Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #13: Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Post by eabaker »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
eabaker wrote:
AbudJasemAlBaldawi wrote:I honestly don't find this as bad as most people seem to.
It seems to have undergone something of a critical reevaluation among fans in recent years. I'd say that the extremely poor quality of the editions available in the US for most of the home video era did not help its reputation much.
The quality of editions in the US has nothing to do with anything. People have been more appreciative of this film because more and more people have been able to enjoy it for what it is and not be so critical about it. Hell, I'm one of those people. I enjoy the Hell out of Megalon, and that's a good thing, but it's sure as shit not because it's legitimately good in any way.
You've basically boiled it down to the point of tautology there, though: people appreciate it more because they enjoy it more. You're not looking for any of the potential underlying causes for that shift.

To some degree, whether consciously or unconsciously, audiences always judge a movie based upon how good it looks and sounds, and on the tone suggested by those elements. And, in the case of Godzilla vs. Megalon, the shift in people's response to the movie has largely corresponded to the increased availability of half-way decent looking releases of the movie.

A less drab picture legitimately changes the tone of the movie, and makes it easier to appreciate it in the intended spirit, because the nature of the visuals is a fundamental aspect of how cinema works.

I'm not suggesting that this is the sole cause for a widespread critical reevaluation, nor am I saying it is necessarily the primary factor; I am saying only that it is very possibly one of multiple factors.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

eabaker wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:
eabaker wrote:
It seems to have undergone something of a critical reevaluation among fans in recent years. I'd say that the extremely poor quality of the editions available in the US for most of the home video era did not help its reputation much.
The quality of editions in the US has nothing to do with anything. People have been more appreciative of this film because more and more people have been able to enjoy it for what it is and not be so critical about it. Hell, I'm one of those people. I enjoy the Hell out of Megalon, and that's a good thing, but it's sure as shit not because it's legitimately good in any way.
You've basically boiled it down to the point of tautology there, though: people appreciate it more because they enjoy it more. You're not looking for any of the potential underlying causes for that shift.

To some degree, whether consciously or unconsciously, audiences always judge a movie based upon how good it looks and sounds, and on the tone suggested by those elements. And, in the case of Godzilla vs. Megalon, the shift in people's response to the movie has largely corresponded to the increased availability of half-way decent looking releases of the movie.

A less drab picture legitimately changes the tone of the movie, and makes it easier to appreciate it in the intended spirit, because the nature of the visuals is a fundamental aspect of how cinema works.

I'm not suggesting that this is the sole cause for a widespread critical reevaluation, nor am I saying it is necessarily the primary factor; I am saying only that it is very possibly one of multiple factors.
I have to agree with you on this. I believe another factor is that younger Godzilla fans were introduced to Godzilla with this movie being the first or one of the first (like myself, with Terror of MechaGodzilla, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and Godzilla vs. Hedorah) .

This factors in the feeling of nostalgia, heck I still have my vhs copies of Godzilla vs. Megalon even though I now have higher quality versions of the film. Keeping the old vhs tapes of this movie inspired me to keep all my old copies of every Godzilla movie I have.

Anyway my point is that fans like myself loved this film as kids so now that we have grown up we have swayed the opinion around by voicing our love for this film.

I also know that some older fans love this film as well, but they were a small minority, but with newer generations of fans putting their thoughts into the pot that minority has gotten bigger and people are now starting to look at the film differently.

As you said it is only one of many factors for this reevaluation.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzillian wrote:Really wish the commentary for this media blasters Steve Ryfle & Stuart Galbraith IV made could be heard some place
Well, it can be. You just have to have the rare accidental release with the special features.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've always enjoyed G vs Megalon. What kid didn't like seeing JJ, or Godzilla doing the tail slide? The beauty of G vs Megalon is that it doesn't take itself seriously, and that makes it an enjoyable entry in the franchise.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I rather enjoy G vs M quite a bit. It was one of the few I could rent and watch at home. When MonsterVision showed them I would never miss it. I like it a lot. Then as an adult I still do, but then you start seeing all the critiques and flak this movie gets. I just gave up and said damn it, I like it, why should my opinion on this movie be swayed by people on the internet? You could have Ebert sit me down and explain the why and even then I would still say "Fuq it I like it". I mean you have one of the most Iconic Godzilla moment in it (Beside the flying moment). All in all It's not an Oscar contender but it should have won something for that tail slide drop kick.

