Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm

King Caesar wrote:...the crap stain All Monsters Attack.


...is a thousand times more entertaining that the 90s films or Final Wars. <3
[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Ethan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:21 pm

I've watched Godzilla vs. Gigan recently and noticed that the shot at the end in which Godzilla turns to farewell the main characters is the same one in the opening credits when he fires his breath, something I hadn't figured out all these years. Regardless it's a fun film, very campy and colorful.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"
User avatar
Ethan
G-Grasper
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Legion1979 wrote:
DaiKamonohashi wrote:
King Caesar wrote:...the crap stain All Monsters Attack.


...is a thousand times more entertaining that the 90s films or Final Wars. <3


*high fives his new best friend, DaiKamonohashi*


*high fives*
[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:18 am

-_- *sighs* if you say so...
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ectsasy but don't love, I am nothing. - 1 Corinthians 13:1

Kubo
Resident 001

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 9750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:30 am

I do say so. <3
[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby hammysammy59 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 am

I think the fact that Godzilla is freaking falling apart is a bigger problem than the copious stock footage... though not by much.

That said, the movie is too much silly fun to really be hateable. It's a mess, but it's a charming, campy, entertaining mess. Plus it's our introduction to Gigan!

I feel like you can apply the criticism/complaints/compliments directed at Gigan to the whole run of 70s Godzilla movies. The overall production values are a lot lower, but the imagination, fun and weirdness are sky-high. I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.
Haters gonna hate
User avatar
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby TokyoVigilante » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:44 am

I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.

Best thing said in the entire thread.

Really, regardless of their films quality, the 70s gave us some of the best additions to the Godzilla roster.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
User avatar
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier
 
Posts: 3126
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: Swashing Buckles

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 am

hammysammy59 wrote:I think the fact that Godzilla is freaking falling apart is a bigger problem than the copious stock footage... though not by much.


They stem from the same root problem so I'd say they're about equal.

Poor Fukuda - as much as I adore his films, I would love to have seen him direct a Godzilla film with the same sort of budget as Honda had in the early sixties. Nakano really got to flaunt his effects prowess in Return of Godzilla and I wish Fukuda had been given a similar chance at a bigger-budgeted entry.
[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaikaijuSokogeki! » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am

Legion1979 wrote:No, no, no, you don't understand. They only used stock footage because they were too lazy to care and didn't mind whoring out Godzilla to children for a cheap buck when they still should have been making meaningful, serious films for adults.


Exactly. After all, Toho didn't whore Godzilla out at all when they made those more meaningful films pre-1965. Didn't you know that Toho released Godzilla Raids Again six months after its predecessor because Toho truly wanted to tell another multi-layered and dark story that would change the world, and they just couldn't wait to film it? :D
User avatar
DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: Norfolk. VA

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Yeah the Godzilla suit looks like crap, but i gotta say that anguiras looked sharp in his first appearance with the JSDF. King Ghidorah was just bleh and Gigan was pretty sweet. I have like Gigan more recently, maybe because i realized that he is so unique compared to the other kaiju. And then Megalon is his complete opposite and that is kinda cool to see opposites fight on the same team...
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ectsasy but don't love, I am nothing. - 1 Corinthians 13:1

Kubo
Resident 001

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 9750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Showa Gyaos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:28 pm

It's not so much that I hate Gigan--I love him for his exotic appearance and overall character--but like Manda's debut in Atragon, it was the movie I thought killed the mood.
Gawdziller wrote:Elizabeth Olsen's Army of Darkness skeleton impersonation was pretty painful to sit through.

Oh wait, that was just Elizabeth Olsen.

Showa Gyaos
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 6504
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: West Virginia

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm

gigan greatest movie.
[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:07 am

Does anyone think Gigan could do a solo movie?
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ectsasy but don't love, I am nothing. - 1 Corinthians 13:1

Kubo
Resident 001

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 9750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby hammysammy59 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:46 am

I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.
Haters gonna hate
User avatar
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Guilala vs. Gigan: Giant Space Chickens All-Out Attack

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter
 
Posts: 13428
Team: BPRD
Favourite Kaiju: Rodan
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:22 pm
Location: US-MS

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:18 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.


Yeah thats how I feel...I never saw that in GFW, which really was a letdown, but the entire movie was as well so no surprise.
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ectsasy but don't love, I am nothing. - 1 Corinthians 13:1

Kubo
Resident 001

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 9750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Killswitch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Godzilla vs Gigan gets a lot of love on this forum, but its one of my least favorite Godzilla films. I don't care for the story, and when you add a ton of stock footage + crappy suits and effects, it really is a mess! I don't see the charm in this film like other members.
User avatar
Killswitch
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Killswitch wrote:Godzilla vs Gigan gets a lot of love on this forum, but its one of my least favorite Godzilla films. I don't care for the story, and when you add a ton of stock footage + crappy suits and effects, it really is a mess! I don't see the charm in this film like other members.


-sigh- well to each his own, mate. this movie doesn't boast your top-of-the-line special effects, acting, or plot, but it has some fun charm to it that the early ones lack and the new ones have forgotten. Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ectsasy but don't love, I am nothing. - 1 Corinthians 13:1

Kubo
Resident 001

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 9750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 am

King Caesar wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)


I have no idea what you're talking about. There was no great "director switch" after DAM.

Ghidrah - Honda
Monster Zero - Honda
GvsThe Sea Monster - Fukuda
Son of Godzilla - Fukuda
DAM - Honda
G's Revenge - Honda
GvsHedorah - Banno
GvsGigan - Fukuda
GvsMegalon - Fukuda

Unless you're inferring that there was a major change simply because Honda wasn't involved for a couple of years but Fukuda had been a major player in the series since well before DAM.

Also, here's another reason why this movie is amazing:

[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby RodanRedux » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 am

TokyoVigilante wrote:
I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.

Best thing said in the entire thread.

Really, regardless of their films quality, the 70s gave us some of the best additions to the Godzilla roster.


Hell yes they did.


King Caesar wrote:Does anyone think Gigan could do a solo movie?


As a fan I would love to see a solo outing for Gigan, but realistically it wouldn't work, he needs other Kaiju to shine best, preferably Godzilla.
-FINIS-
User avatar
RodanRedux
Samurai
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 am

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
King Caesar wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)


I have no idea what you're talking about. There was no great "director switch" after DAM.

Ghidrah - Honda
Monster Zero - Honda
GvsThe Sea Monster - Fukuda
Son of Godzilla - Fukuda
DAM - Honda
G's Revenge - Honda
GvsHedorah - Banno
GvsGigan - Fukuda
GvsMegalon - Fukuda

Unless you're inferring that there was a major change simply because Honda wasn't involved for a couple of years but Fukuda had been a major player in the series since well before DAM.

Also, here's another reason why this movie is amazing:



Uhm...well that's lovely. I think what you said is what I meant, just wasn't sure how to word it I guess. Anyways, I love GvGi and I think that Fukuda was a great director for it.
If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ectsasy but don't love, I am nothing. - 1 Corinthians 13:1

Kubo
Resident 001

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 9750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Showa Series (30's-70's)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users