Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby JAGzilla » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Weird and strange are right. I was thinking about this movie's story last night, and... well, try to look at it from a neutral, non-fan's perspective, and tell me that this thing does not sound completely nuts. Alien cockroaches building an amusement park with which to take over the world? A comic book artist and his karate-trained girlfriend teaming up with corn-wielding hippies to take them down in a plan involving hot-air balloons? Godzilla and Anguirus talk to each other, with actual English dialogue in one version? They take on a mind-controlled three-headed dragon and a flying cyborg cyclops space chicken with a skreeonking buzzsaw in its stomach? A museum shaped like a life-sized Godzilla replica and armed with lasers in its mouth? There's some out-there stuff going on in this movie.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:16 pm

eabaker wrote:I definitely also favor the weird and strange - Hedorah is solidly my favorite G-flick of the 70s - but I'd put Gigan in that category as well. :)

We should be friends.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:21 pm

JAGzilla wrote:Weird and strange are right. I was thinking about this movie's story last night, and... well, try to look at it from a neutral, non-fan's perspective, and tell me that this thing does not sound completely nuts. Alien cockroaches building an amusement park with which to take over the world? A comic book artist and his karate-trained girlfriend teaming up with corn-wielding hippies to take them down in a plan involving hot-air balloons? Godzilla and Anguirus talk to each other, with actual English dialogue in one version? They take on a mind-controlled three-headed dragon and a flying cyborg cyclops space chicken with a skreeonking buzzsaw in its stomach? A museum shaped like a life-sized Godzilla replica and armed with lasers in its mouth? There's some out-there stuff going on in this movie.

Sounds like the plot of a crazy anime.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Grievous wrote:I guess...

I mean..."Karate Girlfriend" is pretty cool...
but everyone else is kind of boring to me.

I guess I'll nearly always go with the weird
& strange in the Godzilla franchise...its just
how I roll.

Yeah, like eabaker said the characters are really entertaining in this one. Also how did you forget Corn Cob Hippie? He's a god.

I'm also a big fan of the weird entries. Vs Gigan is one of them.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:30 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Yeah, like eabaker said the characters are really entertaining in this one. Also how did you forget Corn Cob Hippie? He's a god.

I prefer young hippie chick...but whatever.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I'm also a big fan of the weird entries. Vs Gigan is one of them.

I actually don't class vs. Gigan in as a "weird" one...but that's just me.
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Remember that time I confessed that I don't like Godzilla vs. Gigan?
Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
I consider Megaguirus the worst. Hate that film

That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98

Whoa whoa Gigan doesn't deserve that shiit!! Where's goji89?! He'll have a heartattack!

goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98

^^^____^^^^_______^^^^^^^^___________________________
Flatlined.

I mean Ive read some stupid, crazy, mean, ignorant, absurd, funny, ridiculous and wholesome....things here in TK but I have never seen such a post that just breaks all Godzilla norms. I truly believe sir that we all here at TK feel sorry for that opinion (or whatever the hell you call it) and that you seek help immediately.

Gigan has the most memorable scenes in the franchise. Talking Goji and Anguirus, red blood, violent as hell, the corn guy, hippies, giant alien roaches, stock footage galore and the fighting stage is a theme park for crying out loud.....I mean, Jesus....I gotta sit down.

Well folks, I busted out the ol' 50th Anniversary DVD from 2004 and I'm giving it a second chance after years of not watching it! Will my opinion change? Probably not!
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Dr. Professor wrote:Remember that time I confessed that I don't like Godzilla vs. Gigan?
Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98

Whoa whoa Gigan doesn't deserve that shiit!! Where's goji89?! He'll have a heartattack!

goji89 wrote:

Flatlined.

I mean Ive read some stupid, crazy, mean, ignorant, absurd, funny, ridiculous and wholesome....things here in TK but I have never seen such a post that just breaks all Godzilla norms. I truly believe sir that we all here at TK feel sorry for that opinion (or whatever the hell you call it) and that you seek help immediately.

Gigan has the most memorable scenes in the franchise. Talking Goji and Anguirus, red blood, violent as hell, the corn guy, hippies, giant alien roaches, stock footage galore and the fighting stage is a theme park for crying out loud.....I mean, Jesus....I gotta sit down.

Well folks, I busted out the ol' 50th Anniversary DVD from 2004 and I'm giving it a second chance after years of not watching it! Will my opinion change? Probably not!

A man has DIED, Professor, have you no DECENCY?!
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Remember that time I confessed that I don't like Godzilla vs. Gigan?
Maritonic wrote:

goji89 wrote:
Flatlined.

WAIT I'm actually really enjoying it so far! The main characters are actually very charming and fun. Though I don't care much for the antagonists, and I wish Anguirus didn't have such dead eyes. But other than those two things I'm having a great time with it.

