Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

Post by Godzillian »

I have the book that refers to Gorosaurus 1 and 2. The second Gorosaurus is basically designated as the second time a member of the species appeared.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

edgaguirus wrote:This place is turning into the Gorosaurus thread.
Well, he is one of the best parts of the movie.

I actually recently rewatched this since I got the Blu-Ray. It's more fun than I remember. Dr. Who is a fun villain, Gorosaurus and Mechani-Kong are both cool, and the film has a cartoon like tone which I think works. Kinda feels like a Bond film, especially with the evil scientist having his lair in the middle of the Arctic.

I think Kong himself is one of weaker aspects. Really not a fan of that design. Makes me miss the '62 suit.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GalacticPetey wrote:
Hey, don't forget about the Giant Sea Snake!

Poor GSS. Every other Toho kaiju tends to have a name. Even the Giant Condor and Giant Octopus are called "Ookondoru" and "Oodako" by certain fans from time to time. But the GSS has no name what-so-ever.

I mean, the Giant Lizard doesn't have a name either, but it's just a cat-sized Iguana, nothing special. Poor GSS is actually a kaiju.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:There were 3 different Gorosaurus' from three different universes.
Yeah, I already knew all of this information..It's not really relavent to what I was talking about, anyway.
Godzillian wrote:I have the book that refers to Gorosaurus 1 and 2. The second Gorosaurus is basically designated as the second time a member of the species appeared.
This, on the other hand, is, and is exactly what I suspected. Pretty sure I have the same book but, you know, I don't speak/read Japanese.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:
Hey, don't forget about the Giant Sea Snake!

Poor GSS. Every other Toho kaiju tends to have a name. Even the Giant Condor and Giant Octopus are called "Ookondoru" and "Oodako" by certain fans from time to time. But the GSS has no name what-so-ever.

I mean, the Giant Lizard doesn't have a name either, but it's just a cat-sized Iguana, nothing special. Poor GSS is actually a kaiju.
Then we'll give the sea snake a name.....

Elasomora.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

edgaguirus wrote: Then we'll give the sea snake a name.....

Elasomora.
Nah, the name needs to be 70% O's.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Well, Giant Sea Snake translates as Jaiantoshīsunēku, and if that isn't a good name, I don't know what is. :)
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Jaianto works just fine.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Okay...so...I like this film with the only real
flaw being the horrible King Kong suit.

Mechani-Kong is cool...
Gorosaurus is awesome...
Dr. Who is creepy...
Madame Piranha has great fashion sense...
&
Susan Watson is a cutie...(when she isn't yelling "KONG!")

But...I has a question:

Is there anyway to buy a legit copy of the Japanese
version of this film? I only own (& have seen) the
American dub.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Grievous wrote:Is there anyway to buy a legit copy of the Japanese
American dub.
Toho’s region 2 DVD is the only legitimate release of the Japanese version to date, however, as with all Toho DVDs there are only Japanese subtitles.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Terasawa wrote:
Grievous wrote:Is there anyway to buy a legit copy of the Japanese
American dub.
Toho’s region 2 DVD is the only legitimate release of the Japanese version to date, however, as with all Toho DVDs there are only Japanese subtitles.
This is something that bothers me intensely. All I want is the Japanese cut with English subtitles. That's it. It doesn't seem to be a big issue with other Japanese titles (from what I've gathered watching Asian horror). I'm so tired of watching the versions with giant block English text covering beautiful Japanese openings in the Millennium series.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:
This is something that bothers me intensely. All I want is the Japanese cut with English subtitles. That's it. It doesn't seem to be a big issue with other Japanese titles (from what I've gathered watching Asian horror). I'm so tired of watching the versions with giant block English text covering beautiful Japanese openings in the Millennium series.
The Wonderful World of Bootlegs, DVD & BD-R is your friend! :D ;)

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Terasawa wrote:Toho’s region 2 DVD is the only legitimate release of the Japanese version to date, however, as with all Toho DVDs there are only Japanese subtitles.
That's a shame...

:(
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
The Wonderful World of Bootlegs, DVD & BD-R is your friend! :D ;)
I only know of one site, it's where I got my Kong vs. Godzilla Japanese cut from. I guess some day I'll cave and rebuy them all from him. Just wish we'd get official releases. Like I said, it doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone else except Toho.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Is Gorosauras the only monster in history to share screen time with both King Kong and Godzilla?

If so, then Goro low key had some awesome moments in the sun. He got to fight Kong, team with Godzilla to fight Ghidorah, and because of mishaps with Baragon, got a huge money moment in DAM by destroying the Arc De Triumph.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

GojiDog wrote:Is Gorosauras the only monster in history to share screen time with both King Kong and Godzilla?

If so, then Goro low key had some awesome moments in the sun. He got to fight Kong, team with Godzilla to fight Ghidorah, and because of mishaps with Baragon, got a huge money moment in DAM by destroying the Arc De Triumph.
He straight up had the best moment in that DAM fight too. That kangaroo kick is one of the most iconic moments of the Showa series imo. I love Gorosaurus. I wish Toho would bring him back some day.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

If I was a kid in Japan back in 1967 and saw this magazine on the rack, I think it would give me nightmares.

Those eyes.....

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:If I was a kid in Japan back in 1967 and saw this magazine on the rack, I think it would give me nightmares.

Those eyes.....
He's taking joy in ripping that snake apart.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Does anyone else think Kong looks like a Gorg from Fraggle Rock in that picture?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

This movie will forever hold a special place in the ranking of kaiju films simply because of the scene with the rock falling on the serpents head. Perfectly executed.