Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:07 am

Does anyone think Gigan could do a solo movie?

Kubo
Maximus

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: My Bed. Zzz...

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby hammysammy59 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:46 am

I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.
Haters gonna hate
User avatar
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:18 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.


Yeah thats how I feel...I never saw that in GFW, which really was a letdown, but the entire movie was as well so no surprise.

Kubo
Maximus

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: My Bed. Zzz...

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Killswitch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Godzilla vs Gigan gets a lot of love on this forum, but its one of my least favorite Godzilla films. I don't care for the story, and when you add a ton of stock footage + crappy suits and effects, it really is a mess! I don't see the charm in this film like other members.
User avatar
Killswitch
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Killswitch wrote:Godzilla vs Gigan gets a lot of love on this forum, but its one of my least favorite Godzilla films. I don't care for the story, and when you add a ton of stock footage + crappy suits and effects, it really is a mess! I don't see the charm in this film like other members.


-sigh- well to each his own, mate. this movie doesn't boast your top-of-the-line special effects, acting, or plot, but it has some fun charm to it that the early ones lack and the new ones have forgotten. Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)

Kubo
Maximus

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: My Bed. Zzz...

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 am

King Caesar wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)


I have no idea what you're talking about. There was no great "director switch" after DAM.

Ghidrah - Honda
Monster Zero - Honda
GvsThe Sea Monster - Fukuda
Son of Godzilla - Fukuda
DAM - Honda
G's Revenge - Honda
GvsHedorah - Banno
GvsGigan - Fukuda
GvsMegalon - Fukuda

Unless you're inferring that there was a major change simply because Honda wasn't involved for a couple of years but Fukuda had been a major player in the series since well before DAM.

Also, here's another reason why this movie is amazing:

[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby RodanRedux » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 am

TokyoVigilante wrote:
I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.

Best thing said in the entire thread.

Really, regardless of their films quality, the 70s gave us some of the best additions to the Godzilla roster.


Hell yes they did.


King Caesar wrote:Does anyone think Gigan could do a solo movie?


As a fan I would love to see a solo outing for Gigan, but realistically it wouldn't work, he needs other Kaiju to shine best, preferably Godzilla.
-FINIS-
User avatar
RodanRedux
Samurai
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 am

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
King Caesar wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)


I have no idea what you're talking about. There was no great "director switch" after DAM.

Ghidrah - Honda
Monster Zero - Honda
GvsThe Sea Monster - Fukuda
Son of Godzilla - Fukuda
DAM - Honda
G's Revenge - Honda
GvsHedorah - Banno
GvsGigan - Fukuda
GvsMegalon - Fukuda

Unless you're inferring that there was a major change simply because Honda wasn't involved for a couple of years but Fukuda had been a major player in the series since well before DAM.

Also, here's another reason why this movie is amazing:



Uhm...well that's lovely. I think what you said is what I meant, just wasn't sure how to word it I guess. Anyways, I love GvGi and I think that Fukuda was a great director for it.

Kubo
Maximus

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: My Bed. Zzz...

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby hammysammy59 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 am

King Caesar wrote:
hammysammy59 wrote:I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.


Yeah thats how I feel...I never saw that in GFW, which really was a letdown, but the entire movie was as well so no surprise.


In GFW his cowardice and under-handedness took a back seat to him being more of a cocky dumbass, which I thought was pretty fun too. In GFW he was more like "HA, look at my bitchin' weapons, you don't stand a chance, buddy! Hey, what's that blue stuff coming out of your--SHIT"
Haters gonna hate
User avatar
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm

And then his second death, he turns around to pose, unaware of his blades that were flying around and they cut his head off... :lol:

Kubo
Maximus

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: My Bed. Zzz...

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby hammysammy59 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Haha, yeah I love that. It's like he got even more cocky after he got resurrected and upgraded. "Heh, there's no WAY I can lose this time! SHIT"
Haters gonna hate
User avatar
hammysammy59
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Killswitch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:38 am

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
King Caesar wrote:
Killswitch wrote:Definitely an interesting mood, but I assume that was with the director switch after DAM (it was after DAM, right?)


I have no idea what you're talking about. There was no great "director switch" after DAM.

Ghidrah - Honda
Monster Zero - Honda
GvsThe Sea Monster - Fukuda
Son of Godzilla - Fukuda
DAM - Honda
G's Revenge - Honda
GvsHedorah - Banno
GvsGigan - Fukuda
GvsMegalon - Fukuda

Unless you're inferring that there was a major change simply because Honda wasn't involved for a couple of years but Fukuda had been a major player in the series since well before DAM.

Also, here's another reason why this movie is amazing:



You need to direct your question to King Caesar, because it was his quote not mine. Looks like there was a "cut & paste" error?