Neogeddon
Monarch Researcher

Post by Neogeddon »

I got to see this on the big screen last night.
Unfortunately it was an amateur riff team sort of deal, and one of them was... extremely unfunny. And loud. And the jokes during the monster scenes were mostly what you'd expect ("Haha, zipper! Haha, models! Lol, I saw a suspension wire for a split second! Soooo bad! Is this Pokemon GO?!? ROFL"). To be fair, the riffing on the human scenes was legitimately funny at times. And the audience actually got really into the climax fight scene. That was cool to see.
Anyway...
I know this is often considered one of the worst films in the series, and I can kinda see why? The plot is beyond stupid and has too many threads. Some scenes are edited really strangely and some shots hang way too long. Then there's things that make no sense, like when the kid steals a model plane from a store, and throws it at one of the villain's face as he's exiting their house - what was the point? Why not just pick up a rock from your driveway and use that?
But... Damn, is it all very silly and fun. On a technical level it's such a mess but I can't help but grin the whole way through. Very few scenes are boring to me (there's "better" movies that have some long stretches of boring scenes - looking at you, Godzilla vs. Destroyah). And I loved seeing Gigan and Megalon get all chummy like they're BFFs. The monsters show so much personality. Godzilla is a heroic defender, Gigan is cheeky and sadistic, Megalon is a dumb baby that just follows the leader, and Jet Jaguar is... uh... Actually, he didn't really do much. But I still like him. I guess.
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Frezgle wrote:and Jet Jaguar is... uh... Actually, he didn't really do much. But I still like him. I guess.
Yeah, for all that this movie kinda acts like it's a vehicle for JJ, it really doesn't do him many favors...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Post by SomeknowmeasXeno »

I think this is actually my favourite Showa film alongside Vs MechaGodzilla and Destroy All Monsters. Showa may be my least favourite era but I can legitimately enjoy Vs Megalon and the other two films all the way through.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

eabaker wrote:
Frezgle wrote:and Jet Jaguar is... uh... Actually, he didn't really do much. But I still like him. I guess.
Yeah, for all that this movie kinda acts like it's a vehicle for JJ, it really doesn't do him many favors...
Well, he DID kick ass before Gigan showed up :P
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Post by godzillalives88 »

One thing I've noticed on a recent viewing is during the opening earthquake, Anguirus appears to fall underground on Monster Island.

Likewise, I wonder if the opening scene of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (which I've always found very confusing), is meant to communicate that Anguirus has since reemerged.

Probably not, but it does function as a nice little piece of continuity if you want to look at it that way. I remember a G-Fan article saying that the Mechagodzilla screenplay indicates Anguirus is supposed to be in Syberia during the opening, which makes even less sense.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

godzillalives88 wrote:One thing I've noticed on a recent viewing is during the opening earthquake, Anguirus appears to fall underground on Monster Island.

Likewise, I wonder if the opening scene of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (which I've always found very confusing), is meant to communicate that Anguirus has since reemerged.

Probably not, but it does function as a nice little piece of continuity if you want to look at it that way. I remember a G-Fan article saying that the Mechagodzilla screenplay indicates Anguirus is supposed to be in Syberia during the opening, which makes even less sense.
The anguirus scene takes place after he gets beaten by Mechagodzilla. You can tell due to the state of his jaw. I read that too and while it could make sense nothing of the film indicates it.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Godzillian wrote:
godzillalives88 wrote:One thing I've noticed on a recent viewing is during the opening earthquake, Anguirus appears to fall underground on Monster Island.

The anguirus scene takes place after he gets beaten by Mechagodzilla. You can tell due to the state of his jaw. I read that too and while it could make sense nothing of the film indicates it.
OH! Interesting. I've honestly never considered that as a possibility. Thanks!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Haha, wat. "The state of his jaw". Come on now..the Anguirus suits was six years old by that point. It had gone through two starring roles, and one cameo that wasn't stock footage (Megalon). I think it's safe to say that the suit looked the way it does because it had been through a lot, not because 'the scene takes place after Mechagodzilla breaks his jaw'.

Where is this information is sourced from, exactly? Because if it's G-Fan, then I think it's safe to say that nobody should be taking it seriously.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Idk man that stuff on the mouth looks like dried blood to me

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

That's snow. The same stuff is brushed off a hill he passes by. And there's no way the scene takes place after the later battle with Mechagodzilla.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

Terasawa wrote:That's snow. The same stuff is brushed off a hill he passes by. And there's no way the scene takes place after the later battle with Mechagodzilla.
So maybe it is Siberia then...? Idk, either way it's a weird scene.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Yeah, where does it take place? I've heard the aforementioned Siberia, I've heard Hokkaido, I've heard Okinawa and Mt.Fuji (is there even snow in those locations?) and a bunch of other places. No one seems to know! :)
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

godzillalives88
Interpol Agent

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Yeah, where does it take place? I've heard the aforementioned Siberia, I've heard Hokkaido, I've heard Okinawa and Mt.Fuji (is there even snow in those locations?) and a bunch of other places. No one seems to know! :)
And also...WHY is he there? It doesn't seem to have any significance to the overall plot.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

godzillalives88 wrote:And also...WHY is he there? It doesn't seem to have any significance to the overall plot.
He manages to chip a little of fake Godzilla's covering off, and, in a hilarious display of genre-savviness, provides a clue to the main characters that all may not be as it seems, as Godzilla is attacking his "friend."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Rodan wrote:
godzillalives88 wrote:And also...WHY is he there? It doesn't seem to have any significance to the overall plot.
He manages to chip a little of fake Godzilla's covering off, and, in a hilarious display of genre-savviness, provides a clue to the main characters that all may not be as it seems, as Godzilla is attacking his "friend."
I believe they're talking about Angilas's pre-credits scene, not his initial fight with MG.

And I have no answer, other than more Angilas is always a plus in my book.