Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

Post by Ivo-goji »

One of my favorite Showa movies. Amazingly fun cast and kaiju.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

King Kong Escapes needs an action/adventure anime
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Heh heh, back when i watched this one for the first time, i remember how dad and me used to laugh at how goofy Kong looked like

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I saw this for the first time last year I think. Aired on Svengoolie on METV. I was so excited as I've always wanted to see it and I was not disappointed. Just a fun campy kaiju flick and Kong had me laughing with some of his antics. I really like this one.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Is there any logical way this could be in continuity with King Kong vs Godzilla and the rest of the loose Showa continuity?
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Two Kongs, one smaller than the first. Simple.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:Is there any logical way this could be in continuity with King Kong vs Godzilla and the rest of the loose Showa continuity?
I doubt it. KKE is its own film, and a fun one at that. It does have a connection with DAM, but only because Gorosaurus is in it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Bandai Namco's Kaiju Guide article for Gorosaurus makes this matter pretty confusing.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_ ... gorosaurus
Gorosaurus, the Primeval Monster

An evolved relic species of the Allosaurus, a carnivorous dinosaur from the late Jurassic Period. It moves nimbly and uses its long tail as a springboard to pounce and attack. Its ultimate attack is a two-legged flying kick that can connect from as far as 30 meters away.

Although carnivorous, the Gorosaurus is not savage at heart. The first one discovered on Mondo Island was eventually defeated by King Kong, but another was bred on an isolated island at a safe haven called “Monsterland.” Though manipulated by the Kilaaks to destroy the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, it later joined the army of earth monsters in the fight against King Ghidorah.

Gorosaurus’s model has proven quite popular due to its lifelike realism. Die-cut latex mixed with sawdust was applied to the skin over the entire body to achieve a sense of hardness and mass.
Godzilla

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

"Bred"
Interesting…

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

But, of course, that was written after the fact, and none of it is confirmed or even suggested by what's on screen, so it has no actual bearing on the movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

eabaker wrote:But, of course, that was written after the fact, and none of it is confirmed or even suggested by what's on screen, so it has no actual bearing on the movies.
It doesn't suggest it's the same Gorosaurus from KKE either.
And I'm pretty sure all this comes straight from Toho, so that makes it real enough for me.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
eabaker wrote:But, of course, that was written after the fact, and none of it is confirmed or even suggested by what's on screen, so it has no actual bearing on the movies.
It doesn't suggest it's the same Gorosaurus from KKE either.
Never said it did suggest that. The movies give no explanation, and thus there simply is no diegetic explanation.
And I'm pretty sure all this comes straight from Toho, so that makes it real enough for me.
To my mind, a statement coming from Toho doesn't really mean anything, per se, if it's anything other than an explication of the intent at the time of writing/production. It could come directly from a panel of Honda, Tanaka, Kimura and Arikawa, but if it was something they decided after the movie was made, it wouldn't have any significance to the movie itself.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ Well no, of course it doesn't have any significance to the film, and even if it is retcon, that doesn't make it any less interesting

Toho states the Goro in KKE was a lot smaller than the one in DAM, and I'm pretty sure there's a Toho book laying around that states the Goro in DAM is known as Gorosaurus 2, so it's not like it'd be hard to believe, in their crazy plots, that they made another Gorosaurus to live on Monsterland.
Nothing significant, but still cool to read
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's only natural you'd want to breed a giant carnivorous monster that has the strength to rip apart a city for scientific study.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Or, you know, "Gorosaurus 2" could (and probably does) just mean that it's the second Gorosaurs among Toho's science fiction films. Those books have always jumbled them all together. It doesn't mean they're within the same continuity.

It's unfortunate that the whole "Everything's canon" nonsense has found its way in here.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:"Bred"
Interesting…
BINGO!

DINO DNA! :g2k:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Goji wrote:Or, you know, "Gorosaurus 2" could (and probably does) just mean that it's the second Gorosaurs among Toho's science fiction films. Those books have always jumbled them all together. It doesn't mean they're within the same continuity.

It's unfortunate that the whole "Everything's canon" nonsense has found its way in here.
There were 3 different Gorosaurus' from three different universes.

Gorosaurus 1 is from the King Kong Escapes universe. Living on Mondo Island he fought and was killed by King Kong.

Gorosaurus 2 is from the Showa Godzilla universe. Chronology, he fist appeared in Godzilla vs Gigan living on Monster Island. Then he reappears in Destroy All Monsters where now he lives on Monsterland. This Gorosaurus is much bigger than the original one and even has a a different roar.

Gorosaurus 3 is from the Go! Godman universe. Here he battles the giant superhero Godman and is blown to bits. This Gorosaurus is bigger than the original but not as big as the second one. He also has a different roar.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

In the above interpretation, I replace the word "universe" with "diegesis." Referring to different universes, in fandom circles, tends to imply some sort of parallel existence that can be crossed over; it's still treating them as part of a single continuity, albeit a splintered one.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Gorosaurus 2: Electric Boogaloo

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This place is turning into the Gorosaurus thread.