Great picture!
User avatar
Killswitch
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:21 am

Yuriko Hishimi For The Noms. I've got a pretty large folder of her modeling work, actually. XD
[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Killswitch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:04 pm

DaiKamonohashi wrote:Yuriko Hishimi For The Noms. I've got a pretty large folder of her modeling work, actually. XD


I would like to see more. Can you start a topic on General Discussions?
User avatar
Killswitch
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Killswitch wrote:
DaiKamonohashi wrote:Yuriko Hishimi For The Noms. I've got a pretty large folder of her modeling work, actually. XD


I would like to see more. Can you start a topic on General Discussions?


Well a good two-thirds of it is NUDE modeling work, which is, mind you, totally awesome but I suspect it goes against this board's rules.
[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
User avatar
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Goji  » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 pm

She's certainly a looker, but I've gotta say, she doesn't look nearly that good in the film itself.
User avatar
Goji 
Kwaidan
 
Posts: 5767
Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla, Hedorah
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Killswitch » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
Killswitch wrote:
DaiKamonohashi wrote:Yuriko Hishimi For The Noms. I've got a pretty large folder of her modeling work, actually. XD


I would like to see more. Can you start a topic on General Discussions?


Well a good two-thirds of it is NUDE modeling work, which is, mind you, totally awesome but I suspect it goes against this board's rules.


Yes, I saw a couple of her nudes on the net.
User avatar
Killswitch
JXSDF Technician
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Kubo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:32 pm

Yay...from Godzilla vs Gigan to nude pictures...gentlemen (and ladies), i believe we are making progress.

Kubo
Maximus

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter
 
Posts: 10588
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:33 pm
Location: My Bed. Zzz...

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Kyono_Rei » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:25 pm

HayesAJones wrote:This movie is simply pure fun. It's no masterpiece, but it's incredible entertaining. Gotta love the Godzilla and Anguirus tag-team duo!


Agreed.

I think the low points are:
- the slow and often not too interesting start.
- Stock-footage of toy tanks that look too much like... toy tanks. Why didn't they use stock footage that actually looks good?
-Also the stock anguirus footage in different lighting and scenery. It seems like they got about 3/4ths of the fight filmed very well, then just slap-put the ending togeather. Dissapointing, as the start of their battle was very promising and could end up as THE Toho kaiju battle of all time if it was not for the sloppy finishing, stock footage and cut-and-paste editing.
- TNT in cardboard boxes. They could have at least used wooden crates or something. That's just sloppy prop making. Its just like Toho to produce some great explosions and special effects and then make a big fail over some pretty simple prop.
- The "deus ex machina" TNT operation is kind of a plot hole. I have problems believing that with so much assents and so advanced technology the aliens would leave the complex so unguarded that massive amount of explosive can be brought in on foot. One would think they would have a sentry tower or something. I think the screenplay writer should have created some more original and believable way for them to destroy the tower.

Good sides:
- The night battle between Anguirus&Godzilla vs Gigan&KG is very fun. The scene of the docks being destroyed is some good special effects, often you couldn't see that it was just a small studio set, many times it really looked like a regular size city and refinery going up in flames. Had some pretty dramatic scenes, like when Goji gets cut and bleeds.
- The aliens are your lovable B-film giant insects, that's cheesy but also fun. Plus i think that while they are one-dimensional, their background of being last survivors of a enviromentally devastated planet is kind of intriguing and I think it could have been even better if the script dwelled on them a bit more.
- The main human hero is kind of funny and likable. He is the "happy-go-lucky" dude who actually can think his way out when push comes to shove. He is ok as far as b-movies go.
- Some of the early driving sequences have that cool fisheye lens effect. I have not noticed that before, just when I re-watched the film today. Its a small thing, but still a nice touch.
- Another nice small touch is the capsule-tower lookalike in kid land. Just noticed taht the capsule tower was finished the same year they released this film. I think its a hidden tribute to the architect.
Sorry for any speling mistakes, typos or the occasional Engrish. Native speakers, please show me mercy ;)
User avatar
Kyono_Rei
Samurai
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby G-fan4life » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Anyone else notice the banana scene where they all are eating in a circle, then they leave to find out about the Chairman...

Y would you just toss the banana up in the air as you leave (anyone else catch that?)
User avatar
G-fan4life
Yin-Yang Master
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby UnCanny Studios » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Guardian7 wrote:I don't know if anyone had already done this or not. but here is a pretty decent image of the flash from Gigan's forehead (I assume they were suppose to put an optic beam travel line in it originally - or at least that is what I have read).



The frozen image looks pretty good. It does indeed look like something is going to happen from that spot on his forehead.

Cool pic that I am sure everyone will enjoy.


Awesome! I've read into the "beam" legend, and of course it is on several posters (Gigan shooting a laserbeam from his forehead), but I've never noticed this part in the film! Thanks for posting this image.
GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!
User avatar
UnCanny Studios
Interpol Agent
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Showa Series (30's-70's)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users