Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:I'm really curious to see how this one plays as the last in a six-movie theatrical marathon. I mean, I'm sure I'll still be totally into it (I'll also be pretty high, as I'm Lyfting to the theater and bringing many edibles), but how much of the crowd is gonna stick around through this?

I'll let you know (unless any of you are gonna be at the Egyptian on the 25th, in which case, let's meet up)!
I mean, Megalon is the type of film to enjoy under the influence, or with the initiated, so I wonder. I guess they chose it as the last, because its the one that takes the least energy to watch or appreciate.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: I mean, Megalon is the type of film to enjoy under the influence, or with the initiated
Or with these guys.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Watch this with my mom yesterday and she kept asking me how does Godzilla know what Jet Jaguar was saying to him and don't get mr wrong my mom really loves these films so it's cool, but she was so confused at this scene but I guess it doesn't matter.

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

I watched this movie and it was kino, I have no idea what all of you are thinking.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Freebleeper wrote:Watch this with my mom yesterday and she kept asking me how does Godzilla know what Jet Jaguar was saying to him and don't get mr wrong my mom really loves these films so it's cool, but she was so confused at this scene but I guess it doesn't matter.
You know, reading that made me realize how desensitized we are all to this.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I remember the Interregnum Years. 2004-2014. There wasn't much to watch out there. You needed a strong stomach to sit through The X From Outer Space and random Asylum movies.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Off topic, I like the X From Outer Space. It can be amusing at times, and Guilala has a good design.

On topic, I don't think it matters how Godzilla understood the robot. To paraphrase a certain song, " tell yourself it's just a show, so sit back and relax."
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Oh, man. It's been a long time since I watched the dub. That kid's voice is scary. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Zarm wrote:That kid's voice is scary. :)
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! WHERE ARE THOSE PLACES?!! I'VE NEVER HEARD OF 'EM BEFORE!!"

Whatever do you mean? :P
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I had the chance to recently watch this after a really long time. It's a fun movie, despite all the obvious stock footage in it. It keeps a fast pace and has a jazzy music score.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

^My sentiments are basically reflected in the above post. I literally just watched this one for the first time in four years, and only now do I see how much of a bizarre film it truly is. The plot is virtually nonexistent, and everything seems to just happen on a whim with little to no explanation given. Seatopian agents infiltrating a robotics lab for what appear to be multiple motives on behalf of their kingdom? Space Hunter M still on Earth after their defeat a year prior (or more, given it is 197X)? Jet Jaguar gaining his own will/sentience as well as size changing powers in the sense of duty, which are later lost after the threat is alleviated? On the flip side of that coin, those things that aren't explained happen to be the most interesting; and as pointed out earlier, could have been saved by just a few extra lines of dialogue.

Yet, aside from the fact that most of the elements of what would make an objectively well-constructed film absent, the movie still has this sort of charm to it that allows it to be an entertaining watch in spite of its glaring flaws. The overall atmosphere is totally 70's, and the final fight is just physical action that relies on no complex effects, just a dirty, up close and personal brawl between the monsters. I honestly didn't find myself bored during the course of watching it, which is something I can't say for other Godzilla films I once enjoyed, but now nearly struggle to get through.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

One major difference that separates GVG and GVM: The Music.

Stock music from previous scores done by Akira Ifukube made that film feel a lot more epic than it really was. Then you watch GVM with this bouncy 70s score, and its like these two films aren't even from the same franchise, much less back to back entries.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GojiDog wrote:One major difference that separates GVG and GVM: The Music.

Stock music from previous scores done by Akira Ifukube made that film feel a lot more epic than it really was. Then you watch GVM with this bouncy 70s score, and its like these two films aren't even from the same franchise, much less back to back entries.
GVM probably should've done stock music too to keep the budget low

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

For the most part, I always liked Megalon’s score, I think it fit the movie very well.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GvsM used a good bit of music from GvsH, didn't it? Haven't seen it in a few years.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

JAGzilla wrote:GvsM used a good bit of music from GvsH, didn't it? Haven't seen it in a few years.
Yes sir, about 2 or 3 that I remember at least
Long Live The Sting

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm 99.9% sure the Megalon score was newly recorded for that movie, but Manabe reused his Godzilla theme composition (but not the recording) from Hedorah.

Edit: The Perfect Collection booklet confirms the GvM score was entirely new. (The booklet for Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla in the same set mentions the films that stock cues were taken from.)
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Terasawa wrote:I'm 99.9% sure the Megalon score was newly recorded for that movie, but Manabe reused his Godzilla theme composition (but not the recording) from Hedorah.
That’s gotta be it then because a few themes sound insanely similar, especially the bing boing theme :lol:
Long Live The Sting

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Both Godzilla Vs. Hedorah and Godzilla Vs. Megalon used the same Godzilla motif with the heroic and triumphant horns that almost sounds like a diesel truck horn being played repeatedly, lol.

But even with that similarity and the same composer, both films sound different and fit the tones of their respective films. GVH has creepier and more intense music to coincide with the horror elements in the film, and GVM is more lighthearted and silly throughout.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

And thank goodness that it was an original score, or we might have been deprived of the majesty that is the Jet Jaguar motif, and song!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!