why but I actually like this one. I mean everything about it taken in abstract is just awful. But when thrown together it becomes this glorious campy technicolor madness. Kind of like the Adam West Batman series...
Except for Timmy! That little twerp needs to die in an atomic fire. (and no I have no idea what the kids name was. They're all "Little Timmy". And they're evil. EEEEVVVIIIIILLLLLL!!!!)

GodzillaFanatic2001
Yin-Yang Master

Postby GodzillaFanatic2001 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:59 am

Isn't their name normally Kenny? :P
Last edited by GodzillaFanatic2001 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.

As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Great for any afternoon. Or late night movie.

But not the morning. No, no... Never the morning.
This movie's quality improves by 50% when viewed past noon.

ThunderScore
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ThunderScore » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:03 am

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Isn't their name normally Kenny?

I think that's only in the world of MST...

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:54 pm

Rokuro is the kid's name.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”