Resized Image

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Dr. Professor wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

WAIT I'm actually really enjoying it so far! The main characters are actually very charming and fun. Though I don't care much for the antagonists, and I wish Anguirus didn't have such dead eyes. But other than those two things I'm having a great time with it.

GO ON, PROFESSOR, GO ON!
Resized Image

goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby goji89 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Dr. Professor wrote:WAIT I'm actually really enjoying it so far! The main characters are actually very charming and fun. Though I don't care much for the antagonists, and I wish Anguirus didn't have such dead eyes. But other than those two things I'm having a great time with it.

^^^_____________^^^^______^^^........*cough* Keep watching professor, I think we can get through this....All three of us.

Maritonic and I believe youll like it....open your eyes and mind.
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

GO ON, PROFESSOR, GO ON!

Gengo's girlfriend is really great! The dynamic between the two of them is very entertaining. Gigan looks absolutely fantastic and there's a lot of great shots during the rampage. However, the quality of his suit really amplifies how poor Godzilla, Anguirus, and Ghidorah look. And the stock footage is too obvious for me to not be thoroughly annoyed by it. These two things make me wish that Ghidorah had just been left out of the film entirely, but I'm sure they threw him in for box office reasons.

goji89 wrote:
^^^_____________^^^^______^^^........*cough* Keep watching professor, I think we can get through this....All three of us.

Maritonic and I believe youll like it....open your eyes and mind.

Oh my god, you're alive! It's gonna be alright, Goji89! It's already out of my bottom 5!
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resized Image

goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby goji89 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 pm

Dr. Professor wrote:Oh my god, you're alive! It's gonna be alright, Goji89! It's already out of my bottom 5!

You're just what the doctor ordered.

:cry: .....Do you still believe Maritonic..... in miracles....

YAY!!!!!!!

It's not on his bottom 5!

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:27 pm

goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:Oh my god, you're alive! It's gonna be alright, Goji89! It's already out of my bottom 5!

YAY!!!!!!!

I ordered myself? :shock:

I got genuinely excited when Godzilla and Anguirus showed up to fight Gigan and Ghidorah.

Resized Image

goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby goji89 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Dr. Professor wrote:
goji89 wrote:

YAY!!!!!!!

I got genuinely excited when Godzilla and Anguirus showed up to fight Gigan and Ghidorah.

Damn right you ordered yourself.

Godzilla vs Gigan has its flaws no denying that, but its just so much fun to just enjoy a movie once in a while even with its flaws, thats the beauty of the Showa era series or any Godzilla movie for that matter. Just let the movie take you there.

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:50 pm

goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
goji89 wrote:

YAY!!!!!!!

Damn right you ordered yourself.

Godzilla vs Gigan has its flaws no denying that, but its just so much fun to just enjoy a movie once in a while even with its flaws, thats the beauty of the Showa era series or any Godzilla movie for that matter. Just let the movie take you there.

You're right, man. There's truly nothing like the Godzilla series. There's something to enjoy in every film. I have my least favorites but damn it I still appreciate those movies. You could come to my house and tell me we were gonna Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle For Earth, which is my least favorite Godzilla film of all time, and I would stop everything I'm doing and pop that poop in. Because I love this giant, atomic dinosaur that damn much.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resized Image

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:05 pm

No doubt it has flaws but like Goji said it's just a lot of fun. Glad you enjoyed it more.
Resized Image

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:13 pm

It's probably the most unpolished (yes, even moreso than Megalon) of the 70's films but yeah the characters are engaging and the monster designs are fun. But there are a lot of flaws to it, however personally I'm willing to overlook them since the protagonists and story are so fun.

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Ok y'all I just finished it! I had a lot of fun. As stated before, the characters are really fun, and in fact, I wish Toho would've brought them back for one of the next films. They were definitely the highlight of the movie. The monster action was a little lackluster, but it had its moments. After rewatching this and, not too long before it, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Gigan is definitely one of my favorite kaiju. His Showa incarnation is vastly superior to his Millennium counterpart, design aside. If I had to give the film a letter grade, I'd give it a C. Like I said, it's no longer in my bottom 5. I'll have to watch it a couple more times to really solidify where it stands, but for now it's sitting at #19 for me. Right below Godzilla vs. Megalon, and right above Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla.

Now I'm gonna go give Godzilla vs. Biollante a second chance as well.

Resized Image

goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby goji89 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Dr. Professor wrote: Now I'm gonna go give Godzilla vs. Biollante a second chance as well.

:eh: .......Bro, Something wrong with Godzilla V Biollante? Please elighten me with your vastly superior movie critique.

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:51 pm

goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Now I'm gonna go give Godzilla vs. Biollante a second chance as well.

:eh: .......Bro, Something wrong with Godzilla V Biollante? Please elighten me with your vastly superior movie critique.

:lol: I just found a good chunk of it boring the first time I watched it (which was also years ago). But trust me, I wanna love it, which is why I'm rewatching it right now.

Resized Image

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”