Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Re: Godzilla Vs. Gigan : The Following

Postby Tohosaurus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:13 pm

The film itself is fail, but Gigan is cool.
고질라

한국. 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren
Tohosaurus
EDF Soldier

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:49 pm

Godzilla Vs. Gigan is my favorite film of all time.

Fukuda a bad director? Hardly! He's very stylish, actually, and he does just as good a job at directing the characters as Honda did. As an aspiring amateur filmmaker I would actually say that Fukuda has had a far greater influence on my own style than Honda (though I have crazy amounts of respect for Honda). The worst directors in the series were Omori and Okawara. Oh, and the guy who directed Space Godzilla. Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, vsGigan, vsMegalon, and vsMechagodzilla are all leagues better than the five excuses for films that came out of the 90s.
[DaiKamonohashi - kiryugoji04 - Dark Faust - Jared P. Foust]
[His films!] - [His deviantArt!] - [His Everything Else!]
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Postby Kubo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:07 pm

GvGi has some moments that really make it unique and just fun in general. Okay that stock footage thing sucks and i can agree with that, but take away that part and you find yourself with a sugar coated turd. It may be bad in reality, but to some of us it is a sweet treat. :D
King Caesar: R.I.P. (2010-2014)

Kubo
Interpol Chief

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Team: Interpol
Favourite Kaiju: King Caesar

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:25 pm

I don't really see it as bad for what it is. The script is silly but it's still effective - actually, it probably even has fewer plot holes than, say, Monster Zero! By the standards of 1970s tokusatsu, the plot is exactly what it ought to be - if you don't believe me, go watch the same year's Ultraman Ace and you'll find that Gigan's plot isn't even half as ridiculous as the stuff they cook up there. The absurdity is entirely intentional, so I hesitate to call it bad for that reason.

As for the stock footage, it kind of couldn't be helped. The film industry was literally dying at that point in time and Godzilla movies were still being produced merely for Toho's children's festivals. Given those restrictions, copious stock footage was about all that they were able to get away with until Toho decided to raise the budget for the 20th anniversary and Mechagodzilla. I would have preferred entirely new footage but I find the stock footage incredibly entertaining. It becomes a game, almost - what movie did this scene come from? Spot Mothra! Etc. The stock footage is about the only thing I'd call "bad" but it's forgivable to me, given the state of the industry. Everything else is merely par for the course for 70s tokusatsu.
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Postby Kubo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 pm

Okay Legion, they were on a tight budget from the Oil Crisis in the 70's (it has some affiliation with Toho and its business...) and Toho didn't want to end with the crap stain All Monsters Attack. The making of the stock footage infested films wasn't for the biggest wow's from critics and it wasn't intended for adults. Godzilla needed to change to continue advancing the series. Was this bad? I say no...Godzilla made some of the classicest (that is a word i just now made) movies in Toho history in the 70s and i argue that Toho didn't continue to whore out Godzilla, but to keep him going, since they knew they were onto something big...literally i suppose...

Kubo
Interpol Chief

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 pm

King Caesar wrote:...the crap stain All Monsters Attack.

...is a thousand times more entertaining that the 90s films or Final Wars. <3
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Postby Ethan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:21 pm

I've watched Godzilla vs. Gigan recently and noticed that the shot at the end in which Godzilla turns to farewell the main characters is the same one in the opening credits when he fires his breath, something I hadn't figured out all these years. Regardless it's a fun film, very campy and colorful.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"
Ethan
Futurian

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Legion1979 wrote:
DaiKamonohashi wrote:
King Caesar wrote:...the crap stain All Monsters Attack.

...is a thousand times more entertaining that the 90s films or Final Wars. <3

*high fives his new best friend, DaiKamonohashi*

*high fives*
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Postby Kubo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:18 am

-_- *sighs* if you say so...

Kubo
Interpol Chief

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:30 am

I do say so. <3
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Postby hammysammy59 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 am

I think the fact that Godzilla is freaking falling apart is a bigger problem than the copious stock footage... though not by much.

That said, the movie is too much silly fun to really be hateable. It's a mess, but it's a charming, campy, entertaining mess. Plus it's our introduction to Gigan!

I feel like you can apply the criticism/complaints/compliments directed at Gigan to the whole run of 70s Godzilla movies. The overall production values are a lot lower, but the imagination, fun and weirdness are sky-high. I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.
Haters gonna hate
hammysammy59
JXSDF Technician

Postby TokyoVigilante » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:44 am

I shudder to imagine a Godzilla universe without monsters like Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla.

Best thing said in the entire thread.

Really, regardless of their films quality, the 70s gave us some of the best additions to the Godzilla roster.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 am

hammysammy59 wrote:I think the fact that Godzilla is freaking falling apart is a bigger problem than the copious stock footage... though not by much.

They stem from the same root problem so I'd say they're about equal.

Poor Fukuda - as much as I adore his films, I would love to have seen him direct a Godzilla film with the same sort of budget as Honda had in the early sixties. Nakano really got to flaunt his effects prowess in Return of Godzilla and I wish Fukuda had been given a similar chance at a bigger-budgeted entry.
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Postby DaikaijuSokogeki! » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am

Legion1979 wrote:No, no, no, you don't understand. They only used stock footage because they were too lazy to care and didn't mind whoring out Godzilla to children for a cheap buck when they still should have been making meaningful, serious films for adults.

Exactly. After all, Toho didn't whore Godzilla out at all when they made those more meaningful films pre-1965. Didn't you know that Toho released Godzilla Raids Again six months after its predecessor because Toho truly wanted to tell another multi-layered and dark story that would change the world, and they just couldn't wait to film it? :D
DaikaijuSokogeki!
G-Grasper

Postby Kubo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Yeah the Godzilla suit looks like crap, but i gotta say that anguiras looked sharp in his first appearance with the JSDF. King Ghidorah was just bleh and Gigan was pretty sweet. I have like Gigan more recently, maybe because i realized that he is so unique compared to the other kaiju. And then Megalon is his complete opposite and that is kinda cool to see opposites fight on the same team...

Kubo
Interpol Chief

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby Showa Gyaos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:28 pm

It's not so much that I hate Gigan--I love him for his exotic appearance and overall character--but like Manda's debut in Atragon, it was the movie I thought killed the mood.

Showa Gyaos
Kwaidan

Geiger Counter

Postby DaiKamonohashi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm

gigan greatest movie.
DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Postby Kubo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:07 am

Does anyone think Gigan could do a solo movie?

Kubo
Interpol Chief

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Postby hammysammy59 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:46 am

I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.
Haters gonna hate
hammysammy59
JXSDF Technician

Postby Tyler » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Guilala vs. Gigan: Giant Space Chickens All-Out Attack

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter

Team: BPRD
Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby Kubo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:18 pm

hammysammy59 wrote:I love Gigan and all, but I don't think he could carry a solo movie. Part of the fun of Gigan, for me at least, is his cowardly, cocky personality, and you really need another monster or two to really showcase that. Gigan's a great teammate until things start turning sour, then he's the first to throw you under the bus and run for the hills. He's such a dick, and it makes him a super fun character.

Yeah thats how I feel...I never saw that in GFW, which really was a letdown, but the entire movie was as well so no surprise.

Kubo
Interpol Chief

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

PreviousNext

Return to Showa Series (30's-70's)