Talkback: King Kong Escapes (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Re: King Kong Escapes

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Ah yes King Kong escapes a really good flick to watch it for fun or just to kill time either way it's still a fun toho flick. My favorite character was Gorosaurs. When he died i was like ah man they killed off the most likable character in the film. Its probably my second or third favorite film with Kong in it. My rating 4 out of 5
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

GodzillavsJason wrote:Ah yes King Kong escapes a really good flick to watch it for fun or just to kill time either way it's still a fun toho flick. My favorite character was Gorosaurs. When he died i was like ah man they killed off the most likable character in the film. Its probably my second or third favorite film with Kong in it. My rating 4 out of 5
Whats your two favorite movies with Kong in them then?
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaDude wrote:
GodzillavsJason wrote:Ah yes King Kong escapes a really good flick to watch it for fun or just to kill time either way it's still a fun toho flick. My favorite character was Gorosaurs. When he died i was like ah man they killed off the most likable character in the film. Its probably my second or third favorite film with Kong in it. My rating 4 out of 5
Ok heres my favorite from least favorite

King Kong(1933)
King Kong escapes or King Kong 2005
King Kong vs Godzilla
King Kong lives and King Kong 76 I don't really care for those two but all the other ones are great.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ KK76 is pretty dull, but I'm a bit shocked you don't find it superior to KKL. I'm usually told it's one of the most unbearable films of all time.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

GodzillavsJason wrote:
GodzillaDude wrote:
Ok heres my favorite from least favorite

King Kong(1933)
King Kong escapes or King Kong 2005
King Kong vs Godzilla
King Kong lives and King Kong 76 I don't really care for those two but all the other ones are great.
I'll rank mine too. In order from favorite to least favorite.

Peter Jackson's King Kong
King Kong vs Godzilla
King Kong Escapes
King Kong (1933)
King Kong 76
King Kong Lives
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Whoops sorry i forgot Son of Kong ill rerank them.
King Kong(19933)
King Kong escapes and King Kong 2005
King Kong vs Godzilla
Son of Kong
King kong 76 and King kong are tied.
52 wins and 27 loses

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

King Kong (1933) (Dur, the best Kong film hands down)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (Japanese version only)
King Kong Escapes
King Kong (2005)
Son of Kong
King Kong Lives (wretched film, but it was one of my first Kong films as a kid, and I can appreciate it's lunacy, probably only thanks to nostalgia)
King Kong (1977) (No dinosaurs on Skull Island give this film an instant fail in my book, amongst it's many other problems)

THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN (1977) is easily my favorite Kong knockoff. I've never see" A.P.E.", but it makes KING KONG LIVES look golden in comparison.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Anyone here ever seen THE MIGHTY GORGA?

Monsterzero 1965
Monarch Researcher

Post by Monsterzero 1965 »

I like this movie better than King Kong vs. Godzilla because of Dr. Who and his minions. If only Toho had made a third Kong movie movie with Mr. Tako and his employees and Dr. Who, that would be a dream come true.

For my Kong Rankings:
King Kong (1933)
King Kong Escapes
King Kong vs. Godzilla or King Kong (2005)
King Kong (1976)
King Kong Lives

Haven't seen Son of Kong yet.

My favorite Kong knockoff is Mighty Peking Man (1977) because it's actually a decent movie; the photography looks pretty darn nice and the special effects and miniatures look decent. It also has Evelyne Kraft going for it.
My least favorite is A*P*E, I wanted to turn it off at the begining with the shark fight and it all goes downhill from there. My verdict: don't waste your money on this movie like I did, watch some other movie instead.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Some promo art for THE MIGHTY GORGA -

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ LOL, good lord...I'll have to track down A.P.E. and THE MIGHTY GORGA just for shits and giggles. KONGA is another one I haven't seen...but man does it look bad.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Not to poop anybody's party, but people seem to have forgotten that the thread is about King Kong Escapes, and not a "favorite to least favorite Kong movie" thread, or whatever. :lol:
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Back to topic, KKE can be silly, but it's the enjoyable kind of silly.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

On another note, who agrees with me that Mie Hama is EXTREMELY hot as Madame Piranha?
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

I'd say that this film has no shortage of hotness.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

I've only seen this dubbed, but hearing Paul Frees' voice from Eisei Amamoto's mouth makes it all a-okay. It's a fun movie, nevertheless. The monster fights are fun, the SPFX are decent, and Ifukube's music is pretty memorable. Gorosaurus and Mechani-Kong are great additions to the Toho line-up of kaiju, and Dr. Hu is a fantastic villain. Still, the leads are forgettable and I don't recall Linda Miller's acting being all too good.

I kinda wish Rankin-Bass had commissioned more King Kong films from Toho, though. I think a whole series of these flicks could've rocked. Finally, why the HELL can I not find the Japanese version of this on the net?! *er-hem*

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Dash 7 wrote:On another note, who agrees with me that Mie Hama is EXTREMELY hot as Madame Piranha?
She was also hot in KK vs G.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

DaikaijuSokogeki! wrote:I

I kinda wish Rankin-Bass had commissioned more King Kong films from Toho, though. I think a whole series of these flicks could've rocked.
Meh, too many Japanese Kong flicks and they'd be pure Jabootu or Stomp Tokyo fodder.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

King Kong Escapes (1967)

Post by Julia Bristow »

What are your thoughts about King Kong Escapes? This film is an adpatation of a saturday morning cartoon show called The King Kong Show which was produced by Rankin/Bass who also were the co-producers of this film. This film is prety fun to watch and it has a great score by Akira Ifukube and the american dubbing for this film is pasable at best and has some nice effect scenes and boasts some good kaiju battles like Kong vs Gorosaurus, Kong taking on a sea serpant and his battle against his mechanical counterpart Mechanikong. While neither the best or worst film Ishiro Honda has done it is pretty enjoyable if you are bored and need something to watch on a rainy saturday morning. (I've only watched the Universal version not the Japanese original so I dunno what changes were made if there were any made)
Last edited by Julia Bristow on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

kpa
G-Grasper

Re: King Kong Escapes (1967)

Post by kpa »

I used to watch the KING KONG cartoon on TV as a kid so I always liked that there was a movie version, too. KING KONG ESCAPES is a fun movie, and as long as people understand its based on a cartoon and isn't meant to be taken too seriously they should enjoy it.