Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Living Corpse wrote:IMO this movie is how to make a good movie when you only have enough time to use stock footage for most of the effects bits.

The misleading thing is that the stock footage isn't even that important to the movie, and the film would be fine, and be substantial without it.

All the stuff with Angurius, minus a quick moment with Ghidorah is completely new. That includes the scenes of him swimming with Godzilla, coming ashore and encountering the military, and fighting Gigan.

The movie also has a really good destruction sequence in a city, that lingers, something that really had been lacking since the original film. That entire sequence with Gigan and Ghidorah, if you removed the stock footage, would have been more than enough. All the stuff with Godzilla and Gigan, and the tower, is a lot as well.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Obviously it would have been preferable to have filmed entirely new FX sequences but I think all three of the stock footage heavy Godzillas (Revenge, Gigan, and Megalon) use their recycled footage to their strengths. I don't think Megalon would have the same frenetic energy had the stock footage been assembled and implemented as it had in Godzilla vs. Gigan.

But all that said, it's this film that uses stock footage to replicate what had been the norm for the franchise in the 1960s, so I think that's why a lot of fans prefer how it was done here.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

szmigiel
Interpol Agent

Postby szmigiel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:58 am

I think Toho shouldn't have made this film, instead fill the slot in the Champion Festival with a recut 60's film. Then spent more time making a movie that didn't try to reuse so much footage from past films. I don't mind the plot, I like Gigan and Space Hunter Nebula M Cockroches, just think the final project is hurt by trying to splice in as much footage of Ghidorah as possible.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:29 pm

It's hurt by that, yes, but otherwise the movie is very fun and introduced both Gigan himself, one of Toho's more visually standout creations, and the idea of Godzilla and Anguirus as friends and allies. The good outweighs the bad several times over.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Agreed. G vs Gigan isn't perfect, but it's a good and entertaining film. As for the stock footage, I feel it serves, rather than takes away from, the film. In addition, we have a great city destruction sequence and Anguillas.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

szmigiel
Interpol Agent

Postby szmigiel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Not saying Gigan shouldn't have been used, he could be introduced in the film that they make instead. Most of the script ideas featured introducing Gigan and Megalon. Honestly if I was going to pick a kaiju to represent space cockroaches, it would be Megalon (Blasphemy I know).

As far as Anguirus rep for being Godzilla's dog, it is do to this film, but his rep for being an aggressive bullheaded fighter was already cemented in DAM when he charged Ghidoarh. As far as the friend and allies, you can make the comment that long time ally Rodan was kicked to the curve in the Champion Festival films and replaced by Anguirus (cause his suit was newer).

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:08 pm

szmigiel wrote:I think Toho shouldn't have made this film, instead fill the slot in the Champion Festival with a recut 60's film. Then spent more time making a movie that didn't try to reuse so much footage from past films.

I think money was the ultimate factor, not time, and I don't think holding off for a year would have granted the eventual film a larger budget.

In fact, time apparently wasn't a factor at all. According to Yoshimitsu Banno, Hedorah was shot over the summer of 1970 (released in July 1971) and a cast photo of Gigan shows the A-unit's principal photography was completed in November 1971, months before the March 1972 release. The Champion Festival films evidently weren't rushed to completion. Atragon, by comparison, was planned and shot and released in the span of about three months, and yet that's still one of the great Toho sci-fi productions.

What really hurt the Champion Festival films was that they were made during a very down time for the Japanese film industry. Toho dissolving the special effects department after Tsuburaya's death didn't help at all, either.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

szmigiel
Interpol Agent

Postby szmigiel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Yes the output by Honda and Tsuduraya in the 60's was amazing. The only one that really suffered was Ghidorah when they couldn't really animate Godzilla's breath and they didn't quite have controlling Ghidorah heads down right. For me this film has the worst effects over all in the franchise.
The Gigan and Ghidorah flying models looks horrible, and are completely out of scale with Godzilla tower.
The night filter on the Ghidorah stock footage.
The mixing of footage where the suits are very different. Godzilla suit falling apart as it is being filmed.
The choice of King Ghidorah and Anguirus so they can use as much stock footage as possible.
The whole pointless scene where Anguirus swims to Japan to get attacked by Maser, Just to swim back to monsterland. Only to turn around and swim back to Japan with Godzilla. And Godzilla saying "Hurry UP".

Now the hippies Vs space cockroaches, that I like.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 am

szmigiel wrote:As far as the friend and allies, you can make the comment that long time ally Rodan was kicked to the curve in the Champion Festival films and replaced by Anguirus (cause his suit was newer).

You can make that argument. That's a pretty good, argument, even. I wish I had anything to counter that with other than "...but ANGUIRUS." Rodan did anticlimactically disappear in the '70s, and is still struggling to get his spotlight back to this day. I liked his Starscream role in KOTM, but he certainly wasn't a legitimate co-star like in 1964...

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”