Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Kwaidan
Posts: 5517
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby edgaguirus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:32 pm

It's possible the Seatopians came from some other planet and settled in the Earth's oceans thousands of years ago. Our main characters discuss lands like Mu at one point, and aliens creating an undersea kingdom would easily create a myth on ancient Earth. The Seatopians seem very happy underwater, so they'd probably let the Nebulans have the surface once Megalon took revenge on humanity.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Rodan
Futurian
Posts: 1881
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Rodan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Apparently never posted my thoughts in this thread, so here they are in one sentence: This is the only entry in the Godzilla series I struggle to enjoy on even an ironic level.

User avatar
ILL GREEN
Futurian
Posts: 1527
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:41 pm
Location: C'mon, you know where
Contact:

Re: Why Gigan and Megalon?

Postby ILL GREEN » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:27 pm

GojiLamb wrote:I mean [Megalon] never appeared again throughout the Heisei and Millenium series.

I think Megaguirus was supposed to be a neo Megalon of some sort. The hatchlings did look like him in color, eyes and the claws. At least thats what I thought when they were in the sewer. But Megalon is more of a cockroach than a dragonfly.

User avatar
gojira96
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Why Gigan and Megalon?

Postby gojira96 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:09 am

ILL GREEN wrote:
GojiLamb wrote:I mean [Megalon] never appeared again throughout the Heisei and Millenium series.

I think Megaguirus was supposed to be a neo Megalon of some sort. The hatchlings did look like him in color, eyes and the claws. At least thats what I thought when they were in the sewer. But Megalon is more of a cockroach than a dragonfly.

The hatchlings were actually based on creatures from the original Rodan film.

User avatar
Rody
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5161
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Rody » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:17 am

Rodan wrote:Apparently never posted my thoughts in this thread, so here they are in one sentence: This is the only entry in the Godzilla series I struggle to enjoy on even an ironic level.

I still appreciate the film for its stupid innocence. I don't feel like the movie is trying to be anything more than it is; rather, it accepts what it is and just rolls with it, without being obnoxious in its style.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11256
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby eabaker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Rody wrote:
Rodan wrote:Apparently never posted my thoughts in this thread, so here they are in one sentence: This is the only entry in the Godzilla series I struggle to enjoy on even an ironic level.

I still appreciate the film for its stupid innocence. I don't feel like the movie is trying to be anything more than it is; rather, it accepts what it is and just rolls with it, without being obnoxious in its style.


I guess my feelings precisely split the difference between the two of you.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
three
Keizer
Posts: 9474
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 am
Location: Hueco Mundo

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby three » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:26 pm

I love it. The kid is the downside. Everything else checks out as alright in my book.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!


Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

Rodan
Futurian
Posts: 1881
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Rodan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:27 pm

I will say that I expected to like this one more than I did when I saw it for the first tie via Media Blasters' DVD release. On paper, it sounds like a hilarious good time; the kind of thing you could get together with friends for and just have away at.

But everything about it is just so slow and awkward. Who are these characters? Why is here not a single woman in this movie? There's a slow-moving, night-for-day car chase that seems like it lasts ten minutes. Even the utterly hilarious stuff, like Jet Jaguar "programming himself to grow larger" or Godzilla's infamous tail slide are so bogged down by the rest of the film that they just don't deliver the laughs they would on their own by the time you get to them.

Trim about 45 minutes off this movie and make it slightly more comprehensible, and I could be with you on it being a good time. But right now I just don't find it to be so.

User avatar
three
Keizer
Posts: 9474
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 am
Location: Hueco Mundo

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby three » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Another thing I didn't understand was Megalon being the deity or monster of the seatopians. I kinda figured it would be sea based, but it's entirely wrong to assume so. In fact, their "pet" is a giant beetle sleeping on land built seemingly to dig (drill hands). It can also fly. It appears that this gives them leverage over the other worlds, which are the land and sky while they themselves dominate the ocean. Megalon IMO, may be a cyborg to an extent.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!


Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

User avatar
SnickersGoji
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby SnickersGoji » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:32 pm

I loved this movie when I was a kid. I love Jet Jaguar as well.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Godzillian » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:50 pm

The guy who built JJ in this movie is gonna be at g-fest this year.
Image

Legion1979
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11263
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Legion1979 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:47 am

three wrote:Another thing I didn't understand was Megalon being the deity or monster of the seatopians. I kinda figured it would be sea based, but it's entirely wrong to assume so. In fact, their "pet" is a giant beetle sleeping on land built seemingly to dig (drill hands). It can also fly. It appears that this gives them leverage over the other worlds, which are the land and sky while they themselves dominate the ocean. Megalon IMO, may be a cyborg to an extent.


It's a 1970s giant monster film. Don't overthink it.

User avatar
tymon
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3674
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby tymon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:03 am

^Yep. Things like that don't necessarily need to be explained in films like this.

Rodan wrote:I will say that I expected to like this one more than I did when I saw it for the first tie via Media Blasters' DVD release. On paper, it sounds like a hilarious good time; the kind of thing you could get together with friends for and just have away at.

But everything about it is just so slow and awkward. Who are these characters? Why is here not a single woman in this movie? There's a slow-moving, night-for-day car chase that seems like it lasts ten minutes. Even the utterly hilarious stuff, like Jet Jaguar "programming himself to grow larger" or Godzilla's infamous tail slide are so bogged down by the rest of the film that they just don't deliver the laughs they would on their own by the time you get to them.

Trim about 45 minutes off this movie and make it slightly more comprehensible, and I could be with you on it being a good time. But right now I just don't find it to be so.

Agreed 100%. I never knew such a bright, colorful, goofy movie could be so damn dull.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

User avatar
three
Keizer
Posts: 9474
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 am
Location: Hueco Mundo

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby three » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:09 am

Legion1979 wrote:
three wrote:Another thing I didn't understand was Megalon being the deity or monster of the seatopians. I kinda figured it would be sea based, but it's entirely wrong to assume so. In fact, their "pet" is a giant beetle sleeping on land built seemingly to dig (drill hands). It can also fly. It appears that this gives them leverage over the other worlds, which are the land and sky while they themselves dominate the ocean. Megalon IMO, may be a cyborg to an extent.


It's a 1970s giant monster film. Don't overthink it.



Well, I can't deny you have a point legion, but I enjoy it and I like hearing about how other fans have rationalized or explain otherwise unexplained or "open" details of a film.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!


Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

User avatar
Mechagigan
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3928
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Mechagigan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:35 pm

A classic, in an odd sort of way. While it is far from the best Godzilla film, what with it's unrealistic characters and lack of logic, it is also one of the best (on a different scale, of course), due to these same attributes. It's very fun and campy, and is simply a joy to watch, due to how drawn out from reality it is. To be fair, the monster fights, while more like Pro-Wrestling matches, are fun to watch. Megalon itself is an interesting monster, and plays well as a sidekick to Gigan. Jet Jaguar and Godzilla are both enjoyably goofy, too. The plot itself is pretty shallow, and can be unfortunately slow. It has it's moments of enjoyability, though mostly because of it's surrealism. Not a bad entry, and certainly not the best, but definitely fun and enjoyable to at least watch.

4/5.

User avatar
MoK 13
Samurai
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:19 am
Location: Disney World

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby MoK 13 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:46 pm

GVM was my first G movie. The funny thing is that I fell asleep before he shows up. I was 5 and living north of Dallas, TX. I had never seen a Godzilla movie. It was coming on and I was asking my father about the movie and Godzilla in general. He talked about the first movie and KKVG. I was excited and actually scared, being 5 with an overactive imagination. The movie started and I remember the feeling of dread when the earthquakes hit. Then I fell asleep next to my Dad. Dallas had a great local channel that played all the great monster and Sci-Fi movies in the afternoon. In short order I saw GKOTM, KKVG, Mothra, Rodan, & DAM. It was not until we moved to Orlando that I saw GVM again. The great thing was I got to see it in a theater for the kid movies during the summer. I got to see GVM, GVSM, & AMA along with a lot of other older movies.
Godzilla Vs Megalon was my first in 1976, Damn I'm old.

Destroy All Monsters - We might get vaporized along with this base before long. Let’s just relax and have some coffee

User avatar
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:52 pm
Location: Shalimar, FL
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:51 pm

When I was 11 years old, I always wanted to ask the kid in this movie (Rokusan) this question:
"Dude, what's the deal with those short shorts?"
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

User avatar
he-ba
Interpol Agent
Posts: 552
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 am
Location: Sitting home and chatting with my best friend....... Titanosaurus!!

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby he-ba » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:35 am

As the series went on, the shorts got shorter... and shorter..... and shorter......
TK's resident Titanosaurus super-fan

Maybe Minilla was some mutation inside a Kamacarus' ootheca and that's why they attacked..... Maybe Minilla ISN'T the Son of Godzilla! He's some weird Kamacari that Godzilla felt bad for!

..... Nope, the other guys would never accept that..........




I don't know even know what a he-ba is......



HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!!!!!

Legion1979
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11263
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby Legion1979 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:57 am

You guys are aware that all kids dressed that way in Japan, right?

User avatar
skuzzy-punk-kid
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:52 pm
Location: Shalimar, FL
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Postby skuzzy-punk-kid » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Legion1979 wrote:You guys are aware that all kids dressed that way in Japan, right?


Well, as I grew older, yes, I've learned that they used to dress kids like that.
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Shhh! The Octopus and 3 guests